Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mini Split AC Install

4,635 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bkag9824
DuncanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 170 sq foot room off the back of my garage that I am converting to a man cave. Looking at putting in a mini split. I saw on this forum that some folks purchased through ecomfort.com. What do you think someone would charge me in labor to install one? The condenser to unit run would be short because its just outside the wall of where we would install.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
DuncanAg said:

I have a 170 sq foot room off the back of my garage that I am converting to a man cave. Looking at putting in a mini split. I saw on this forum that some folks purchased through ecomfort.com. What do you think someone would charge me in labor to install one? The condenser to unit run would be short because its just outside the wall of where we would install.

In DFW at least it was hard to find somebody to install a mini split without buying the mini split from them. I bought my senville mini split online and got a good deal on it at the time and then started calling around. I was getting quotes for $1,200 to $3,000 dollars just for installation and when I objected to the price for what should be a 4-6 hour project, I usually was met with, "We'll I'm not taking my crew to work on your project when I could have them doing something else more profitable." That was 9 months ago.

I finally talked to my handyman I use for stuff around the house and he knew somebody and they did it for $700 or so.

They are able to be installed by yourself with just a couple of tools if you are handy.

I would maybe price going through a local provider and see what it'll be unless you have somebody who can help you install it.
AggieMPH2005
Mini split install is about $1200 these days
Moses25
AG
I bought a Mr. Cool DIY 3 years ago for my shop. Easy install and has been great so far.
DuncanLEO
AgStuckinLBK said:

DuncanAg said:

I usually was met with, "We'll I'm not taking my crew to work on your project when I could have them doing something else more profitable." That was 9 months ago.

Dip****s that don't know how to run a business are everywhere. Did you tell them you'll now be pleased to let everyone know not to use their business instead of gaining another happy customer.
AgEng98
Why not DIY? It's about as straightforward as HVAC gets.
DuncanAg
AG
Thanks for all the replies guys…for the cost I might try the DIY.
sanitariex
AG
As someone who hasn't looked into it, what's the difficult part, a dedicated circuit? Or running the coolant lines through the wall?
AgLA06
AG
I think the issue is most require licensed install to bleed the lines or it voids the warranty.

That's why Mr. Cool seems like a good option as it's designed for DIY and provides what you need for install.
sanitariex
AG
Ohhhh I thought they were all pre-charged. I plan to put one in my garage and just started to read up on them. I managed to insulate all exterior walls prior to Sheetrock so just need to insulate above the ceiling to have a nice temp controlled space.
longeryak
AgEng98 said:

Why not DIY? It's about as straightforward as HVAC gets.
This.

I did a Pioneer. Plenty of youtube how to videos to see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself. If not look for a guy in HVAC truck and offer him $400-500 cash to come install it on a day off. The smaller the town you're in the easier 'I know I guy' gets.

https://www.pioneerminisplit.com

Install accessories- https://www.pioneerminisplit.com/collections/accesories

Pioneer's tutorial videos- https://www.pdhvac.com/support/instructional-videos/
junior200414
AG
MrCool 12k DIY from Costco $1300. Took me just over half a day. I had most of the stuff prepped already. Starting from scratch, I can't see it taking more than a day. Hardest part was bending the lines to make it a nice, clean install.
DargelSkout
AG
junior200414 said:

MrCool 12k DIY from Costco $1300. Took me just over half a day. I had most of the stuff prepped already. Starting from scratch, I can't see it taking more than a day. Hardest part was bending the lines to make it a nice, clean install.

I'm about to install one of these as well. I'm thinking it will take 3-4 hours. I hope I'm right.
BrazosDog02
AG
DargelSkout said:

junior200414 said:

I'm about to install one of these as well. I'm thinking it will take 3-4 hours. I hope I'm right.

If I had a dollar for every time I used the last two sentences in life, I'd be richer than bill gates.
DargelSkout
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

DargelSkout said:

junior200414 said:

If I had a dollar for every time I used the last two sentences in life, I'd be richer than bill gates.

