Outdoors
Sponsored by

Where to buy a lakefront lot?

10,684 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TopFlightReject
ontherocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So wife and I have been wanting to buy a lake front lot. I will be fully retired in 12 years at 50 years old. With prices being as crazy as they are I'd like to find a lot on a nice lake before everything gets out of control. I don't want to leave Texas. Any advice on where to look and potential pitfalls to buying a lot this early? Original dreams were to have a bay front home but the maintenance of such a property scares me. I love to fish so naturally I will need a dock to run some trot lines from and park the boat.
Bpriefert
"I hope to retire early" and "I want a lake or bay front home but prices are crazy" doesn't seem congruent.
Apache
AG
Just had to slip that retirement bit in there, huh?

1. 50 is too early to fully retire. Rethink this.
2. Predicting your retirement 12 years out is crazy. A lot can happen.
3. What major city do you want to be close to?
4. Prices are already crazy. What is your budget? We'll happily double it for you.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Somerville should do.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Lake Buchanan
Mas89
AG
Lol poor. Buy some land and build your own lake/house. Bad enough that you have a job to worry about.
Mr. Dubi
On the rocks: My plan was to retire at 50. Played the ant, while everyone I knew was playing grasshopper. Then Obama came along. Still working at 56…

Perhaps Biden is your Obama…
giddings_ag_06
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

On the rocks: My plan was to retire at 50. Played the ant, while everyone I knew was playing grasshopper. Then Obama came along. Still working at 56…

Perhaps Biden is your Obama…

Well that's optimistic!!
ontherocks
AG
Why is this bad? What am I missing?
Only way this doesn't happen is if I get fired, hoping that doesn't occur. My career field doesn't allow us to work much past 50.
I can care less, as long as there is an heb 45 minutes away I can survive.
4. Prices are already crazy. What is your budget? We'll happily double it for you.
200k'ish
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
ontherocks said:

Why is this bad? What am I missing?
Only way this doesn't happen is if I get fired, hoping that doesn't occur. My career field doesn't allow us to work much past 50.
I can care less, as long as there is an heb 45 minutes away I can survive.
200k'ish

People who are smart and active lose their minds retiring at 50 usually. And if doesn't, their spouse usually gets tired of them being home so much and forces them out of the house to go do something constructive.

I am sure you'll have some hobby or job to keep you busy but that's where the sentiment of retiring too early is coming from.

You should have this place within a couple of hours at most of where you live otherwise it's a pain in the ass to keep and maintain. Considering HEB is a priority for you, I'm sure you live between i10, i45 and i35, so we'll guess around there.
TikkaShooter
Quote:

200k'ish

Yeah. That ain't buying water front.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
But OP here you go.

Lake Athens is the best lake you've never heard of.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/1-acre-in-Henderson-County-Texas/1945774/
ontherocks
AG
Good to know, no idea what going rate is for lake front. I'm not looking for lake Travis lake front or anything crazy. Just ideas of places for us to start looking at that aren't desirable today but may be more developed in 12+ years. Could be riverfront as well.
MikesFamousJava
AG
My Mom is a mostly retired realtor that lives on Richland-Chambers reservoir just east of Corsicana. Its a nice lake…3rd largest in Texas, great white bass fishing and recreation. Not a Corps lake, but is source of TRWD drinking water supply. You definitely want to work with a realtor that is local/specializes in properties on that lake. If you'd like contact info for my Mom, let me know. Or she can steer you to someone else if you'd like.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

200k'ish

Richland chambers, cedar creek, and limestone all have 1-2 acre waterfront lots for less than $200k for sale right now.
ontherocks
AG
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for as a starting point.
ontherocks
TXAGFAN
AG
ontherocks said:

So wife and I have been wanting to buy a lake front lot. I will be fully retired in 12 years at 50 years old. With prices being as crazy as they are I'd like to find a lot on a nice lake before everything gets out of control. I don't want to leave Texas. Any advice on where to look and potential pitfalls to buying a lot this early? Original dreams were to have a bay front home but the maintenance of such a property scares me. I love to fish so naturally I will need a dock to run some trot lines from and park the boat.
What part of Texas are you in or want to retire in?

