Outdoors
Sponsored by

ISO Hunting Lease: 2022-2023 (and beyond)

1,379 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tmvincent97
keebler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDR; In search of 2022-2023 Family Friendly Annual Hunting Lease for father/son within 3.5 hrs of Sugar Land

Looking to the outdoors Ag family for help. My 10 year old son approached me in early 2021 saying he really wanted to learn to hunt. I did not grow up in a hunting family, and didn't have the resources or experience to teach him or land to hunt on. I discovered Texas Youth Hunting Program and we pursued it. I was impressed with his dedication and desire to pass hunter ed, and get his license. TYHP is awesome, I could write another whole post on this organization, great stuff. We managed to go on 2 hunts this season through them, and I was blown away with the program and the experiences hunting brought to my son and I. Hunting provided so many life lessons over a single weekend, that can't be taught to our children, but are invaluable when they experience them. Needless to say we were hooked from day one, and I'm now trying to exploring the possibility of joining a hunting lease.

I'm interested in finding a family friendly hunting lease, hopefully with other young hunters around my son's age. We are willing to help around the property and abide by all landowner rules and willing to listen and learn from more experienced hunters. I would love the opportunity to talk with you if you need another Father/Son to complete your lease, or if you know any landowners looking for lessees as well. Thank you for your time.

Prefer the lease to be less than 3.5 hours from Sugar Land, TX. Preferably to the SW towards area between Corpus and San Antonio. But open to other areas that are within 3.5 hrs of Sugar Land. I'd like to keep cost under $3k/year if possible, depending on what's included within the lease.

This process is all new to me, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Counties of interest:
Between San Antonio and Corpus Christi: Atascosa, McMullen, Live Oak, Bee, Kames, Goliad, Wilson, Gonzales, Dewitt, Victoria, Jackson, Lavaca, Fayette, Refugio,

North of Huntsville: Leon, Houston, Anderson, Limestone, Navarro, Falls, McLennan, Milam, Robertson, Trinity, Cherokee

Thanks,
keebler96 at gmail dot com
Post removed:
by user
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Go on guided hunts for various animals (deer, duck, geese, dove, quail), then decide on your direction.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
tmvincent97
AG
I agree with Funky's post. Go on some guided hunts first to find what he is really interested in. Starting new on a lease without much prior experience may be more frustrating than what it's worth. Expect to be paying probably $3k+ a year for an average lease. Thats without figuring in needing a four wheeler, feeders/corn (if you are into that) and gas. Lets say $5k total for the year. You could go on some weekend hunts with outfitters for about $1k or less for birds. "meat hunts" are a great option too. Most outfitters offer them, and you will be paying about $250-$500 per doe plus lodging, figure $1,000-$1,500 for the weekend if it's just a meat hunt with lodging and meals. They typically offer pigs for free also if you are interested in my experience. Some may disagree with the price for a lease i mentioned, but in my opinion thats pretty average for where you are looking. If anything its a little low. more often than not its $3k per hunter, not per family. but some leases let kids hunt for free off of the parent's deer harvest alottment

Your kid's ability to draw youth hunts is awesome and I'd keep spending the $5-$10 per draw ticket to enter. Usually open up around june or july i believe on TPWD website

Public land is another awesome option if you don't mind putting in the work to scout. $40 for an annual pass and you can hunt most WMA's (wildlife management area) in texas. They are typically located on Corps of engineer land near reservoirs. Alot of them are archery only, so he would need a bow or crossbow. Some allow guns.

Feel free to email me at my username @gmail.com I've been hunting for the last 20years on leases and public
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.