Outdoors
Sponsored by

Premium AR

9,135 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 12Power
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the market for a new premium AR, but not sure which direction I want to go. Requirements are light weight, accurate, and high quality. Will mostly be a safe queen for SHTF scenario, so it'll be topped with either a red dot or LPVO. Some brands I'm interested in are Wilson Combat, LaRue, Daniel Defense, but I'm sure there are a slew of other brands out there that I don't know of.

I've also built AR's, so I'm not interested in going that way. This is meant to be a splurge and celebration for my next daughter being born next month and a recent promotion. Price range, $2500-$3000 for rifle only. TIA!

ETA: reliable is also a must.
HossAg
AG
I have a DD and love it, but that cost me about half of what your budget is. I'm sure there are more premium options out there.
whitespikes06
AG
Depending on model, consider a JP.
dsvogel05
AG
Rented a DDM4 V7 and I liked it a lot, very light. This is a case of I don't know what I don't know. I don't normally play in the Barnes arena for firearms, but I figured with this purchase, why not?
dsvogel05
AG
JP is under consideration. Biggest problem is trying to find anywhere around Round Rock that has any of these high end rifles in stock just so you can see them.
mts6175
AG
Lone Star Armory.

https://www.lonestararmory.us/
EFE
AG
dsvogel05 said:

JP is under consideration. Biggest problem is trying to find anywhere around Round Rock that has any of these high end rifles in stock just so you can see them.

Next time you're down give me shout and you can look at my JP, it's in AR10 so won't be an apples to apples, but you can see the quality of their offerings and make analogues
BSD
AG
Local (Texas) company: Sons of Liberty Gun Works.
whitespikes06
AG
I have an LRP-07. It's definitely not light weight and the configuration may be out of budget depending on selections of trigger, buffer, cerakote etc.

I think CCC in Navasota may have some you can test. I realize that's a good way from you but at the price of the rifle it may be worth a call/drive to see a few. I'll offer the same as EFE if you're in the area.
SMM48
AG
Have Daniel. LaRue. JP. LMT.

All fine weapon systems.

Pick your poison.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
If you want to go prebuilt.. and want a wilson or daniel give me a call. I've done a pretty good job at getting wilsons in and DDs are hit or miss. Also, look at LWRC.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
SMM48
AG
Here is one I just picked up from Boss Firearms in College Station. They will be repinning and welding a Surefire warcomp in the place of the current muzzle device.

LMT Estonia. piston 14.3

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921611275

From your prelim list.

LaRue Daniel. Daniel LaRue.

The LaRue will be more accurate as they don't chrome line the barrel. Built to last. They are in Texas. Mark takes great pride in their accuracy and customer satisfaction.

If getting the Daniel. And shooting anything less than gold medal match. Expect 2 Moa. It's a fighting rifle not a precision tack driver.

If you are dead set on Daniel, Wilson or LaRue. Go with the one you would take if they gave you one free wish.

They are all three great rifles that will last a long time.
DatTallArchitect
AG
KAC (Knights Armament Company) SR15 is what you are looking for
SMM48
AG
He's not lying.

Go big or go home.
CharlieBrown17
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

If you want to go prebuilt.. and want a wilson or daniel give me a call. I've done a pretty good job at getting wilsons in and DDs are hit or miss. Also, look at LWRC.

Love my LWRC. Great damn gun
O.G.
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/
AggieMPH2005
I too am looking at upgrading to a more Gucci set up. Daniel Defense, Geissele and LWRC are what I am looking at.

Ended up ordering a DD m4a1 upper from Brownells, but still looking. May still get one more complete rifle or pistol
dsvogel05
AG
Not a bad choice. Not sure what it costs, but chrome lined barrel? I know it's for longevity, but it doesn't exactly lend itself to accuracy. Also, is that a forged upper and lower? I assumed at the $2500 to $3000 space most would be billet receivers, no?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
JP Rifles SRC-11
or
JP Rifles CTR-02
Both are perfect Premium guns that are second to none imo.

SMM48
AG
That is THE choice.

JimmyHouston
AG
Larue in 6.5 grendel has been the most accurate one I have shot so far...love love love that gun
ArmaLite
If I was buying it would be one these no question.
https://www.knightarmco.com/12012/shop/commercial-firearms/sr-15/nfa/sr-15-e3-cqb-mod-2-m-lok
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
A lot gets down to what's the biggest emphasis... accuracy? Jp. Reliability.... most of the rest are pretty damned close
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Another to throw in would be Odin. Not sure how availability is on them but we use a ton of their parts. Their receiver set is sexy, especially when combined with their handguards
AnScAggie
AG
I have multiple DD's and that's my wife, son and my go to in a SHTF scenario. Wilson Combat would be on my grab and go list as well.
dsvogel05
AG
I'm digging the Wilson Ultra Light Ranger for $2600 or a custom JP for about $3100. Problem is I don't know the weight on the JP. That might be the deal breaker.
SMM48
AG
Between those two. JP.

It's a six lb rifle.

The difference is negligible

Get a real stock. The ultra light ranger will be forward heavy.
slammerag
AG
Have a 6.5 Grendel JP upper. Shoots sub .25". Top shelf rig. Another not mentioned is knights. Knights is more geared toward defense/reliability
drummer0415
AG
I have an older Daniel Defense M4V7 lightweight version (pencil barrel), and I absolutely love it. It's a combat tool, super light, and with decent ammo is a more accurate shooter than I am.

That being said, if you're looking for ultimate precision/accuracy, the Larue or JP will be a step above the DD. They are also a step up in price too.
TSJ
AG
Triarc Systems

https://www.triarcsystems.com/product-category/rifles/
turf guy ag
Another vote for Lonestar Armory. Their process is very impressive. Bartlein barrels and supplying LEO's is a pretty good start to checking the boxes for you. LWRC is also an outstanding choice.
RK
AG
AnScAggie said:

I have multiple DD's and that's my wife...
niiiice.
FIDO 96
AG
1. Wilson Combat
2. HK
3. Anything non-AR (Bren2. SCAR, etc)
4. LaRue
5. DD

I'd move #3 up to #1 because I'm bored with AR platform.
JSKolache
AG
Honey badger
SMM48
AG
Also don't sleep on Noveske.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.