Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snow's bbq

8,725 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oldag941
jakeaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been wanting to go for a few years and never made it happen. Plan on making the trip with my daughters in a couple weeks. What's the best way to make sure to get bbq before it's gone? Other than getting there at 5am

Any other secrets I should know? Might head up to Brett's backyard bbq as well.
Fleff
AG
Pretty sure you can place an order earlier in the week and show up on Saturday to pick it up. Last time I went and stood in line Kerry gave me a card and said just order in advance.
jakeaggie84
AG
Fleff said:

Pretty sure you can place an order earlier in the week and show up on Saturday to pick it up. Last time I went and stood in line Kerry gave me a card and said just order in advance.

That's right. I remember reading that here one time. Is it worth the "experience" to take a chair and hang out?
EMY92
AG
If you order in advance, the BBQ isn't sliced.

Friend & I did it on our way to a game a couple of years ago. We brought utensils to slice brisket and ate at a park in Lexington.

I will say, that was the second time I had Snow's, the first was awesome, the second was tasteless. It was my friend's first time, and I could see the disappointment with the first bite. The meat was very tender, just no flavor.
rather be fishing
AG
If you order in advance you have to take it elsewhere. Can't eat it there.
Burrus86
AG
EMY92 said:

Friend & I did it on our way to a game a couple of years ago. We brought utensils to slice brisket and ate at a park in Lexington.

I will say, that was the second time I had Snow's, the first was awesome, the second was tasteless. It was my friend's first time, and I could see the disappointment with the first bite. The meat was very tender, just no flavor.

COVID?
Bigballin
AG
Dozen folks were already waiting in line at midnight

Wasn't the most folks that I've seen there today but still a pretty good line at 8:30 this morning
letmeinnow
AG
I got there about 6, and there were 10-12 people in line ahead of me. It was worth the wait.
Aggieangler93
AG
Every time I have made the drive and arrive around 8AM, it has been 10,000,000,000% worth the wait.
jakeaggie84
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Every time I have made the drive and arrive around 8AM, it has been 10,000,000,000% worth the wait.

Okay. Your percentage convinced me! Will be there.
AggieFabricator
I'd say definitely be in line by 6am to ensure having a shot at everything on the menu. Snows is great, I really enjoy it every time I go.
EMY92
AG
Burrus86 said:

EMY92 said:

COVID?
The football season prior to covid.

It was very disappointing.
Ogre09
AG
So if you get there at 6:00, what time do you eat? I love bbq, but having it for breakfast isn't as appealing as lunch or later.
CrocsAg20
AG
Called Kerry earlier in the week and picked up yesterday for lunch. Brisket was great. Got there about 11 am and the line was wrapped back around the building
lazuras_dc
AG
Someone always voices this concern. Don't worry after a few hours of being in line talking about and smelling amazing bbq, and drinking beer, you'll be ready for brisket by 9am

FWIW I went at 8am three years ago and ate at noon. So if you extrapolate that you may be eating around 9am I'd you got there at 6?
lazuras_dc
AG
Is there a separate line or area for pickup ?
CrocsAg20
AG
Back register over by the pit
Martin Cash
AG
I don't get it. There are so many great BBQ places, why the hell would anyone go stand in line at midnight, just to eat BBQ for BREAKFAST?

It's insane.

Second, if a BBQ joint sells out in four hours, why open at 8 am? Why not open at noon and close at 4? BBQ is not a breakfast food.

And if you're drinking at 8 am, you're an alkie.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Average Joe
AG
I guess I have been super lucky every time I go. I get there about 8:30 or 9 and there is never more than 10-15 people in line. Always get brisket, sausage and ribs.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Gone about 5 times over the last 8 years or so. Never got there at weird or ridiculous times (10 am earliest probably) and they were never out of the main meats nor did I have to wait longer than 30 minutes.

Not saying my experience is the norm, but I'm always surprised to hear people say how early they went when I've never had to.
agfan2013
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Gone about 5 times over the last 8 years or so. Never got there at weird or ridiculous times (10 am earliest probably) and they were never out of the main meats nor did I have to wait longer than 30 minutes.

Not saying my experience is the norm, but I'm always surprised to hear people say how early they went when I've never had to.

When was the most recent time? My guess is not since the Netflix special. People line up at 7-8pm the night before now. Line can be 100 people deep by 7am unless it's really poor weather.

I've been 3-4 times between 2013-2018 and would get there around 8-9am and be able to eat at a decent time, but it's a different ballgame now and the main reason I haven't been back. Getting there at 10 probably means not eating or limited selection by the time you get there.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Yeah good point. My last time was fall 2019 probably.
Bird93
AG
My son and I did a BBQ tour last summer. We got to Snow's at 0745. We were numbers 230 & 231 in line. Kerry said the previous week they ran out of brisket at like person 245. When we were inside paying, a guy brought in a brisket and said it was the last one.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm pretty close to it, and heard about it right when it was "discovered" and before it blew up into long waits a few years back. Shoulda took advantage of that more.
Ogre09
AG
Martin Cash said:

I don't get it. There are so many great BBQ places, why the hell would anyone go stand in line at midnight, just to eat BBQ for BREAKFAST?

I agree

It's insane.

Damn straight

Second, if a BBQ joint sells out in four hours, why open at 8 am? Why not open at noon and close at 4? BBQ is not a breakfast food.

Good idea

Now wait just a minute, buddy! How can you drink all day if you don't start at sunrise?

AggieGunslinger
AG
Sometimes it's the journey not the finish that makes the story worth telling years from now.

You sound like fun at parties.
XpressAg09
AG
Gentle reminder to never take directions from Collard Greens on the way to Snow's.
AZAG08
AG
Martin Cash said:

BBQ is not a breakfast food.

Strongly disagree -- BBQ is an always food
dsvogel05
AG
Put me in the minority, but I think Snows is overrated.
Mathguy64
AG
I've been multiple times. Shown up at 8:30 and been about 130 in line and shown up at 7:30 and been under the cover.

We went last year after they opened back up. Got there about 7:30 and there were several hundred there already with multiple large RVs parked up and down the street. There were clearly people who showed up the night before. We turned around, came home and had migas.
schmellba99
AG
Martin Cash said:

It's insane.

I bet you are a riot at parties
wadd96
AG
Don't tell people about this... Seriosdly.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
wadd96
AG
"A guy" was probably Colby (aka Snowflake.)
duddleysdraw88
AG
Couple of months back the first group got there a little after midnight and were eating 8:30ish I think.

Get there at 6:00 and you will be eating around 12:30 or 1:00. Any later than that and you risk running out of some meats!

*You could get lucky and "win" the magic pass to move you up 75 spots in line

Go early with friends and make it an event!
wadd96
AG
No comment. Because Larissa will kick my ass if I do ..
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.