Unfortunately pre-covid could have made this purchase at 50%-60% of current pricing (at least on my lake).
TXAGFAN
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

200k'ish

Richland chambers, cedar creek, and limestone all have 1-2 acre waterfront lots for less than $200k for sale right now.
Dont think you're in the ballpark at all for at least one of those lakes. If you're even close would be on bad side of lake…shallow and lucky to get a boat out of slip or go anywhere.
ontherocks
AG
Would prefer to be close to south Texas or to college station but it really doesn't matter. Currently live in laredo. All I know is that I want to retire on the water.
BKS_Aggie08
AG
HEB priority knocks out all of East Texas just about. But if you could make do with Brookshire's and Walmart, I'd look at the new lakes going in around Bonham. Don't know if they are selling waterfront properties, however.
BCStalk
Good lots on limestone are going to be between 200-500k. Neighborhoods in the area are developing quickly with few waterfront left. Also requires enough land for septic but you can get close to the water for 200k.
aggieland09
AG
Lake bob sandlin or lake LBJ would be my top two
TXAG 05
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

200k'ish

But he wants to be all in for 200k. A lot is only half way there.
ontherocks
AG
No, I meant 200k for just the lot.
Shoefly!
AG
Plenty in East Texas, nice & quiet behind the Pine Curtain. Plus plenty of fishing and watersports.
Jason C.
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

But OP here you go.

Lake Athens is the best lake you've never heard of.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/property/1-acre-in-Henderson-County-Texas/1945774/

Henderson County is meth central. If it's anything like Cedar Creek I wouldn't move there. I would honestly call the county sheriff for any county with a lake you plan to relocate to. "Lake trash" is a thing just about everywhere except Travis, and even there, while the trash can't afford to live there, the trash come TO the lake. One sheriff said (about Cedar Creek): (1) if you don't plan to live at your lake house full time, the thieves will steal everything in your house and maybe your house if it's on wheels; (2) live there full time and they'll just steal from the outer envelope of the property/house.

Sincerely,
I love/hate Texas lakes
MikesFamousJava
AG
You can get onto RC for under $200K. Waterfront, >1 acre.
danieljustin06
AG
BKS_Aggie08 said:

HEB priority knocks out all of East Texas just about. But if you could make do with Brookshire's and Walmart, I'd look at the new lakes going in around Bonham. Don't know if they are selling waterfront properties, however.

The land around Bois d'Arc and Ralph Hall was bought up 20+ years ago by the Chinese. Was told that by the NTMWD agent when I worked on the design project. He has a farm that will be with a mile or two of Ralph Hall once filled
akaggie05
AG
Richland Chambers
C1NRB
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

200k'ish

False.
We bought on Lake Granbury last year for about that price. And Granbury has an HEB.
To be clear: Lakefront, not riverfront (Pecan Plantation or "North of Granbury on the Brazos.")
Is it acreage? By no means. But it's a lot, in a neighborhood, on the lake. Also, Granbury is "constant level" now, so we got that going for us.
For OP: If your really thinking long-term and don't care about location (exclusive of HEB), check out the future Lake Bois D'Arc north of Paris, TX.
It's not a lake yet, but it's the next lake to be built in Texas. And they may have an HEB by then.

Edit: Posted this before I read the posts directly above.
montanagriz
S
Lake Limestone- start there
SunrayAg
AG
Stay away from limestone!

Damn city people looking for lake lots are destroying the area.
Jbob04
AG
I never thought I would see Limestone blow up the way it has with people buying and building. It's unreal right now.
TopFlightReject
Throw my hat in for Lake Livingston. My parents have a place up there. Well, used to have a place up there. Damn tornado that came through in 2020 wiped everything out so now they just have the two lots.

Anyways. Livingston has great fishing and great spots just for daily hanging out plus it's close to Huntsville and close-ish to CS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.