Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need Help Planning Alaska Fishing Trip

876 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OilManAg91
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad is an Aggie and a big fisherman. He is in his late 70's and for his birthday I would like to take him to Alaska for a fishing trip this summer which neither of us have done before. I'm thinking a 4 or 5 day trip total with 2-3 days fishing for salmon and halibut. It's been 20 years since I was last in Alaska when I drove to Seward and Cooper's Landing so I am a little bit familiar with the Kenai, but I didn't fish.

I am looking for advice on fishing guides / charters as well as recommendations on where to stay. Since he is getting older, I would like a combination of good quality fishing, convenience and comfortable lodging so he has a great time. I would consider an all inclusive fishing lodge, perhaps fly in, if it's not over the top expensive or I am also open to renting a house in Homer (or wherever) and taking guided fishing day trips. We will have 4 or 5 people on the trip to accommodate for both fishing and lodging. My dad is a good fisherman, but he has never fly fished so while I would like to fit in a fly fishing rafting trip for trout I will probably put this off for another time. What is the best time to be there to overlap the different salmon runs and to catch good halibut?

I appreciate any suggestions and thanks for helping me plan a great trip for him.
B-1 83
AG
Following
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
agsalaska
AG
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
AG
J&Js Smart Charters. I have used them countless times. It is also a beautiful place to stay. I would start there. You will leave there very jealous of those that get to stay.

link
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
schwack schwack
AG
Never been and don't know the rates, but a friend owns this place & I would expect it to be pretty fantastic.

https://www.angryeagle.com/
chris1515
AG
Several years ago I went on a family trip and we fished for salmon and trout near Coopers Landing and used this guide, and we had a great time.

https://www.fishandsons.net/#

We rented a large house on VRBO right there in Coopers Landing. It was really nice.

It was in late July and the Salmon were running up the Kenai River, just downstream of where the Russian River merges in. The salmon fishing was very crowded on the banks, but it was fun and very "easy" fishing. We all caught our limit. And then we got in the boat and floated downstream to a more empty part of the river that was a lot wider and I assume tougher for salmon fishing. We caught some trout and grayling(?), but the scenery was more memorable than the fishing at that point for me.

The guide dropped our salmon off at a place in town and they dressed and vacuum sealed everything and had it packed in dry ice for us to check in on the flight home.
beb06
AG
I go with a group every year to fish with Wild Strawberry Lodge out of Sitka. We typically go in late august which is prime silver/coho season. Bring home about 80-120 pounds of salmon/halibut/rockfish after 4 days of fishing. The lodge is right next to the docks, the food is great, and they have 6-7 boats so they can handle a large number of guests at once. It's a well oiled machine of an operation. Highly recommend.
RM76
AG
I have used and was pleased with Profish-n-sea Charters out of Seward. They fish for both halibut and salmon. There is a motel right by the docks, very convenient, and also a few rentals in town nearby. Not sure but think the peak times of the year are different for salmon and halibut, but think there is enough of overlap whereby one can fish for both on the same trip.
OilManAg91
AG
Appreciate the recommendations! Will definitely check out Wild Strawberry in Sitka, sounds like a great all inclusive setup. I didn't think about Seward, but that would be a great place to base out of if some good fishing charters go out of there...I will look up Profish-n-sea. Keep the great ideas coming...Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.