Outdoors
Sponsored by

Is Tru Green worth it!

3,699 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oldag00
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Rockport yard needs HELP!! I am giving up trying to do this myself. Tried the Aggie owned ABC in the past and it was beyond a joke (except the only ones laughing are ABC). I see some GLOWING reviews on Tru Green and some horror stories. Anyone have any info they would share? Anyone, Anyone?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Apache
AG
My two anecdotal experiences with True Green:

1. My client didn't adjust their irrigation when it got hot. Yard turned brown, True Green thought it was bugs & treated heavily. Grass continued to go downhill. Their tech (a yard "professional") couldn't tell the difference between dry grass and insect damage.

2. Another client had a monthly service with tru green, clients forgot to tell True Green to pause service when we re-did the lawn. True green tech hit freshly laid sod (installed 2-3 days prior! Sod pieces still visible!) with high nitro fertilizer & promptly killed half of it.
At least they were honest about it & paid for me to remove the dead & replace.

The quality of the company is moot when you are dealing with a singular individual making judgements on your lawn. A big company like True Green will likely have a revolving door of hourly techs treating your lawn. Your mileage will vary depending upon the individual.

Mark Fairchild
AG
Apache: Thank You, kinda what I was thinking after reading some on line reviews, but Hope springs eternal, my lawn is beginning to look BAD! Too old and it is Too Hot here for me to do much of anything except hire it done.
mosdefn14
AG
Hire a local. Someone who cares about gaining or losing your business. And who knows what the heck they're doing.

ETA: ABC is Aggie owned, but they might as well be as big as True Green. Buy someone's route & service it. Get licenses to buy Electrical & plumbing companies. Do Christmas lights. Expand into multiple states. Not a local, hands-on owner/operator.
drred4
I do not use anyone but Groundworks seems to do a good job on commercial places. I am sure they probably do individuals as well.

sorry they are in BCS only nevermmind
Apache
AG
Post some pics of your lawn.

I (along with all the other OB turf/landscape professionals & assorted know it alls) will give you some info on what you have & how to make it better.

At least then you can grill your potential lawn care provider with a few questions to separate the wheat from the chaff.

DargelSkout
AG
DO NOT USE TRUGREEN!! That company is terrible. I'm in the turfgrass industry and I've heard so many terrible things from my customers that used them. Here's a few highlights:

1. They sprayed some athletic fields, but never put the chemicals in the tank. Customer pointed it out and the guy just drove off.

2. Told my customer they had a weed that was brought in from birds. It was actually a common Bermuda grass field and it was the seed heads from not mowing for a week.

3. Sprayed another field and killed it.

DargelSkout
AG
What services are you needing? Mowing, fertilizing, weed and ant control?
AggieMPH2005
I've been happy with them except for the constant upselling. My weeds are under control and my grass is happy enough. I am not looking to win yard of the month awards though. Just wanted to not have the worst lawn on the block.
Ragoo
AG
My neighbors use true green. We both have Bermuda. They have nutsedge and weeds all over. I sprayed Image for nutsedge twice. I spray ortho in the spring for other various weeds. My yard looks much much better.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Can you post a few pictures? Law care is very easy to diy.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
AggieGunslinger
AG
I worked for TruGreen out of college, not the chemical side but the commercial maintenance side doing sales, We weren't interested in your business unless the contract was at least $10k a year, even then we had to get approval.

I did however work with the chemical guys when bidding large scale project and learned that a huge portion or their workforce is season, i.e. all/most of the residential applicators. They train them in March, fire them in August/September. If your home is lucky enough the get one of the guys that handles the $100k commercial accounts, you will probably get a good return on your money, but that chance is slim. Good luck with the seasonal guys that come back with half their 100gal spray tank still full after treating 30 yards that day.

Honestly with a minimal effort you can get the same results by asking questions here and not shopping at a box box store.
Gilligan
AG
I guess I'm the anomaly. TruGreen has been good for me, but my account manager is an old salt and seems to know his stuff. Managed our properties well.

I just dropped them two weeks ago just to save a few bucks. I will be looking to Apache for tips!
mwlkr
AG
As you can see by previous post, TruGreen is a rip-off. My experience concurs.
DargelSkout
AG
Mark, I've got a house in Rockport too. I don't mind stopping by and giving some free advice to a fellow Ag.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks Dargel: shot me a text at 432-230-7170 when you are in town!
Old Sarge
AG
We had one of the last Tru Green franchises in Texas (most all are "company" based now) for years. Yard was weed free, and lush green (St. Augustine). Did not do their "contract" either. Just a call for the time of year if needed. Our tech knew his stuff and did well with the appropriate application.

Then the franchisee of a couple decades just quit. No notice, no nothing. Round and round with Tru Green as they had no "company" business to cover our area and their franchisee left about 200 accounts hanging. They actually recommended a competitor from a neighboring town (Scott's, 1.25 hours away) that had started covering our area. Scott's was doing a good job for the first year, then the service became inconsistent quickly, and finally quit communicating. Only to find out TruGreen bought Scott's, and they quit coming, because they did not have any "company" locations to cover our area. They bought the competitor THEY recommended to all of us, and then cut service to the area.

Their products were great, the local tech that got hung without a job was good, but the company sucks dog rockets in general.
MemphisAg1
AG
I fired TruGreen several years ago. They treated my yard with something that almost killed my oak trees.

They're way more interested in selling you something than delivering a quality service.

Agree with the recommendation to find someone local who is competent and wants your business.
JSKolache
AG
Very easy and cheap to DIY. Check home improvement forum, literally hundreds of lawn threads. Boils down to: follow Randy Lemmon schedule in Houston/STX or Neil Sperry in Dallas/NTX. You can buy the chems at hardware stores or order online. Figure $40ish bucks x 3 applications a year.
AgPops
Try Weed Man in Corpus Christi, much better than tru green.
AgLaw94
AG
I've actually had the opposite experience of some of you. Had to fire the local that wasn't paying any attention to our yard. TruGreen came in and did a great job. Looks better than it has in years.
Bazooka Joe
AG
My experience with Tru Green is they'll continue to treat your yard and bill you after their service has been terminated. I used them twice and end long the service got ugly both times. The second time I used them was the last.

I'd recommend Randy Lemmon's fertilization schedule if you live in the Houston area. My yard has never been healthier.
“The problem with the internet is that one can never trust the accuracy of a quote.” – Abraham Lincoln
bodaciousbood14
AG
JSKolache said:

Very easy and cheap to DIY. Check home improvement forum, literally hundreds of lawn threads. Boils down to: follow Randy Lemmon schedule in Houston/STX or Neil Sperry in Dallas/NTX. You can buy the chems at hardware stores or order online. Figure $40ish bucks x 3 applications a year.
Where would Austin fall?
oldag00
AG
bodaciousbood14 said:

JSKolache said:

Where would Austin fall?
And B/CS?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.