Sponsored by

*** 2022 White Bass Run ***

27,828 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by allMondjoy
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Nasreddin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always wondered "when"? In like February/March after a big rain?
Post removed:
by user
K_P
AG
watching, we always have fun on Somerville
Post removed:
by user
K_P
AG
I think it's called Irwin bridge. I bring a small old canoe and paddle down to an old downed tree and fish the downstream side of it. The canoe is really just a convenience; you can walk in but I like to get away from the crowd.
AgDad121619
AG
Interested bin trying it in the Sabine around Carthage - will be watching thread. I think I have read small curly tail grubs in white and chartreuse and roadrunners are the go to lures?
Animal Eight 84
AG
40 years ago I used to catch some nice white bass below Somerville damn in Yegua Creek.

Is that still an accessible fishing spot ?
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
Ive caught nice bass below the canyon lake dam on a rooster tail spinner. The best though is up river from Rebecca creek.
AgDad121619
AG
FAT SEXY said:

AgDad121619 said:

Interested bin trying it in the Sabine around Carthage - will be watching thread. I think I have read small curly tail grubs in white and chartreuse and roadrunners are the go to lures?

I might need to rig a couple of these up and see! Like said in the OP, I found the most success with rooster tails and have never really strayed from them since.
road runners are basically rooster tails with an offset body tied with marabou
SanAntoneAg
AG
Roadrunners are jigs with a small spinner that come in a variety tails.

Rooster tails are inline spinners,
Gig 'em! '90
Post removed:
by user
bobbunker
We fished welch park every spring, before sunrise we'd cast net for shad and ghost minnows. if we caught bait, we caught sandies. Bit was often 30 minutes to 2 hrs long. Good times and good groceries.
Badace52
AG
I have fished heavily for white bass for only about four years or so, but I made it a goal of mine to become competent at catching the buggers.

I tried rooster tails (work pretty well when the run is really going but when it's slow they aren't gonna catch fish). Casting up spot tailed shiners (always works like a charm but it's a lot of work hauling castnets and bait buckets with bubblers around), store bought shiners ( surprisingly ineffective), and jigs (I think I just suck at jigging but it doesn't work for me).

By far the easiest, most effective, and most fun way to catch white bass is with a fly rod and clouser minnows on a Type III sinking fly line. The sinking fly line is the real kicker cuz you have to be on bottom to catch the little buggers.

It has become easily my favorite form of freshwater fishing. Good luck out there this year. I think we can start trying for them mid January the way this winter has gone.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
An oldie but one of the better days on the creek. I bought new waders after this trip and they've been great since.

https://instagr.am/p/BetzQWqAjH8
J-Moe
Howdy Ags,

Class of 1987 Petroleum Engineering

If you want to get more information on Somerville and the white bass run I have a thread on the Texas Fishing Forum in the Bank Fishing Section. You can also get lots of information by watching the "Fishtales" videos by William Tedrick with the Eagle.

The best 2 places to fish the Yegua during the white bass run are Irwin Bridge and Newman Bottom. The other creeks such as Nails and Birch will only be productive if there are heavy rains in the watershed during the peak run periods.

I almost exclusively fish with a fly rod. Fishing the clear waters of the central Texas in places like the San Gabriel it is easily the best method of catching them. Currently the Yegua is extremely clear. If you do fish these clear waters with spinning gear I would suggest using an utlralight rod with 4 or 6 lb. line and a 1/32 ounce white marabou jig.

aggiegolfer03
AG
And for those who want something easy from a kayak, I've caught the crap outta whites in Nails and Yegua when they're running on bright colored Bandit 100 crankbaits (small squarebill that goes about 4 ft deep).

I find making long casts in the center of the creek is easier to do from a kayak and more efficient than any other method I've tried. I've caught whites anywhere from where the yegua mouth is in the reeds almost in the main lake, to the bank anglers at Newman Bottom.

The hardest thing is that you need water for a good run, but no so much that it floods everything and muddies everything up. Timing is tough.
Badace52
AG
I catch them in muddy water all the time in the San Gabriel above Granger Lake... I find as long as it doesn't flood the banks, rain is always a good thing for the run. You can definitely catch them like crazy in fast flowing, muddy water.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggieangler93
AG
Badace52 said:

I catch them in muddy water all the time in the San Gabriel above Granger Lake... I find as long as it doesn't flood the banks, rain is always a good thing for the run. You can definitely catch them like crazy in fast flowing, muddy water.
Are you getting them in the San Gabriel lately? I am not too far from there and may have some time to sneak out this weekend. I think my 5wt has WFF on it though, so I may have to get a sinking tip.
MouthBQ98
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Animal Eight 84 said:

40 years ago I used to catch some nice white bass below Somerville damn in Yegua Creek.

Is that still an accessible fishing spot ?

I want to say that it is. I've never personally fished that spot, but have seen people there several times... Haven't driven past that part of the lake in some time, so I don't know for sure.

I'd imagine it still is.

Latest I have heard is they're officially not allowing parking there due to rampant theft and break-ins. Of course.
Badace52
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Badace52 said:

Are you getting them in the San Gabriel lately? I am not too far from there and may have some time to sneak out this weekend. I think my 5wt has WFF on it though, so I may have to get a sinking tip.

I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure there are some there. The run really kicks in mid to late January through mid to late March. The only people who catch them in the early and late parts of the run are the fly fishermen.
tmvincent97
AG
We tore up the sand bass end of January last year at Stubbfield Rec Area on lake conroe. its about a hour away. we used kayaks to get back in the creek but people were bank fishing and doing well too.

Has anyone hit stubblefield or sommerville this year yet? I'm planning on taking the boat out to sommerville Saturday to try.
John Cocktolstoy
tmvincent97 said:

We tore up the sand bass end of January last year at Stubbfield Rec Area on lake conroe. its about a hour away. we used kayaks to get back in the creek but people were bank fishing and doing well too.

Has anyone hit stubblefield or sommerville this year yet? I'm planning on taking the boat out to sommerville Saturday to try.
Would you mind running about and kicking up what ducks are here?
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
DUman08
AG
They are already up in stubblefield. Since they finished the boat ramp lots of people doing well on whitebass even from bank i have seen some half stringers.
tmvincent97
AG
have you tried using that new boat ramp? looks like a tricky spot to launch and not alot of parking from the pics I've seen? I may try it this weekend instead of sommerville. I have a 20ft bass boat i'd be launching
John Cocktolstoy
Come on! Kicking up some ducks is not going to take long.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
DUman08
AG
Smaller aluminum boat no problem, there is some rocks right out past the end of the ramp that boats get hung on so if you do it I would bring a push pole to get out into middle of channel before dropping motor down. I watched few guys use mostly long tails and tiller driven stuff. havent seen anything dropped in there.
tmvincent97
AG
oh, you were serious haha! I thought you meant i'd be messing up the hunting! I may come that way instead. I'm undecided... is the water high enough to get a boat back in the creeks at sommerville? If i come to sommerville i don't mind kicking some up if i see them
agz win
AG
Over 30 mph gusts from new norther on Saturday so be careful.
SCQ
We hit the creeks at Richland Chambers starting Valentine's Day till Easter. You never know when but it's always fun fishing out of the wind and enjoying adult beverages and fellowship
tmvincent97
AG
agz win said:

Over 30 mph gusts from new norther on Saturday so be careful.
I appreciate the heads up! i didnt even think to look. I guess I'll be waiting
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.