Outdoors
Sponsored by

Colorado in May?

2,762 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TBass IV
1991sir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tell me if it's worth taking the family in early May?
zachsccr
AG
Early May?
Where in Colorado? What are you hoping to do? Hiking lower elevations it's probably fine. Some ski areas like A-basin may still be open.

I can always find fun in Colorado.
AgLA06
AG
Going to need more information. You're talking about the 8th largest state that varies from 3,300ft to 14,400 in elevation.
ironmanag
AG
yeah alot depends on where.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
AZAG08
AG
Is this to see Turnpike at Red Rocks May 14/15?
Then I'd say worth it
cupofjoe04
AG
It can be muddy. Can be snowy. Can be hot and dry. Can be raining. Can be awesome. Can be a suck-fest.

What are you guys wanting to do? What part of CO are you thinking about? Answering those questions will yield actual recommendations.
MouthBQ98
AG
Lots of stuff at high altitudes will still be snowbound.
txaggie02
AG
We went to Colorado Springs on a family vacation in early June this past year and had a blast. Tons of outdoors activities to do. There's hiking mountain biking, white water rafting, Jeep tour, golf, fishing, etc.
Satellite of Love
States full, try Kansas.

But seriously we need more details. Like others have said depending on where you go you could be in flip flops and shorts. Other areas in ski gear/winter clothers.
Ogre09
AG
There are much better times to go.
RO519
AG
I clicked on this thread for that very reason. Turnpike at Red Rocks is going to be amazing.
1991sir
Looking at the pagosa springs or Leadville area. Want to hike and look for Elk sheds.
AgLA06
AG
Cupofjoe is your man for Pagosa. I don't know the specifics, but there are regulations on shed hunting.
ag0207
AG
We are headed to Colorado Springs in early May. Thoughts?

It was the best timing for us & we have a direct flight into Denver for $138 per ticket.
cupofjoe04
AG
1991sir said:

Looking at the pagosa springs or Leadville area. Want to hike and look for Elk sheds.

If hiking is your primary activity, May is a very difficult time to predict. It will be cold still, without a doubt. So hiking and camping would for sure be difficult. Often times many forest service roads don't open until late May or even June- so access to many areas is restricted until then. Some years the snow melts early and you can hike pretty easily in April.

Generally, in Pagosa, May is "mud season" down low, which means everything is a total mess for 2-3 weeks as the snow melts and everything dries up. It is really the only time of year I hate living here. It can be anywhere from mid-April to mid-June.

Leadville is a few thousand feet higher than Pagosa, so their mud season theoretically should be a week or two later than ours.

You can hunt sheds starting May 1, but it is also turkey season. So there will be hunters out in the woods stating the second week of April. They aren't supposed to pick up sheds in April- but many sheds do get grabbed up as soon as turkey season starts. However, I've found some great sheds hiking in July as well.

Our higher elevation trails will still have snow on them in May, so you will likely be limited to shorter day hikes depending on how dry it is (and road access). Some of the lower areas that hold sheds will thaw in April- but many hillsides will still be harder to access until late May. Leadville will stay frozen a bit longer- meaning if you want to do serious shed hunting, you will need to go a bit later.

So, I guess if you are really wanting to find sheds as your primary focus: You could try to come in May- as they will theoretically be less picked over. But just know, you may be battling limited access, snow, and cold to get to a muddy hell hole. It's not likely to be beautiful hikes with amazing views and green meadows to look for horns in.

If you are REALLY wanting to hike and hunt for sheds, and May is your only option, I would seriously look at Northern New Mexico. I've found some monster elk sheds in NM. Also, I find that elk sheds are much less predictable from year to year than whitetail. It can be a ton of hiking for nothing. I find vastly more sheds while doing other things like turkey hunting, fishing, or gold panning.

If you are wanting to hike or camp as your primary focus, come a little later in the year. Late June is an absolutely spectacular time to be in the Southern San Juans- especially if you bring a fly rod!

If you decide to come to Pagosa, let me know and I would be glad to help in any way I can.
cupofjoe04
AG
ag0207 said:

We are headed to Colorado Springs in early May. Thoughts?

It was the best timing for us & we have a direct flight into Denver for $138 per ticket.

CoSprings will be beautiful in May. They are drier and warmer than we are in the San Juans.

