Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2022 Outdoor Gardening Thread*****

34,015 Views | 358 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobcat-Ag
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a little story for ya, Ags. Time to start up the new thread and see who's doing what. We always seem to gather a few new folks interested in gardening who start up for the first time, and I definitely learn a lot from some of you (not TxAggie_08).

I was a terrible gardener last year and did not do near as much as I was hoping to do, but have definitely learned from what I did do (and didn't do) over the course of 2021. We all got some cold weather this weekend and I'm hoping that it'll stay cool, but not freezing, for some time and we can get things underway again.

I finally got my act together and set up some drip irrigation, but boy howdy, that as a learning experience in and of itself. Lots of pinched palms (from cutting tubes) and torn knuckles (from pushing adapters and transfers into tubing against the closest hard surface I had, a brick wall). I am not a smart man. Anywho, glad to say i have three types of carrots in the ground, along with peas next to the trellis and then "tennis ball lettuce," broccoli, and swiss chard as well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress, and hopefully getting out there and tending to things more often than last year.

Edit to add photos. Poor quality because sun was setting, but I'm happy to have the main line set up and offshoots going into the first bed (only active one).

Plenty of milkweed too, so we'll be making a bunch of monarchs this year.

B-1 83
AG
Didn't do a great job of covering my tomatoes, and they got partially scorched. Partially scorched is usually enough to just yank them. Still picked a bunch of ripe ones - Celebrity and a little yellow pear.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
XpressAg09
AG
Onions in the ground today, waterline hooked up, and lettuce is starting to make its appearance. Managed to catch one dog mod sneeze, which is impressive.

XpressAg09
AG
I'll carry this thread all by myself. At the very least, it'll keep me honest.
Peas germinated recently, as did carrots (not pictured)
Build It
AG
Jan 17th and Maas Nursery in Seabrook has tomato plants for you early zealots.

I'm still in the middle of reconstructing my entire garden. I like to make "Mel's Mix", 4 new 4x8 beds is going to be expensive if I don' t find a cheaper sources of manure and vermiculite. If anyone else looking the best price I've found so far is Southwest Fertilizer. Buts it's a hour drive from me. Wabash has the big bags also but expensive. Maas has the little expensive bags.

Any good sources for manure compost this year?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Starting my outdoor garden indoors again this year.

Roma Tomatoes
Beefsteak Tomatoes
Rainbow Bell
Rocket
Kale
Okra
Spinach
Mustard
Kale variety 2
Jalapeño
Serrano
Habanero (orange)
Habanero (mix)
Bell
Poblano
Beets
Peas
Black eyed peas
Pickling Cucumbers
Cilantro
Three kinds of corn including Pop
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Will be constructing 2 10 x 4 raised beds in the coming days. Had sprinklers installed in the yard recently and had them put some raised up heads on their own zone for this. Not sure what I am going to do this time. Black cherry tomatoes for sure and some squash.
citizenkane06
AG
I've got several tomato varieties growing indoors under lights right now. Hopefully starting them in November will yield more fruit than last year.
polksalet12345
Planting onions in Bowie county. Taters go in Valentine's Day.
All your base
maddiedou
AG
I have a very big garden as pretty sure everybody knows from some of my pics but that is like 450 plants

Do you plant that many if so I like you alot because more is better but if not what do you do with all the plants
El_duderino
This is the first year for us with a garden. Have onions and potatoes so far and then will have 5 10'x3.5' raised beds later on in the year.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I have about 1,500 SF of land to play with and I think I plant pretty efficiently. BUT, the real answer is that not all of my seeds sprout up, and when they are ready to put in the ground, I plant the most hardy looking ones first, then either give the others away, or put them in the compost pile, or sprinkle them around the flower beds.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
XpressAg09
AG
We always get at least one newbie! Welcome to the club.
SharkinAg
AG
Just got the beds cleaned up. The vego bed has some strawberries in it per the gf request. Those are coming out 1st of april. Lots of things planned and growing in the house as we speak.

