Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rifle pricing

3,294 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agsalaska
Justified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would like help pricing a rifle to possibly sell. Remington 700 classic 257 Robert's with a leupold 3.5x10 scope. Also have 160 rounds of ammo.
80- hornady super performance 117gr SST
60- Nosler trophy grade 110gr accubond
20- HSM 115gr Berger HPST

AgEng98
If you're willing to separate, I'm interested in the rifle.
FIDO 96
AG
Have you run the serial number to see if the trigger/safety is part of the recall?
Justified
No I haven't.
FIDO 96
AG
I would before I sold a REM 700

https://xmprecall.remington.com/
cledus6150
AG
I will tell you that is an extremely rare and hard to find rifle, only limited quantities of the 257roberts where made in long action. The rifle alone is worth well over $1,000 to the right buyer.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Those things are a dime a dozen. I'll give you $300 for the whole package just because I think you're a nice guy.
agsalaska
AG
The gun was produced in 1982 and as far as I know is not a part of the recall.

I have two. One in .300 H&H(1983) and another in .300 Savage(2003). They are both really nice rifles.

I like the .257 Roberts a lot as well.

Cledus6150 is right. If I was listing all of that I would put it in the $1500 to $2000 range.

I bought a box of that Nosler for my Ruger No 1 last year and it was $69.99. The Hornady stuff doesn't stabilize in mine.

That's a sweet, sweet gun. I would love to tell you I will buy it for $1,000 but..... I doubt you get all the way to 2k, but on texashuntingforum.com or even here $1500 is fair.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Newoldarmy
zooguy96
About Three Fiddy. .
Justified
I'll let you make $300 payments. Because I'm a nice guy
Justified
Thanks for the response. The nosler shoots the best, but $70 a box gets a little expensive
canadianAg
AG
I'd take some, maybe all of the ammo off your hands if you decide to sell/willing to separate.
dolch
AG
That's a sweet rifle and the scope doesn't suck
You should keep it, but you'll get too dollar if you sell now
Gunny456
AG
Current Blue Book list it in 98% condition at $650 and 95% at $595. It says add 25% for .257 Roberts.

Nice rifle and great caliber too.
agsalaska
AG
Gunny456 said:

Current Blue Book list it in 98% condition at $650 and 95% at $595. It says add 25% for .257 Roberts.

Nice rifle and great caliber too.

With all due respect, that is grossly underpriced as the blue book has a tendency to do. All 700 classics minus a couple are worth more.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
AG
A FAR more applicable pricing gauge. Though you wont get quite as much as they do on Gunbroker

All 700 Classics sold on Gunbroker.

This specific one sold for $1750.
Justified
Thanks. I took it out this afternoon for a test drive. Three shots at 125 yards trigger is heavy but preformed decent. Only support was a backpack.
agsalaska
AG
You realize for some of us that rifle is like moonshine to an alcoholic.

Gunny456
AG
Blue Book derives it's values from current estate or private firearm auction houses prices paid and reported sales. It and the Standard Catalog Of Firearms are used by dealers and collectors and is considered as retail values.
If you deal and trade firearms daily you will realize that Gunbroker and many instances, Guns International have unrealistic pricing that show sold but are not verified buyers.
Many so called " sold" guns on Gunbroker will show up again two or three months later that were not really sold but bids won by sellers to inflate the prices.
Not trying at all to be argumentative but the blue book and SCOF are as right as they are wrong.
The other issue I have experienced is the over exaggerated condition of firearms on the auction sites. Often stated as never fired or like new are oftentimes truly 80% or "good" condition.... also adding to inflated pricing.
As a good Winchester collector friend of mine once said. Price of a gun is dependent on how bad somebody wants it. .
Justified
I don't mind a lil sip of shine every now and again.
agsalaska
AG
Gunny456 said:

Blue Book derives it's values from current estate or private firearm auction houses prices paid and reported sales. It and the Standard Catalog Of Firearms are used by dealers and collectors and is considered as retail values.
If you deal and trade firearms daily you will realize that Gunbroker and many instances, Guns International have unrealistic pricing that show sold but are not verified buyers.
Many so called " sold" guns on Gunbroker will show up again two or three months later that were not really sold but bids won by sellers to inflate the prices.
Not trying at all to be argumentative but the blue book and SCOF are as right as they are wrong.
The other issue I have experienced is the over exaggerated condition of firearms on the auction sites. Often stated as never fired or like new are oftentimes truly 80% or "good" condition.... also adding to inflated pricing.
As a good Winchester collector friend of mine once said. Price of a gun is dependent on how bad somebody wants it. .

Gunny my man, while all that is true about a small % of gunbroker sales......

I am going to guess that my name has been attached to 50,000 FFL gun transactions since 2000. Probably more. I have not referred to a blue book value since 2006 when we bought stores in Alaska and threw their books in the trash. And I retired from the industry in 2016.

If he followed the blue book and put that gun on any trading website for blue book value he would have a line at his door and down the street. It is worth double, easy, what that book says.

The only place Blue Book is still remotely applicable is on very hard to find, rare, and very old guns. And even then I would only consider it and not rely on it.

The blue book is completely irrelevant post WW2.
mtngoat3006
If you are still thinking about selling it, I'm definitely interested. Been wanting a .257 Roberts for quite some time but haven't pulled the trigger yet... pardon the pun
Gunny456
AG
I guess we will just agree to disagree. I attend many gun shows including the bi annual Weinamacher show. Every single person with a table is going to have a well used Blue Book or SCOF or both at their table. They will use that book to buy or sell.
Also appraisers utilize it as the reference unless the firearm in question has historical documented provenance.
Insurance companies will use it for replacement values as well.
There are many values in Blue Book that are inflated and some under market..., but on average it is a good guide.
So if it was a 100% rifle Blue Book says it's worth $975.00 and Standard Catalog says 1125.00..,NIB.
So you being a dealer as you said you would have offered him more than those references if he would have walked in your store? Be honest now....

ETA. I'm talking strictly rifle only. Not including scope, rings, or mounts.
agsalaska
AG
Gunny456 said:

I guess we will just agree to disagree. I attend many gun shows including the bi annual Weinamacher show. Every single person with a table is going to have a well used Blue Book or SCOF or both at their table. They will use that book to buy or sell.
Also appraisers utilize it as the reference unless the firearm in question has historical documented provenance.
Insurance companies will use it for replacement values as well.
There are many values in Blue Book that are inflated and some under market..., but on average it is a good guide.
So if it was a 100% rifle Blue Book says it's worth $975.00 and Standard Catalog says 1125.00..,NIB.
So you being a dealer as you said you would have offered him more than those references if he would have walked in your store? Be honest now....

ETA. I'm talking strictly rifle only. Not including scope, rings, or mounts.
This thread is not about what I would have offered someone. It's what I would sell it for. That's what he asked.
Justified
Gentlemen…with or without pronouns! Thank you everyone for the help with pricing this particular firearm. As we all know something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just so happens I'm holding the golden egg. But seriously, let's not argue. I'm going to make a decision about selling soon. Thanks again
agsalaska
AG
I will give you more than Gunny will.
Gunny456
Gunny456
AG
Alaska and I aren't arguing. We are negotiating.
He is probably right more than I am. If it was built after 1900 it is to new for me.
agsalaska
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.