Outdoors
Sponsored by

walnut bedroom set

3,273 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has been in the garage being worked on for a while.. but finally delivered (just lacking handles to be delivered, but ill go back and install those whenever they arrive).

The pieces all started off with some extra wide walnut stock I had ordered and shipped in from Pennsylvanie:

The dresser and nightstands were all traditional joinery of mortises/tenons/rabbets/dados, so lots of prep work on the joinery..

Then it was on to the drawers... lots of drawers and lots of dovetails..

I am always a fan of using the same board on pieces with multiple columns of drawers.. but that meant lots of labeling and tracking to make sure they were all kept in the right position:

There were also a matching pair of nightstands to go along with the dresser.. same general design and process:

Finished dressers/nightstands.. (sans handles):

The bed was a classic raised panel style, but I always hated large raised panels that had multiple narrow boards glued together, so once again I used the extra wide stock to make sure each raised panel was only 2 boards glued together:

lots of test fitting and marking of joints when testing so that when I tore them all down and reassembled them everything went back together properly:

the raised panels float in order to allow them to move without fighting the frame and cracking it.. which means finishing the panels prior to assembly (otherwise if they did shrink/swell/move you could see an exposed line of unfinished material):

then once glued together, in order to keept the finish even, the panels are masked while the frame is sprayed:

then once they are even in base coats, I could spray the whole things:

I noticed on assembly that the piece could rack some in the hardware, which could stress the hardware if not careful, so I made a few buttresses in the corners to reinforce the piece. These are set up so that just one bolt into a machine insert is needed at each joint, so the whole bed goes together with just 4 bolts. The blocks you see on the side rails is to properly space the mattress supports. The boards they are on actually are adjustable between 2 positions on the rails so that you can have the mattress set lower in the sides, or you can move them up and the mattress sets about 7" higher:

another test fitup pic (prior to complete finish on the frame):

the complete headboard and footboard with finish:

Up next is about 3 live edge tables, and a curly maple desktop which I am torturing myself by doing a texas lonestar inlay.. teaser pic on those projects, but will have more once they are complete:

Baron von Bulsh
Incredible work... as always
Aggie12B
AG
Agrams, you are Truly an Artist. That bedroom set is absolutely gorgeous. I've probably asked this before, and I apologize if I have. Are you self taught?
Rock1982
AG
Please provide an update when you finish the Lonestar!
agrams
AG
self taught. just lots of patience.
dubi
AG
agrams said:

And trial and error?
Aggietaco
AG
Do you spray in the garage?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
How much?
cageybee77
AG
damn. I wish I was as talented. That's gorgeous.
agrams
AG
I do. Lots of drop cloths on machines with steel tops so I don't have to go back and scrap specks of finish off. I don't have a dedicated spray booth. Spraying vertical surfaces helps me keep dust down, though I blow out the garage and run an air filter for a while before I spray, and let everything settle down. Honestly being able to work from home a few days a week has been a boone for me when it comes to finishing. I can set everything up the night before, then get up in the morning, spray a coat, then go sit at my computer and work. Then can do a second coat a few hours later and usually do the full finish schedule in one day. Otherwise it can spread out over 2-3 evenings to get the coats on and it prevents me from working on other projects those evenings.
Aggie12B
AG
agrams said:

Now I'm even more impressed.
El Chupacabra
I'll give you $350 if you'll ship it.
citizenkane06
AG
Walnut is just the most beautiful lumber.
agrams
AG
I love it. I've got a couple big slabs I've had sitting around for a few years. plan to turn one into a waterfall desk for my wife. ignore the dark spot, I spilled some stain on them, but I need to mill them flat and that will machine off.
Kong77
Very well done. I love working with wood as well, but no where near this level of skill.
agrams
AG
making progress on the inlay. it fits, but I don't want to hammer it in until I'm ready to epoxy it in, as I probably won't be able to remove them without damaging them. it's tough to see scale, but it's about 20" in diameter.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Dang. That's nice
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
dubi
AG
agrams said:

making progress on the inlay. it fits, but I don't want to hammer it in until I'm ready to epoxy it in, as I probably won't be able to remove them without damaging them. it's tough to see scale, but it's about 20" in diameter.

Gorgeous!
Eliminatus
AG
Absolutely gorgeous.

And I imagine it doesn't haven't to be said that if you have to ask for a price, you can't afford it...one day I'll get there.

That LoneStar is epic though.

Like most here, I am nakedly envious of your talent. Your threads never disappoint.
FIDO 96
AG
I marvel you still do this from your garage…-as a side gig!. I recall photos you showed me years ago that was more garage than shop. Now it's all shop and no garage!

Have you moved on from milling your own stock?
agrams
AG
the garage is a mess. one day I'll get a shop.

I really don't mill much anymore. I used to have a friend with some land I could drop logs off at and go mill, but don't have that luxury anymore. I sold off my trailer and a few chainsaws, and am in the process of selling most of the rest off. I mainly got into milling because 10 years ago there weren't many places to buy slabs. that has changed a lot. I only milled as a means to have slabs, but now I can find what I need, or if someone wants a tree milled, there are a few good sawmills I've worked up relationships with that do a good job at a price well worth paying to save my time.
mpl35
AG
Awesome
lurker76
Agrams, I mean this in the most complimentary way possible. You are at a Norm Abrams level of craftsmanship. When I saw Norm on This Old House 30 years ago, he amazed me, and you do so today. To do this quality of work in a shop converted from a garage as a side interest is nothing short of amazing. On top of that, you also are very free with advice and tips to almost anyone that asks. Thanks for sharing all your work and being so helpful.
agz win
AG
Just amazing art. You are inspiring.
agrams
AG
working on the inlay still.. hope to glue up tonight..

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.