dtkprowler
AG
We recently got a few water troughs like yours to do some gardening in. Any tips and what is the white thing in yours?
maddiedou
AG
The strawberries look good dont give up but it is a commitment year two is the best year

I am trying strawberries this year well I started last year but started a whole row and we will see what happens next year
HumpitPuryear
AG
Have not had a garden in years but working on it for this year. We are getting a late start and have a lot to do so we may not be too productive this year. We have an acre that backs up to a creek. Deer are going to be a major issue. I've been considering a 3D electric fence set up to cordon off the garden. Has anyone tried this?
txaggie_08
AG
I can't decide what I'm going to do for this year. Wife and I just moved into a new home, and I've got a decent place to put a garden out of sight, but I'm not sure it gets enough sun to grow the veggies we like, like squash, tomatoes, and okra. The area is nestled between our house and our 8' privacy fence, and receives about 5 hours of direct sunlight right now. That could increase in summer, but I'm just not sure if it will.
SharkinAg
AG
dtkprowler said:

We recently got a few water troughs like yours to do some gardening in. Any tips and what is the white thing in yours?

They are great. It's nice to pull up a chair and work the plants at eye level. Gives the back a break. Don't worry about putting rocks and screen at the bottom. They drain fine with regular soil. Speaking of soil, that's the biggest debate you'll run into. I did miracle grow potting soil with landscapers pride potting soil mixed in. I've been very happy. Great drainage. I added natures blend today which is high quality compost.

Irrigation setups are a must in my opinion. Another poster in last year's gardening thread recommended the mister gardener vegetable kit from Lowe's. It's been awesome. Saves you lots of time and keeps the plants dry to decrease disease.

The white thing is a hoss tools fertilizer injector. I hate working fertilizer into the soil. Takes a lot of time and disturbs the roots quite a bit. So now I mix in water soluble or liquid fertilizer in this container once weekly and it distributes fertilizer to all of my plants through the irrigation system. It's awesome and easy. Not necessary but it makes your plants grow like crazy.

https://hosstools.com/product/hoss-fertilizer-injector/

The only reason it is up off the ground is because I was cleaning out the flower bed next to it and this got it up out of the way.

Last minute tip: drill lots of holes in the bottom of the containers. That's about it lol.

SharkinAg
AG
maddiedou said:

The strawberries look good dont give up but it is a commitment year two is the best year

I am trying strawberries this year well I started last year but started a whole row and we will see what happens next year

They probably won't get a fair chance this year then. We may get a small container for them later in the year and give them some time to do well. This was an impulse buy by the gf.
BigLeftMiss08
AG
New to this thread but have been reading up on you guys over the last year and into this year.

Looking to get into growing a few veggies this year as I have moved into a place with a backyard. I grew tomatoes and jalapenos in buckets while living in Houston for a few years but looking to maybe have a larger gardening footprint so looking for some advice.

Where: West Texas - Midland to be exact
What I want to grow: Peppers, tomatoes, basil are some things off the top of my head I use alot of
How: Should I get an elevated box type setup? Water trough? Raised bed?

Open to any and all comments, questions, etc.
dahouse
AG
I'm doing the pots again. I'll do 6-8 tomatoes, a couple jalapeno, and my daughter wants an okra patch.

Blue feed tubs with automatic irrigation and in-line fertilizer injector.

I'm in the Houston area so I'm thinking of trying to get a jump and gamble the weather. 2/12 or 2/19 install
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
maddiedou
AG
Okra peas to early they will grow but not maximize

Plant in aprilmay You will have more than enough
maddiedou
AG
Pototoes you should have cut already and in paper bag in dark colset for eyes to grow

Plant feb 14
Daddy-O5
AG
In to take notes.
Build It
AG
Rebuilding your garden is for the young, I had 4CY delivered and they showed up with 6. My lawn has a nice top dressing of great garden soil. 1 aging man and 1 shovel and 1 wagon on 6 yards will make you earn your supper.

