Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chartered Ice Fishing??

1,042 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Horse with No Name
TexDill15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone ever been on a chartered/guided Ice fishing trip?

I'm thinking either Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin?

Never done anything like this but think it would be pretty cool for the pops and I next winter. Want to start scoping out vendors if anyone has ever been.
rather be fishing
AG
You could probably just show up at a local bar, buy some pitchers to make friends and then offer to buy the beer for the following day.
Sully Dog
&f=1&nofb=1
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
TexDill15
AG
That seems like a solid idea but I think I might be too soft to ice fish the hard way. I need a bougie heated ice fishing hut.
Post removed:
by user
AgResearch
AG
I ice fish MN and WI but have never hired a guide. My annual MN trip starts at 5am tomorrow. Will be at the cabin around 9am. I use a portable hut and rough it.

Lots of good outfits out there. Maybe consider one that uses both a wheel house (RV on ice) and portable hut. That gives you the option of being mobile and chase fish with good weather and then hunker down in evening in a wheel house for the walleye bite and relax.

Busy MN lakes w/ outfitters:
Lake of the Woods
Upper Red Lake (don't accidently cross on Indian territory they will arrest you and confiscate your stuff)
Leech Lake
Lake Winnibigoshish
Mille Lacs Lake

For WI target up north near Rhinelander, Eagle River, St. Germain, Arbor Vitae regions.

Devil's Lake, North Dakota is another to consider.

Here's a good forum to look for recommendations (mostly WI people posting there):
https://www.lake-link.com/forums/ice-fishing/
BradMtn346
A buddy guides ice fishing trips on Blue Mesa here in Colorado. All you have to do is show up with reasonably warm clothes. He has heaters for the shelters and some top notch electronics. The last time I fished the lake I had a limit of trout (4) in about an hour and started doing the catch and release game.

https://www.coloradofishingexpeditions.com/blue-mesa-ice-fishing-trips

My son and I.

Bird Poo
AG
That looks awesome. You mind sending links for what you used for bait/lures?

I'm going at the end of Feb and about to pull the trigger on some Berkeley gulp baits for ice fishing!
BradMtn346
PearlJammin said:

That looks awesome. You mind sending links for what you used for bait/lures?

I'm going at the end of Feb and about to pull the trigger on some Berkeley gulp baits for ice fishing!

Mostly I use small, 1.5", tube jigs tipped with half a meal worm or spikes. Chartreuse is my go to. Bigger tubes tipped with perch or sucker for lakers.
BowSowy
AG
BradMtn346 said:

My son and I.

Dang, you are a good looking fish
Horse with No Name
Stay away from Michigan if you are looking for a heated shanty on the ice. Ice anywhere in the southern half of the state is too unreliable to put that kind of structure on. Most everything in our part of the state is pop up type or just fish out in the open air. That said, the temps are not that bad, unless the wind is howling, so keeping a flask in your snow pants will keep you warm enough.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.