Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shimano Spinning Reels

938 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ifishandlie
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This best designed reel of all time.

This was the gold standard in the 80s and 90s for wade fishing.

With that trigger design you could sight cast a long way off with with extreme accuracy.

The rear drag was key. It was easy to adjust incrementally while fighting a fish. It had clicks so you could make fine adjustment.

The reels held up well if you sprayed them off when you got back.

You could carry a spare spool of line with you and could change spools on the fly. It was a push button design so nothing to drop in the water.

They held a good amount of 10lb line. They were well balanced in your hand. The T on the handle was a good design. The reverse switch was in a good spot, The reels were fairly light.

They moved away from this design for some reason.
rab79
AG
The trigger wore out eventually
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The reels were durable generally, but you could mess one up easily by hitting it a certain way or dropping it on concrete.
strohag
AG
I've been fishing one of the Stradic Ci4 for last 8 years or so. Finally having a hard time finding replacement parts since they changed designs and now have switched to a new name. Spray them off and keep fishing. Would highly recommend. Expensive but I got a lot of years out of it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Are you saying you used the trigger to flip the bail and fire the line mid cast? I only ever used it pre-cast (reach index finger across, grab line and flip the ball and cast normally, just saved you the trouble of using the left hand to flip the bail)

If shimano doesn't want to build that design again Daiwa or someone should do it with modern materials/ bearings/coatings/seals. That would be sweet! Shimano probably still holds like 40 patents on that design though
EFE
AG
strohag said:

I've been fishing one of the Stradic Ci4 for last 8 years or so. Finally having a hard time finding replacement parts since they changed designs and now have switched to a new name. Spray them off and keep fishing. Would highly recommend. Expensive but I got a lot of years out of it.

I have a Stradic I bought back in 2008 that is still my go to. I think I paid like $175 for it. I have it serviced in the spring before the first trip of the summer, and will continue to do so until they can find parts for it.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I would rotate until the trigger was at the top. Reach down with index finger, position finger tip on line, flip the bail with the trigger, ine would slide off the bail and you could position the line on your finger the exact same way every cast. You could get pretty consistent and cast the same way every time doing this with one fluid motion. Thats what I liked most about it.
Ifishandlie
AG
The diawa saltist ( the blue reel) is really good. The drag is something like 18-22 pounds. I love those things. I do nothing but rinse them off and they last.

The reel has a big handle too. Lots of companies seem to moved away from that.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Its almost like they hired people that never fished in their life to redesign all fishing reels.

Now the reels are flashy, look like a transformer toy and work like ass.

Tried ordering off amazon but the were clearly chinese clone junk. I think real shimanos were japanese made.

If anybody got a legit source let me know.
Ifishandlie
AG
Thought the exact same thing. How can you put a tiny handle on a reel that regularly catches 5-15 pound fish?
Makes no sense. I assumed they did it to save money. I'm a big redfish guy so that small handle is a deal breaker for me. That and the drag. Not enough drag kills a reel in no time
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.