Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backstrap stuffing recommendations

4,289 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag 11
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an axis backstrap I'm gonna butterfly and stuff. Normally do cream cheese and jalapeƱo wrapped in bacon, but wouldn't mind trying something different.

I'm thinking about using this prlckly pear chili pequin jam as a glaze. Will wrap in bacon also. Mainly looking for something different for the middle
FJB
HumbleAg04
AG
Working hard to ruin some of the best red meat in the world.
tandy miller
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

I guess I should fry it?
FJB
Post removed:
by user
dmperch
AG
Pretty much what you do but we stuff with cream cheese, onions, and peppers and then wrap in bacon, season, and drizzle with honey at the end. Other times we'll just deep fry the backstrap by itself, following to see what other people do too
tmaggies
AG
Why not just cook it like a steak medium rare?
tandy miller
AG
jayelbee said:

Anything you stuff it with is going to be raw if you cook the meat to 125-130.

I'm not going to stuff more meat in (twss)
FJB
Aggieangler93
AG
I like to sear it in a pan with some olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and eat it medium ish. Tenderloin is the only thing I prefer off a deer more than backstrap done this way. I will also chicken fry backstrap. Being as it is the most tender and least gamey part of a deer to me, I wouldn't think of stuffing it with anything.
tandy miller
AG
tmaggies said:

Why not just cook it like a steak medium rare?
I do that also. Ive got 3.5 deer worth of backstrap processed into cutlets and steaks. I want to try something different. I butterfly and do pork loins like this frequently, and beef loin on occasion. They always turn out good.
FJB
hammerhead
HumbleAg04 said:

Jeez..no kidding, just grill it medium rare..WTH are you thinking?
hammerhead
hammerhead said:

HumbleAg04 said:

Jeez..no kidding, just grill it medium rare..WTH are you thinking?
You just cannot coach that kind of hustle
tandy miller
AG
hammerhead said:

HumbleAg04 said:

.WTH are you thinking?

I'm thinking some kind of cheese, peppers, maybe some onion. Just not sure what cheese/pepper combo I want to use.

FJB
SteveBott
AG
Maybe look at a Beef Wellington recipe
SteveBott
AG
First recipe on the Google machine

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-beef-wellington-recipe2-1952280
A.G.S.
AG
Do you have a smoker?

If so, you can brine it and smoke it.

I do that fairly regularly with venison hindquarters, but my coworker did it with a backstrap as well and it turned out amazing.
Post removed:
by user
HumbleAg04
AG
Smoke to internal at 100 and then sear the **** out of it.

Wellington is a good idea also.

Cut into 2" steaks and save for special occasions. Ship to me email username at gmailā€¦

Look up some Elk recipes and follow suit.

As far as my first post yeah joking, I've enjoyed some phenomenal chicken fried backstrap but I'd never do that to Elk or Axis.

tandy miller
AG
If I wanted to sear and cook to 120 id use the steaks I have cut. If I wanted a Wellington I'd make that.

My god, I asked a simple questionā€¦ 15+ replies and not one makes an attempt at answering said question.

I'm genuinely sorry I asked. Won't make that mistake again
FJB
Aggietaco
AG
It's pretty easy to just ignore the comments you don't like and respond to the ones you find useful.

I have this bookmarked, but haven't tried it yet:
https://jesspryles.com/stuffed-venison-backstrap-recipe/

I've done the Meateater mushroom crusted one and that's what led me to the above.
drred4
That's how you TexAgs

"My god, I asked a simple questionā€¦ 15+ replies and not one makes an attempt at answering said question."
AgDad121619
AG
Should have read all replies before responding.

Spike the cream cheese with cilantro and garlic powder and add sauted onions

Warsteiner
boudin
schmellba99
AG
tandy miller said:

If I wanted to sear and cook to 120 id use the steaks I have cut. If I wanted a Wellington I'd make that.

My god, I asked a simple questionā€¦ 15+ replies and not one makes an attempt at answering said question.

I'm genuinely sorry I asked. Won't make that mistake again
Boudin is always an option IMO.

You could also look at something like asiago, which won't overpower the axis because it has a fairly mild flavor. Mix it with garlic and spinach or with japs and I bet it turns out good.

Goat cheese (use less of it though) would also be an option - the sweetness of goat cheese pairs really well with meats IMO, especially smoked, but if you season liberally it would work as well.

Something that sounds really good, though I haven't tried it, would be to saute some mushrooms in a red wine reduction, then stuff after it's cooked.

Lump crab is another option.

Instead of wrapping with bacon, mix the cheese and bacon and stuff before cooking. Cook the bacon first, obviously.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Don't make it too complicated or you mess it up and you don't even taste the flavor of the meat. For me, nothing beats filet mignon grilled over oak. Wrap in hickory smoked thick cut peppered bacon, salt, pepper and garlic to taste and I'm good to go! You could put slices of jalapeƱos between the bacon and meat. Cook till medium rare. Sides are German potatoes and grilled seasoned asparagus. Get your favorite beverage and eat.
Texasyankee
This is one I'm gonna try with venison.

https://howtobbqright.com/2018/05/10/stuffed-venison-backstrap/
WC87
AG
Stuff it with boudain Or use boudin.
CS78
Assume you've mixed diced green onions in your cream cheese?

I recently had some backstrap pastrami that was really good if you want to get adventurous.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Can't believe a simple thread like this can get so derailed.
Thisguy1
Howdy Dammit said:

Can't believe a simple thread like this can get so derailed.

That's what happens when the OP only responds to the people he disagrees with.
Post removed:
by user
raidernarizona
tandy,

since my reading comprehension is obviously better than most on here, I'll answer the question.

Fresh jalapeƱo, diced mushroom, onion. Most recently I added a jalapeno raspberry preserve to the cream cheese inside with fresh japs and onion. This was with a wild hog backstrap that my boy shot. Turned out really nice. I love pinwheels! But I will say, if you don't pre-cook the bacon, by the time it is done the BS is overcooked with venison. Still delicious imo!

tandy miller
AG
Thanks- that looks really good. Maybe I'll just crumble bacon with filling and then truss.

I wonder how oxaca (sp?) cheese would do?
FJB
tandy miller
AG
WC87 said:

Stuff it with boudain Or use boudin.

What is the difference between the two?
FJB
Aggieangler93
AG
LOL at all the butt hurt. This would be like asking me to recite the eyes of Texas. What worthless **** to know!!!!
tandy miller
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

LOL at all the butt hurt. This would be like asking me to recite the eyes of Texas. What worthless **** to know!!!!

What are you talking aboot?
FJB
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.