Haha, me too. None of my projects ever go the way I plan them.
TX_COWDOC
AG
For the room size you're looking at, a traditional wall / window unit will suffice. For my office / cave, I did an LG mini split from eComfort. Multiple zones. I did all the work except vacuuming the lines. I called a local AC /appliance company and the fella was in disbelief that I did all the work myself. He flippantly quoted me 2500 to connect the lines. I laughed at him and send him on his way. Called another outfit out and they did it for a few hundred. I registered the warranty with them and all is good.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
DuncanAg
AG
I thought about a window or wall unit but my experience has been they are really loud. Has those units improved?
junior200414
AG
Do you also want heating ability from the unit? Or you plan on running space heaters? I know wall units are cheaper, but heating and cooling in one unit is why I went with mini split vs window/wall unit ac.
DuncanAg
AG
Both AC and Heat
skelso
AG
No idea what labor would run to have one installed that you purchase online but as others have said, they are not that difficult.

In the new shop I building out, I installed a Carrier mini split with a 3 ton condenser (2) 18k BTU High Walls and (2) 9k BTU high walls. Total install took a weekend. Could have been done in a day but I chose to cut lines to length which required re-flare, and I chased a leak for 2 hours when pulling down the first line set - finally found the adapter I was using to make my guages fit was the culprit..
swampstander
AG
I put a 9000 btu Mitsubishi mini split in my 300 sq ft workshop a few years ago. I did the complete install and called my usual HVAC guy to come pull a vacuum and check my work. He charged me a 100 bucks.
jtp01
AG
I'm having a big mini split out in my shop. Using the same company that is doing the systems in our home build. They are installing for $350 in labor because they'll already be there for the home systems.

Lesson learned, I figured he would hammer me on the price of the mini split, however, by the time you factor in the wire, and longer lines needed I'm only paying about $200 more that what I would have paid online.

So for an extra $550 it's installed by a technician and will carry their 3 yr no questions asked warranty.

Gigemags05
AG
I installed an 18k Pioneer unit in my shop. It was very straight forward. I bought a vacuum pump from harbor freight and a set of gauges off of amazon. They do come pre-charged so if you don't modify the line set its not difficult.

the unit I got does a great job cooling the shop, but does not do much as far as heat goes. I had to build me a wood burning stove to get adequate heat when its really cold.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Where are you located? Sounds like folks on here may have some recommendations. I have a few of these and the installation is very easy but does require you to pull a vacuum. Also, I recommend Daikin or Mitsubishi units.
DuncanAg
AG
I am located in West Houston
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I used this one in a smaller space.

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsubishi-MZ-HM09NA/p81583.html

HvilleAggie
AG
@DuncanAg, for a second I wondered if you were my buddy I discuss Ed this very issue with last night, he's looking for an HVAC company to install a mini split system he bought recently.

Let me know if you find anyone in the Houston area, he lives up in cypress. Thanks!
Harman Rabb Jr.
Any update on finding someone to install the unit. I'm in West Houston and need an identical system.
SquanchyAg
DuncanAg said:

this is the OB so....cut a hole and put in a window unit. it's 170 sq ft. I have to think it's going to take a while to recover the cost of the mini-split in monthly energy savings. I realize mini-splits are the cool hipster thing to do, but if you can't install it yourself, the savings have got to be virtually non-existent.
CS78
I've never installed one but I've used a bunch of them and never been impressed when you consider cost.

When I did my hunting camp, I went with a 220 baseboard oil filled wall heater like you see up north. It's silent, safe, and uses very little energy.

For AC, I still like cheap window units and a ceiling fan. They aren't as loud as they used to be. And best of all, when you have trouble, $150 and a trip to Lowe's and you're up and running with a new one.
BlitzGD
AG
Is it a detached garage?

If not it will be easier and cheaper to simply put in a T-Duct, and run ducting of your central.
Quarterback can't throw the ball lying on his back.
bkag9824
AG
For you west Houston folks…

Polar Express

In full disclosure, my brother-in-law owns the company. He's taken a step back in the day-day ops, but is still around and might be willing to come install himself instead of sending a tech.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.