Pick your dates, as when school gets out people flood the outdoors activities.
ag0207
AG
Thanks for the reply. We are planning to head up the first week of May. I hope most kids are still in school at that time.
zachsccr
AG
Good. Colorado Springs is one of the places I'd say full go.
water turkey
When in Colorado Springs, go to Red Leg Brewery's new location, near Garden of the Gods and looking directly at Pikes Peak. My daughter, Sarah, slings beer there. Great beers, great outdoor decks and Veteran owned.
bkag9824
AG
I'll make folks a great deal on our condo in Crested Butte in the months of April or May. It's essentially dead in town, snow melt, etc. but could be a nice quiet get away if you're looking for something low-key.
1991sir
You have my attention
bkag9824
AG
1991sir said:

You have my attention
If you're responding to me, send an email to my username at hotmail.com

And for anybody interested, I'll rent my condo for $80/night any night 4/1 - 5/25, plus $110 cleaning fee. My cleaning fee is a straight pass through cost, no mark up. Yes, the cleaning fee is stupid, but the locals have to make money somehow...

It's a 1 bedroom (king), separate living space that has a full-sized pullout couch, kitchenette (1 burner hot plate), dishwasher, microwave, mini-fridge/freezer. The lodge has a nice indoor/outdoor swimming pool and hot tub.

Edit - Nightly rate for 5/26 - 6/6 is $175/night (plus $110 cleaning fee) for the fine folks of TexAgs. Memorial Day weekend is unofficially the start of the busy summer season, and I anticipate I'll be able to get $200-225/night if I book guests through AirBnB. So, decent savings for anybody looking for a nice getaway over Memorial Day.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Check shed regs first. Leadville may still have snow. Just depends on how bad winter is. I live in Meeker and we will be just about done with snow in late May. We love to ride our Rangers on the trails, hike and fish.
cohibasymas
AG
Colorado is gorgeous in every season. We're wintering in Ouray this year. Absolutely remarkable.

Just tell your wife to pack every article of clothing she owns for all four seasons.
AgLA06
AG
cohibasymas said:

Colorado is gorgeous in every season. We're wintering in Ouray this year. Absolutely remarkable.

Just tell your wife to pack every article of clothing she owns for all four seasons.

Dude, we love Ouray, but winter there scares me. Don't they get like 13 feet of snow Dec-Mar? Are you in a RV or did you lease a place?

You've got to send photos of that box canyon this time of year.
cohibasymas
AG
We're in our motorhome. Had a professional vinyl RV skirt sewn and installed. Hooked up to 120 gal propane. Loving every minute of it. This weather is bananas. During the day it'll be 30something and sunny, and we open the whole RV up. Trust me, as a native Texan that would've sounded absurd to me too just a few months ago, but it's bananas. My new favorite season here and there's almost no tourists compared to spring summer.
AgLA06
AG
Are you in 4J, Riverside, KOA or the state campground?

Last time we did a week in 4J and loved it.
cohibasymas
AG
We're in a park about 5 min north of town on the way to Ridgway. Happy to tell you via email Kristofer ww at gmail dot com
mpl35
AG
Ouray averages 11.5 feet a year. I love that town!
cupofjoe04
AG
Ouray is one of my favorite places. It's awesome. I've got a decent little spot up a creek to pan for gold out there. It's super fun.

The Million Dollar Highway is one of the prettiest drives in the country, especially descending Red Mountain Pass and overlooking Ouray.

But not in the winter, ha ha!!!!
jmm
We own a home north of pagosa off Piedra Road. Skiing a couple weeks in March. We will be back June 1 thru mid October. Back for thanksgiving and then Christmas/new year. Our favorite area of Colorado. We try to be somewhere else during April and May during mid season.
cupofjoe04
AG
jmm said:

We own a home north of pagosa off Piedra Road. Skiing a couple weeks in March. We will be back June 1 thru mid October. Back for thanksgiving and then Christmas/new year. Our favorite area of Colorado. We try to be somewhere else during April and May during mid season.
Shoot me an email if you ever want to grab a coffee while you are in town (username at g m a i l). We are in Pagosa full time. I would gladly go back to TX from April to May if I could. Turkey hunting is really the only thing that passes the time during mud season. The other 300+ days of the year, this place is outstanding.
jmm
Meant mud season. Sure, I will email you when we get to town.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Not in the mountains. It'll be melting snow and brown landscape, and cold. Likelyhood of it snowing is high too. Pretty, but River levels will be high and summer a month away at least

With that said, you can find fun that time of year! I recommend researching good places to visit in Colorado in may. From there figure out what you'd like to do.
WestTexasAg
AG
I'm jealous of you guys that get to spend that much time at Pagosa Springs! Love that place. We go pretty much every summer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.