Outdoors
Sponsored by

The supernatural and the outdoors

12,480 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1063257/2#discussion

That Wheeler Ridge story!

You just referenced a 43 page thread. You're going to need to include a page number.
BigNastyNate
AG
I could type the story about the old farm house, staying with some buddies in the boys room upstairs, next to the west wing. The west wing had locks on the outside of the door and there was a window in the boys room closet looking into the west wing.

I could type all about the night me and some buddies were mocking whatever was in the west wing, and when we challenged it, the lights in that upstairs hallway turned on and the bedroom door to the boys room popped open slightly.

I could even type about how when we all three nervously crept over to the door, and reached for the door handle, the door slammed shut and the lights turned off.

But that story always creeps me out… even typing about it gives me chills.
rather be fishing
AG
Bonzer103 said:

water turkey said:

I was in Hawaii and once found a little tiki figure. From the moment I picked it up, my large, blended family had bad luck......

You're jumping the shark with this type of comment

Wrong show, Fonz.
Lonestar-aught-six
Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

You just referenced a 43 page thread. You're going to need to include a page number.

Page 9 with a follow up from the husband friend later.
Friend on page 18 by ClickClack
lotsofhp
AG
SunrayAg said:

Back when I was a student at A&M.

I was on my way home from the hall of fame one night about 2 am. I had a couple of beers earlier in the evening, but was not impaired at all.

I was waiting at a stoplight.

As soon as the stoplight turned green, I put my foot on the gas pedal and started to push. But I heard a voice yell "STOP". So I lifted my foot.

About that time a black Cadillac with the lights turned off came blowing through that intersection at well over 100 mph.

If I would have accelerated like normal, he would have t-boned me in the drivers door at 100mph, and I would have been done.

I started feeling sick to my stomach and put my truck in park, and got out to look for who ever yelled stop.

There was nobody around.

That's a really cool story.

My brother in law has a similar story though the situation wasn't nearly as potentially lethal.

When he was a kid, my in-laws lived on like 13 acres and had various animals including a Ram. He was in the pen with it and he swears to this day he hard a voice yell "RUN!!" Moments before being rammed by the ram. There was no one around.

Now I'm fascinated by these "heard a voice" stories
dubberage

Saw a leprechaun once
Naveronski
SanAntoneAg
AG
He was in a pen, not a pin.
Gig 'em! '90
lotsofhp
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

He was in a pen, not a pin.
edited. thanks
O.G.
When I was a kid I was rabbit/squirrel hunting on some property adjacent to my granddads. That property was near a highway and a roadside park.

I came up on a clearing that had a stake in the ground with a goat skull on it, a pentagram drawn in the dirt etc etc. I remember their being some kind of rug or carpet there too and multiple other things around the "circle".

I was hunting by myself (that part freaks out a lot of parents these days) with a .22 so I was a little bad a$$ and kicked over all of their stuff, and sort of destroyed the area. Told my dad about it when I got home.

This was the 80s and the height of the, "Satanic Panic", and I think he said something about letting the Sheriff know but he didn't get too worked up about it. Mom on the other hand thought I needed to be prayed over, laying of hands and the earth scorched in the spot where I'd been.
maroon barchetta
O.G. said:

When I was a kid I was rabbit/squirrel hunting on some property adjacent to my granddads. That property was near a highway and a roadside park.

I came up on a clearing that had a stake in the ground with a goat skull on it, a pentagram drawn in the dirt etc etc. I remember their being some kind of rug or carpet there too and multiple other things around the "circle".

I was hunting by myself (that part freaks out a lot of parents these days) with a .22 so I was a little bad a$$ and kicked over all of their stuff, and sort of destroyed the area. Told my dad about it when I got home.

This was the 80s and the height of the, "Satanic Panic" in the 80s, and I think he said something about letting the Sheriff know but he didn't get too worked up about it. Mom on the other hand thought I needed to be prayed over, laying of hands and the earth scorched in the spot where I'd been.

You have to use salt and gasoline. That's what Sam and Dean would do.
1988PA-Aggie
Found MrBallen on Youtube. He is a great story-teller with topics of paranormal, places people shouldn't go...but did, and lots of outdoors encounters...worth a listen.
rather be fishing
AG
O.G. said:

This was the 80s and the height of the, "Satanic Panic", and I think he said something about letting the Sheriff know but he didn't get too worked up about it. Mom on the other hand thought I needed to be prayed over, laying of hands and the earth scorched in the spot where I'd been.

