Outdoors
Sponsored by

No lions, but lots of bobcats.

3,158 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm mostly known for posting pictures, either of cats in trees or on game cameras, that are actual lions. My best:

The snow has sucked. We got a little bit of new snow Friday night. No lion tracks on the 7000 acres I usually hunt. 5 sets of different bobcat tracks.

Bobcats are a pain in the ass. They hide. Go to ground. Refuse to stay in a tree. Really hard for the dogs. I really didn't want to run one, but the dogs needed out. We went up the creek. They hit a track. GPS was telling me they were treed inside of 2 minutes. Not likely. They lost it and were hunting most likely. But ran there just the same.

https://i.imgur.com/QsNeg0y.mp4

Sure enough did. I know videos don't show as well here, but there are a couple.

I went to call my son to help, and the cat jumped. Dogs went after it. I figured they'd either catch it or not by the time I was back. They did.

https://i.imgur.com/kKaIYKO.mp4

They kept it in the second tree while I left, called my son, and waited for him to get there. I never thought I'd be into hounds, but In reality, I'm into dogs. All of them. Seeing my relatively young dogs click and get it all right is pretty cool. That said, they will F&@$ it up tomorrow. They are hounds.
giddings_ag_06
AG
You post the best stuff I swear all while looking like the legend Al Borland. Love these posts. I'd love to come chase cats and show what 210 of fat, slow, out of shape Texan looks like on a snowy mountain.
BradMtn346
Well, you are 10 pounds lighter than me right now. When it comes to chasing cats, it is really all about how bad you want to punish yourself.
BradMtn346
giddings_ag_06 said:

You post the best stuff I swear all while looking like the legend Al Borland. Love these posts. I'd love to come chase cats and show what 210 of fat, slow, out of shape Texan looks like on a snowy mountain.

This time my dogs had it treed in a few minutes on our place. Last time they were a mile and a half into the neighbors, where I have permission to retrieve my dogs, but not hunt.

A mile and a half by GPS sucks ass in knee deep snow.
mhnatt
Speaking of fat, snow and cats, this fella has been hanging around our house the past few nights:

BradMtn346
mhnatt said:

Speaking of fat, snow and cats, this fella has been hanging around our house the past few nights:

1. Cool footage!
2. Are you cool with him/her/them, looked like different cats to me, hanging out?
3. If no on 2, where are you located?
mhnatt
I couldn't tell they are different. Good catch. We just have to be careful with our little pork chop children playing outside (the one video is the cat walking inside their sled run).

We are located a few miles outside the east gate of Yellowstone in the Absarokas.
Wodanaz
AG
Our multiple requests to go run a cat with Brad will be wholly ignored, but the second someone posts a cat he might be able to run, he's all over it.

Let's book a Utah cat hunt & pay for new friends.
WestTexasAg
AG
BradMtn346 said:

I'm mostly known for posting pictures, either of cats in trees or on game cameras, that are actual lions. My best:

The snow has sucked. We got a little bit of new snow Friday night. No lion tracks on the 7000 acres I usually hunt. 5 sets of different bobcat tracks.

Bobcats are a pain in the ass. They hide. Go to ground. Refuse to stay in a tree. Really hard for the dogs. I really didn't want to run one, but the dogs needed out. We went up the creek. They hit a track. GPS was telling me they were treed inside of 2 minutes. Not likely. They lost it and were hunting most likely. But ran there just the same.

https://i.imgur.com/QsNeg0y.mp4

Sure enough did. I know videos don't show as well here, but there are a couple.

I went to call my son to help, and the cat jumped. Dogs went after it. I figured they'd either catch it or not by the time I was back. They did.

They kept it in the second tree while I left, called my son, and waited for him to get there. I never thought I'd be into hounds, but In reality, I'm into dogs. All of them. Seeing my relatively young dogs click and get it all right is pretty cool. That said, they will F&@$ it up tomorrow. They are hounds.
That's awesome! Where is that?
giddings_ag_06
AG
Wodanaz said:

Our multiple requests to go run a cat with Brad will be wholly ignored, but the second someone posts a cat he might be able to run, he's all over it.

Deal
fulshearAg96
AG
very cool!
cledus6150
AG
I just started reading "Trained by a Hound Dog" about a hound hunter, it might be worth a read for ya. So far I am really enjoying it!
Ag 11
AG
Good lookin bobcats
gibberish
AG
Unrelated, but this got me wondering whatever happened to the veterinarian that popped a domestic cat... correction sorry feral tiger?
Shoefly!
AG
She's now headlining at the local boobie bar.
BradMtn346
The problem here lately is good snow. I'm having a heck of a time getting my son on a mature cat. One of the full time outfitters is waiving clients off it has been so tough. I haven't cut a lion track since early December. Even in the best conditions, bobcats are hit and miss.
BradMtn346
I'm in western Colorado. Near the town of Crawford.
BradMtn346
giddings_ag_06 said:

Wodanaz said:

Deal

Wait, paying for friends?! I never got a check.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BradMtn346 said:

I'm in western Colorado. Near the town of Crawford.
Dont tell them anymore… They need to get in line behind me!!!

Related note - I don't think I'm making it up there to stay at the crib for Turkey season but you'll have a few of my buddies up there second weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.