Outdoors
Sponsored by

Your Child Was Absent From School on 10/21/21

4,037 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WC87
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big sister got first shot earlier in the week. I think she may have been the first person to scare off every deer in the county by yawning. I knew the 8yo would be more serious and her turn came today. Ive taken a number of kids out for their first deer in previous years. Mine havent been mature enough for it until this season. I had planned on them rifle hunting but they asked to try the crossbow. A little practice and I was thoroughly impressed with their consistency.

Alarm goes off at 5:25am and she was already up. A 40 minute drive and a mandatory honey bun later and we pulled in the gate. No lights needed for the walk to the blind under the full moon. We get set up and settle in for the next 30 minutes of grey light as the day approaches. In the thick morning air the wood ducks on the roost pond sounded like they were right outside the blind. The feeder goes off a touch early at about 6:55. Nothing in the first 20 minutes. She's the one telling me to be quiet every time I move an inch. I explain to her that with the full moon, sometimes the animals feed at night and we might have to wait them out.

We're after a doe but the property has really been over ran with young 4-6 points for some reason. The resident 4 point shows up about 7:30 and gives us something to watch and practice aiming at. There's also been a 2.5yo 11 point showing religiously that I was praying wouldn't show. He's the definition of a deer that shouldnt be shot.

At 7:40 another small buck shows. A good sized spike I had seen on camera. The only spike Ive had on the property this year. I had told myself we wouldnt shoot him but he just kept tempting us. He made about 4 laps around the feeder crunching corn and I couldnt take it any longer and gave the green light. Nothing wrong with a spike for a first deer! Within two seconds, the bolt was buried in the ground, he was out of the feed pen, and blood was spraying out onto the dew covered grass.

Lots of smiles.

View from the blind.

From point of impact.

I knew it was a death shot but wanted to teach good habits so we waited a solid 30 minutes. The fire ants were already enjoying their breakfast.

Took the opportunity to try to teach some tracking but he only went about 40 yards.

She's super proud of the shot she made.

I think Ive added a new layer to the sibling rivalry!
jt2hunt
AG
Awesome!
aggiec05
AG
Amazing work by your daughter there. Good bull Dad! Can't wait for my son to get his first this year. He passed on a lot last year. See if he is ready this year.

Now to get my daughter to even go to the lease with me, let alone do that!
WC87
AG
Great job dad!
SteveBott
AG
Great job dad. Solid spike and great shot. Raising them right.
Wodanaz
AG
Excellent and what a freaking wound!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Well done dad. And nice shooting kiddo!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
cavscout96
Skillet Shot
Only thing missing was the blood on the cheek!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Nice work!!
ironmanag
AG
Congrats that is so amazing!!
tandy miller
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not sure if that broadhead deployed all the way or not

Great job dad and kiddo!
mosdefn14
AG
CS78 said:

She's super proud of the shot she made.
As she should be! Good dad!
aggieland09
AG
Awesome!
Aggieangler93
AG
Great shot! Those memories will last forever!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SanAntoneAg
barnag
Raising em right!
John Cocktolstoy
Excellent!!!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
AggieAces06
AG
Great job!

As a female hunter I am so happy that you are teaching your girls! So many dads don't give their daughters a chance.
John Cocktolstoy
AggieAces06 said:

Great job!

As a female hunter I am so happy that you are teaching your girls! So many dads don't give their daughters a chance.
I can say the opposite also, give the dad's a shot girls and go take a weekend bonding with your father and give yourself something to compare to when you start dating...you will thank him many times over.
AggieAces06
AG
John Cocktolstoy said:

AggieAces06 said:

Great job!

I can say the opposite also, give the dad's a shot girls and go take a weekend bonding with your father and give yourself something to compare to when you start dating...you will thank him many times over.

My dad started taking me when I was about 7. My husband had only been hunting a few times before we met. Now he not only hunts with us, but helps with getting everything ready for the season with my brothers. We started taking our son when he was 3, and the boy absolutely loves going with us.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Started my daughter this year (she's 8 now) and she's hooked! Hope to have her shoot her first deer next year and then ducks when she is 12.
John Cocktolstoy
My daughter was such a great shot, and after a couple years she just started to say no. I never wanted to push her to shoot if she didn't want to, so it's me and the boy.
Texasyankee
Nice title.

Good job E!
B-1 83
WC87
AG
Whoops wrong thread lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.