Found this on a site visit one time.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Somehow developed a preference for working nights.

During all that time working at night, I never saw anything in nature with my own eyes, that I could go back now and point to as supernatural.

The appeal of working nights was this.

If you are trying to monitor an environment, its easier to tell if something is amiss at night. Less going on, less static. Less distractions. You could hear farther. You could see lighted objects farther away at night than you could see during the day. Your senses are heightened and everything is moving slower at night.

I always felt like night was more manageable for me, almost all of the time.

That said, working nights, long term can really f-you up. The best thing that anyone can do for their health is try and stay on a normal sleeping habit. Once you get to a certain age, working nights ain't gonna happen.

Trust me on this sleep thing though. if you are working nights, and you don't really have to, I'd get back on a normal day night schedule as soon as I could.
FamousAgg
Thats Grandaddy Jacobsen's barn. Good times….
Thisguy1
Lonestar-aught-six said:

Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

Just getting around to checking it out, but I had an idea that was going to be the story. Candy 95 told that story on the radio. No idea that it came from TexAgs. When we were looking for our first house we looked at the house across the street from the one in the story.
AceAggie05
AG
I was a kid, probably 12 or 13. I was playing around in the creek when my dog started barking. I jumped on the 4 wheeler and rode to the barking. I found my dog with something I couldn't describe. It was an animal, but like none I have ever seen. It looked kind of like a dog, but it's face wasn't the face of a dog. I left the dog and raced for the house, grabbing a gun and heading back out. By the time I got halfway back, my dog came running up to greet me, with no signs of a fight.

Having grown up on a ranch, and reading about animals constantly, I'd like to think there's not much in my world I don't know about. To this day, I still don't know what I saw….
JSKolache
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

SunrayAg said:

Back when I was a student at A&M.

I was on my way home from the hall of fame one night about 2 am. I had a couple of beers earlier in the evening, but was not impaired at all.

I was waiting at a stoplight.

As soon as the stoplight turned green, I put my foot on the gas pedal and started to push. But I heard a voice yell "STOP". So I lifted my foot.

About that time a black Cadillac with the lights turned off came blowing through that intersection at well over 100 mph.

If I would have accelerated like normal, he would have t-boned me in the drivers door at 100mph, and I would have been done.

I started feeling sick to my stomach and put my truck in park, and got out to look for who ever yelled stop.

There was nobody around.

That was God
Or Hank

tmaggies
AG
duffelpud said:

In 2007 I was solo hiking in Big Bend National Park. I was entering a very remote canyon environment where there are a log of water features. At one point I was standing next to a spring-fed pool taking in the view when I got a strange 'hairs on the back of my neck' feeling, like someone or something was watching me. I quickly moved up canyon and the feeling subsided.

A few years later I returned to the same spot and discovered a hidden cave entrance just above the pool.

Curious what canyon?
MattAg98
AG
My experience is almost identical to SunrayAg. I was driving home from work late one night and was stopped at a red light. I am an impatient person and like to take off quickly when the light turns green. As I'm staring at the red light getting ready to take off, a weird feeling came over me that I had never felt before. I just entered a fuzzy hazy almost paralyzed state, and as the light turned green I just sat there unable to move my right foot off the brake. About 2 seconds later a car came flying out of nowhere and crossed the intersection at what seemed like 90mph. Then, I felt perfectly fine and was able to drive on as if nothing happened. I have no idea where that feeling came from, there's no question I would have been Tboned.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Many years ago I was walking through my pasture at night on a warm Spring evening after work.
I had been checking on a young cow having a calf, stayed too long, got dark, no flashlight.

As I was walking through the pasture to our house, I heard a very powerful deep bass rumble warning growl very close to me.
It was too dark to see it.
Sounded like a lion.
Literally the hair rose on my neck.
Realizing I had become " prey " , Caveman survival instincts took over and I took off running zig zags.

Went back in truck with gun & spotlight. Turned out it was an 12 foot long alligator.
It was crossing the pasture moving from a nearby creek into an oxbow lake.

I've been around gators a lot - but never surprised by one in the grass at night. I was lucky it didn't hit me with its tail and drag me into the lake to drown & eat.

BQRyno
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

Dude, f that story. I made a mistake reading the page 9 story before going to bed just now. Not going to read the follow up on page 18 at night. Holy moly.
Orbital Debris
AG
Not creepy supernatural, but very strange in the middle of nowhere. A few years ago I dragged my nephew and Brother-in-law along to drive the White Rim Road in Canyonlands. 3 days of driving and camping in the canyons about a 100 miles total and fairly isolated. Designated camp sites are about 20 miles apart.

