Outdoors
Sponsored by

Nilgai: How I learned about a new level of soreness

5,544 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Buckhaven
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got drawn for a rifle exotic hunt at East Lake NWR. So that basically means hogs and nilgai, even though there might be some other exotic ungulates running around. Jumped 3 bulls Thursday morning, plus a cow, but it's so thick they disappear in a split second. Then had another bull sneak across the road behind me, and I couldn't get a shot once I saw him.

It rained all night until about noon today. Got out there around 12:30, and rode my bike in to where I had seen the bulls yesterday. Slowly snuck down the road for about a mile until it started opening up a bit near the lake. Saw something to my left about 50 yards away, and there were 5-8 bulls just standing there. Got my rifle up, tried to find one with the biggest horns before they bolted, and BAM! Bull down.

These SOB's are huge. Luckily another guy that was hunting had drug his game cart in and let me borrow it. I shot the thing at 1:30, and didn't start hauling him out until 5:45. I have to go back in the morning and get the last two quarters that are hanging in a mesquite.

These things are tough to take apart. Doing it by yourself is doable, but I highly recommend a second (or third) set of hands. Their skin is crazy thick and dulls knives in short order. Plus their size; this one was probably 500# at least.

Wodanaz
AG
Very nice! Can't wait for my Nilgai hunt this year.
CrossTimbersW
AG
Awesome!!

Also I don't know if I'm excited or disappointed that you used a game cart.

On one hand I'm excited that you used a game cart because it makes you a normal human being like most of us but on the other hand I picture Log as a super human being with an ugly toe that would never need a silly game cart.........

Either way looks like you've got lots of delicious meat for the foreseeable future!
giddings_ag_06
AG
That's a badass cape.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Congrats man! That's awesome.

I'm starting to get too old for those solo draw hunts that involve long treks and long dead animal hauls. I think I'm still sore from hauling out that muley at Big Bend Ranch State Park.
Gig 'em! '90
Log
AG
Work smarter, not harder.
Log
AG
Also, I will add that at 50 yards, a nilgai bull will stop a 180 gr TTSX, out of a .300 RUM, at 3100 FPS.

cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah!!! Way to go brother! Congrats on an awesome bull
EFE
AG
Badass!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Gotta ask…your toe all good?
Gig 'em! '90
Log
AG
Per OnX, I walked 10 miles yesterday and 5 today, so I'm going with the Magic 8 Ball and "It is decidedly so."
C@LAg
pretty sure this is a covert humble brag.
DargelSkout
AG
Congrats. I've been thinking about seeking out a nilgai hunt next year.
Aggiewes
AG
Congratulations! Have fun today!
BurrOak
AG
Nice job, man!

Log
AG
150# of happiness on my back getting the rest of him out this morning.

I wear a size 13 boot. These things are insanely large and stout.

Log
AG

Log
AG
WTF TA?! It's two nilgai quarters hanging in a tree.

@WatchOle

Fix this image flagging crap.
Ragoo
AG
Yum. Good eatin right there.
Jason C.
AG
Bros that's a horned donkey
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Nice work!!!

Nilgai hunting is so fun. It's a bear to gut one and get them loaded with a winch even when you can drive up right next to it. Can't imagine packing one out on foot.

How far from the kill site to your vehicle?
Ag 11
AG
Good work
Ag 11
AG
How do they taste? Haven't got to try one yet
MilanoCowboy
AG
Congrats! I also hear they're good eating.
Appreciate you sharing.
Milano Cowboy
hurricanejake02
AG
Ag 11 said:

Amazing. Super lean though, so you'll need binders and fat for anything ground or processed.
stdeb11
AG
Awesome. Nilgai is on the short list of hunts to go on for me because I've heard all the greatness about the meat....looks like some good type 2 fun
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Ag 11 said:

Amazing. Super lean though, so you'll need binders and fat for anything ground or processed.

This. I call the butcher at HEB and get them to save me some beef fat while they are trimming cuts. When I make burger out of it I add 10% of the total weight in beef fat and it is amazing. Awesome ground meat.
Ag 11
AG
Dang. That sounds good
mtngoat3006
I rather pack a half-dozen nilgai out of south Texas than one Shiras moose in Montana... Good job on the nilgai!!! That's some fine eatin' tight there!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hell yeah! Congratulations
AV8ORAG84
AG
Nice solid Bull too! Congrats
Every day is a Holiday, Every Meal is a Banquet, My upperclassmen treat me like a brother, God I LOVE IT HERE!!!!
Log
AG
2 miles.
TheGroupGuy
Nice Bull. Killed a few but always had a winch some 2x12's and a pickup to haul them back
BradMtn346
Congratulations! Cool pictures and great story. I don't know a lot about them, but that seems like a pretty good bull. Prettier than I recognized. Looks to be about the same size as a small bull elk, or really big cow, of which I've packed several, so I feel your pain. Nice job.
Buckhaven
AG
Have been fortunate to hunt nilgai in south Texas for about the last 20 years. Humble brag, I know.

Meat is very lean. Process to sausage is best at 60/40 pork to nilgai or sausage is too dry. Like to cut back strap into little filets and marinade for shish kabobs. You don't burn up your veggies trying to cook the meat. Chicken fried blackstrap is great as well, just have to tenderize the crap out of the meat.

Whichever way you cook it, don't overcook. It becomes worse than leather.

Great looking bull!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.