Planning out the new beds. I've 4- 4x8 beds. What is the consensus on how many tomato plants in a 4x8 bed. I've done 6 but thinking of cutting back to 3. Maybe 6 in 1 and 3 in 1 and see what the production difference is with more room for the 3. Decisions decisions……
maddiedou
AG
I think 7 staggered 4 on one side 3 on the other hug each side about 6 inches off gives you the room between and across from each plant but you probably already figure that out Th plants will be at least 18 inches outside your box so stake it well
clobby
AG
Planning to build a raised bed at some point. Maybe this week.
SharkinAg
AG
Build It said:

Rebuilding your garden is for the young, I had 4CY delivered and they showed up with 6. My lawn has a nice top dressing of great garden soil. 1 aging man and 1 shovel and 1 wagon on 6 yards will make you earn your supper.

Planning out the new beds. I've 4- 4x8 beds. What is the consensus on how many tomato plants in a 4x8 bed. I've done 6 but thinking of cutting back to 3. Maybe 6 in 1 and 3 in 1 and see what the production difference is with more room for the 3. Decisions decisions……

Also depends on what kind of tomato plants. Some stay more compact, others get huge.
Build It
AG
Yea I was thinking the same. I may do one box with just 3 I'm really curious if the production goes up with more space. Also I use the large Texas Tomato Cages so I'm staked well. Mostly indeterminate so my plants are giant. Usually grow 15 - 20 plants per year. 10 or so different varieties. Nothing like the size of Maddiedou.
maddiedou
AG
I am glad I did not respond when you said tomotoe cages I was gonna say those ***** tomotote cages but then I looked them up They look like very good cages

Build It
AG
Yea they are the tits. They fold up easy and store behind my shed. Expensive but I'm on year 7. Limited space in the neighborhood. If I had room for rows I'd do the Florida weave.
zooguy96
SharkinAg said:

dtkprowler said:

They are great. It's nice to pull up a chair and work the plants at eye level. Gives the back a break. Don't worry about putting rocks and screen at the bottom. They drain fine with regular soil. Speaking of soil, that's the biggest debate you'll run into. I did miracle grow potting soil with landscapers pride potting soil mixed in. I've been very happy. Great drainage. I added natures blend today which is high quality compost.

Irrigation setups are a must in my opinion. Another poster in last year's gardening thread recommended the mister gardener vegetable kit from Lowe's. It's been awesome. Saves you lots of time and keeps the plants dry to decrease disease.

The white thing is a hoss tools fertilizer injector. I hate working fertilizer into the soil. Takes a lot of time and disturbs the roots quite a bit. So now I mix in water soluble or liquid fertilizer in this container once weekly and it distributes fertilizer to all of my plants through the irrigation system. It's awesome and easy. Not necessary but it makes your plants grow like crazy.

The only reason it is up off the ground is because I was cleaning out the flower bed next to it and this got it up out of the way.

Last minute tip: drill lots of holes in the bottom of the containers. That's about it lol.

You can do the same thing with a trash can, sump pump, and any granular fertilizer if you can't find water soluble. That's what I did last year (although I had water soluble).

And I was the person who suggested the irrigation system at Lowes. Super easy and I plant my plants where the water comes out - I set out the irrigation first.
AggieAces06
AG
I did some seed starters yesterday. They will hanging out in the garage under the windows for the next few weeks to sprout. We'll transfer them to the garden in early March probably.
SharkinAg
AG
zooguy96 said:

SharkinAg said:

dtkprowler said:

You can do the same thing with a trash can, sump pump, and any granular fertilizer if you can't find water soluble. That's what I did last year (although I had water soluble).

And I was the person who suggested the irrigation system at Lowes. Super easy and I plant my plants where the water comes out - I set out the irrigation first.

Well I am glad I took your advice. Makes life so much easier.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.