Well into the 2nd day of driving, As we rounded the bend under Washer Woman arch, we pulled to the side to allow some mountain bikers to go by. At that point, we see a hiker come over the ridge in front of us. This is about 10 miles from the nearest campground, and we haven't seen anyone on foot the entire road. BIL (w/binoculars) tells me there is something odd with the hiker. He has no pack, and dressed like a cowboy, so I took a pic with the zoom. Straw hat, jeans, neckerchief, belt buckle and boots. We pull abreast of him and ask if he needs assistance. He sticks his handlebar mustache in the window and says: "Y'all seen my horse? He run off on me." Um, no. Would you like a bottle of water? "No, do you have any whiskey?" No, sure you don't want water? "Naw, I'm off to track mah horse."

When we reached the next campground the toilet service truck was nearby (the campgrounds have a single latrine that gets pumped out), so we flagged him down. Since we were concerned some dude was wandering the back country without resources, we described odd cowboy to him. His response was equally strange. "oh that guy with the straw hat? He is full of SHHHEEET man. Like he is into Monkey Wrench Gang, Edward Abbey sheeeet. F him." Uh, ok thanks dude.

I mentioned it to the rangers after we exited the canyon and he looked at me like I was nuts. This was not a place people rode horses, or even brought trailers into. If I didn't have the picture and witnesses, I would have thought it was some ghost wandering the trail.

IWannaGoFast1
AG
BQRyno said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

Dude, f that story. I made a mistake reading the page 9 story before going to bed just now. Not going to read the follow up on page 18 at night. Holy moly.
Did the same, joy.
TAMUallen
AG
coleasterling said:

BQRyno said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

I live in Wheeler Ridge, did the same, joy.

Page 18 is worse
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
It was probably just the Brave Cowboy
Everybody loves a dirt road
Maybe Next Year
AG
I find the nights in the marshlands and bayous of Southeast Texas to be infinitely more eerie than say the Hill Country or Panhandle. Probably because I've grown up hearing all the ol' folklore, and maybe believe some of it…
AggieArcher17
AG
Agreed with this. I can be by myself in a pitch black night in the hill country in the woods and feel right at home but anything east of I-45 in the dark gives me the heebie jeebies.
JD05AG
AG
Not outdoors, but in our guest room we have a remote control for the fan and lights, still gets power from the switch. If you leave the switch on in the middle of the night the light will turn on. I always use that bed for our laundry and folding clothes, if you're in there and the light is on and you're folding clothes or doing anything, it will turn off, you can walk over there and turn it back on using the remote, but it will turn back off. I always figured it was getting a signal from some other remote or phone or something, but sometimes if I'm in there and trying to get my kid's clothes gathered up in the morning to get him dressed and it does it more than once, I will say out loud "OK quit your s#it, I need to get busy." Usually it will quit turning off. It won't turn on during the day time, and once it turns on at night, it won't turn itself off. The logical side of me tells myself its has got to be something in the wiring, but the amount of times that I acknowledge it and it stops messing up has me questioning it.
maroon barchetta
JD05AG said:

Not outdoors, but in our guest room we have a remote control for the fan and lights, still gets power from the switch. If you leave the switch on in the middle of the night the light will turn on. I always use that bed for our laundry and folding clothes, if you're in there and the light is on and you're folding clothes or doing anything, it will turn off, you can walk over there and turn it back on using the remote, but it will turn back off. I always figured it was getting a signal from some other remote or phone or something, but sometimes if I'm in there and trying to get my kid's clothes gathered up in the morning to get him dressed and it does it more than once, I will say out loud "OK quit your s#it, I need to get busy." Usually it will quit turning off. It won't turn on during the day time, and once it turns on at night, it won't turn itself off. The logical side of me tells myself its has got to be something in the wiring, but the amount of times that I acknowledge it and it stops messing up has me questioning it.

Just don't walk towards the light. [/Craig T. Nelson]
Naveronski
AG
TAMUallen said:

coleasterling said:

BQRyno said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

Thisguy1 said:

Lonestar-aught-six said:

schmellba99 said:

I live in Wheeler Ridge, did the same, joy.

Page 18 is worse

If y'all like that, there are some similar stories on https://reddit.com/r/NoSleep/
Stat Monitor Repairman

Driving down a dark highway at 3am listening to Art Bell coming off a break.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.