Outdoors
Sponsored by

String Trimmer/Brush Cutter

1,358 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by swampstander
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Battery on my Greenworks string trimmer is finally dying. But in reality it's no longer up to the job in my current house. On acreage now with a lot of natural brush that I need to keep trimmed back. Lots of 1/4-3/4 inch thick brush that pops up.

So, I need a string trimmer and some sort of brush cutter. Should I go with something like the Echo PAS system that has the changeable attachments or should I just get a more powerful gas trimmer and buy one of those blades to use when I need to cut the brush?

Would be nice to be able use a a shredder but a big area needing trimming is on a hill country rocky slope.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
Get a Stihl brush cutter. Comes with the string head for grass and pick up the blade for it. Best purchase I ever made to get everything I needed to. I got a deal on the commercial grade one with the bicycle handles which Im glad I got but you might not need that. Stihl has all the power and reliability youll ever need. I have mine 3 years and its awesome to use when that thick stuff grows up on your property.
AggieEE2002
AG
Stihl FS131
Furlock Bones
AG
That's the info I'm looking for.
MouthBQ98
AG
They make these things: https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment/Trimmer-Mowers/Walk-Behind-Trimmer-Mowers/DR-Trimmer-Mower/p/T4X1070DMN?gsa=true&ctm_id=T4X1070DMN&src=AW1BA80XE4163309&gclid=CjwKCAjw7rWKBhAtEiwAJ3CWLAbDLgIydAcHSRWQ8VoDtHH4ze2aSEKlY96QCkLHeHLUwNle9y5efRoC6U4QAvD_BwE
Furlock Bones
AG
Won't work on my rocky ass hillside. It's fairly steep.
AgEng98
Echo PAS with the biggest power head you can afford. I have the trimmer, edger, pole saw, hedge trimmer, and brush cutter. I got the smallest power head because I was being cheap and it runs everything but the saw and brush cutter really well. I wish I'd gotten the bigger head - it'd be perfect at that point.
aggiejumper
AG
Yep, get this and try several blades out. They're cutting machines.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is what I'm dealing with as far as the slope.

TikkaShooter
You planning to keep it wild/native?

Could always pay to play and get that terraced with some big limestone blocks to create 3-4 flat terraces for planting/x-scaping
Furlock Bones
AG
TikkaShooter said:

You planning to keep it wild/native?

Could always pay to play and get that terraced with some big limestone blocks to create 3-4 flat terraces for planting/x-scaping

If I do that, it's years down the road.
chris1515
AG
I asked a similar question a while back, still haven't made a purchase…

How do the battery powered trimmers work with a brush blade?
aggiejumper
AG
They don't work.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Furlock Bones said:

This is what I'm dealing with as far as the slope.

I don't envy anyone having to trim that large an area several times a year with a hand-held brush cutter, no matter how powerful it might be.

Is the primarily limitation for not using a tractor the slope or the rocks? If the former, you can do some things to lower the center of gravity like the guys who mow the TxDOT ROW's do on the bridge embankments.

If the latter, you'll ruin your equipment running over large rocks like that, unless you pay a guy to come in first with that neat mulcher-style skid-steer attachment that actually pulverizes the rocks in place.

Regardless - Nice view you've got there.
aggiejumper
AG
He can hire a skid steer rock crusher. Those machines could do an amazing job on that hillside.
Furlock Bones
AG
it's the rocks. there are some big ones in there.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
aggiejumper said:

He can hire a skid steer rock crusher. Those machines could do an amazing job on that hillside.
That's what I was thinking.

Depending on the machine, I've seen maximum rock size capacities between 10" and 14". Furlock said he had some big rocks, though. And, I'll bet not all rocks are created equal either.

I can't even imagine the maintenance costs on a machine like that, but I see Pierce is quoting $2,500 for an 8-hour day to bring one out and work it on 1.5 - 2 acres.

I've know I've paid more than that for a hydroax working on trees.
chris1515
AG
Has no one on here complimented the OP on that view? That's awesome.

The pic looks like a lot of weeds. I'd look into spraying the weeds in the spring and try to get a solid stand of native grass and not mess with mowing.

Off the wall idea, in the early spring do a very highly controlled burn…or bring in some goats to get it trimmed back?
MouthBQ98
AG
Controlled burn a bit at a time will clear it but it'll be ugly for a while.
swampstander
AG
chris1515 said:

Has no one on here complimented the OP on that view? That's awesome.

The pic looks like a lot of weeds. I'd look into spraying the weeds in the spring and try to get a solid stand of native grass and not mess with mowing.

Off the wall idea, in the early spring do a very highly controlled burn…or bring in some goats to get it trimmed back?
This. I would spray woody growth 3-4 times a year with triclopyr.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.