Outdoors
Sponsored by

CWD has come to a county near you

12,545 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TPWD has posted some really terrible looking maps following the trace-outs of deer exposed to CWD and then transported/released around the state by breeders. TPWD is reportedly going to request additional emergency measures from the TPW Commission, but based on these maps, I would say they are closing the barn door behind the problem... This problem was brought to your by your local deer breeder. Be sure to thank them and include them on your Christmas card list.

Zjones920
Am I reading this chart right. 290 deer from 2 places in hunt county?
FC12
McCulloch county has its shield up!
cupofjoe04
AG
Coryell county is being surrounded.
txags92
AG
Zjones920 said:

Am I reading this chart right. 290 deer from 2 places in hunt county?
Yes, there was at least 1 breeder there that received deer from other breeding operations, and then sent potentially infected deer to other breeders or release sites. This whole things is a mess...
Trolley Problems
99 in Blanco County. **** me.
CS78
Absolutely ridiculous that the state didn't nip this in the bud. Follow the money!
mosdefn14
AG
Meanwhile, those who did their breeding & management operation the "right" way over decades can't afford to compete
rock08
AG
99 at one property. Hopefully it's high fenced and they can eliminate that crap quick.
K_P
AG
Glad we seem to be in agreement….

spreading disease in a public resource is not one of our rights as property owners
powerbelly
AG
I am glad our property owner doesn't allow bringing in deer.
Trolley Problems
rock08 said:

99 at one property. Hopefully it's high fenced and they can eliminate that crap quick.

Yeah missed that first graphic on mobile. I have to think you're right. Any place that's bringing in those kinds of numbers is trying hard to supplement local genetics with lots of $$ and would likely be high-fenced. I hope so anyway.
Post removed:
by user
txags92
AG
jayelbee said:

I'd encourage you all to listen to the public comment session from the August TPWD commission meeting, since the transcript isn't available. I don't know where the CWD stuff was on it, but I think around 1:45 into the commission meeting, immediately after the coastal issues stuff for oystering and reefing.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/multimedia/media/commission_20210825/20210825_com_00_public_hearing.mp3

There were a lot of breeders in Austin last month that would have you believe the CWD threat to Texas deer comes from New Mexico and is only located in the panhandle. In fact, the breeders have everything under control.
Man, it is amazing how those infected deer from New Mexico make it all the way across the state to places like Hunt County and Lavaca County, only to end up trapped on a breeder's place when they got sick.
AstroAggie15
AG
jayelbee said:

I'd encourage you all to listen to the public comment session from the August TPWD commission meeting, since the transcript isn't available. I don't know where the CWD stuff was on it, but I think around 1:45 into the commission meeting, immediately after the coastal issues stuff for oystering and reefing.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/multimedia/media/commission_20210825/20210825_com_00_public_hearing.mp3

There were a lot of breeders in Austin last month that would have you believe the CWD threat to Texas deer comes from New Mexico and is only located in the panhandle. In fact, the breeders have everything under control.

Horse ****
Aggieangler93
AG
Yep. And they didn't leave a trace of a single infected deer all the way through West Texas or the panhandle. Man....how incredible.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
txags92
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Yep. And they didn't leave a trace of a single infected deer all tge way through West Texas or the panhandle. Man....how incredible.
They left plenty of traces along the way...but somehow they were all at other breeding facilities.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Nothing in Edwards? Pleasantly surprising.
Aggieangler93
rab79
AG
Got my county...
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
college of AG
AG
Does anyone know why some county risk is high with a 1 but other county risk is low with 10 or more deer?
txags92
AG
college of AG said:

Does anyone know why some county risk is high with a 1 but other county risk is low with 10 or more deer?
I am not sure. It may involve how long or close the exposed animal's contact was with the deer that tested positive, or it may involve what kind of facility the animal was released at (another breeder, high fence/low fence, private property, etc.) and whether they were able to verify that it was still there and in good health or tested. I know that TPWD put alot of time and manpower into the "trace-out" process to track all of the deer that were exposed at the facilities involved in the latest rounds of positive tests. So I am sure they have some basis for it.

A big part of the problem with tracing out these deer is that once they are released, unless they are tagged in some way it becomes very difficult to track and/or recapture them if testing is needed. Big trophy hunters tend to shy away from spending alot of money shooting deer with ear tags I guess... I believe that one of the emergency measures TPWD may be considering is a requirement to visibly mark or tag any breeder deer released on a property so that they can be readily identified in the future.

One of the lines you will hear from breeders and others in the trophy industry in the coming days is "well this is just 'exposed' deer, show me the positive tests". Since most of the released deer cannot be easily identified or recaptured, we generally won't get testing data unless the exposure at a site is bad enough that they decide to cull the entire herd for testing. Otherwise, it may be years before the disease actually shows up in an animal that was exposed, and who knows how many other animals they will expose before then.
aggiec05
AG
Schlecher (where our lease is) is surrounded. Willing to be its there as well, but no testing is happening yet.
rab79
AG
aggiec05 said:

Schlecher (where our lease is) is surrounded. Willing to be its there as well, but no testing is happening yet.
Schleicher had 11 exposed releases according to the map.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
rab79
AG
And here is what the breeders are selling...

NO AMNESTY!

college of AG
AG
Thank you for the explanation. I just can't believe we aren't doing a better job with this.
Sea Speed
AG
That deer looks ****ing stupid
rab79
AG
Sea Speed said:

That deer looks ****ing stupid
cartoonish, in fact.
NO AMNESTY!

Sea Speed
AG
Id be embarrassed to put something like that on the wall.
lazuras_dc
AG
Time for TPWD mask mandates on our cervid population
96ags
AG
Cervids are actually testing positive for COVID at fairly high rates
AstroAggie15
AG
rab79 said:

And here is what the breeders are selling...

That deer is a direct result of TPWD not cracking down on people being able to trap, breed, & sell wild game
GMaster0
Smells of great greed, screwing things up for the future of others.
Post removed:
by user
S.A. Aggie
AG
K_P said:

Glad we seem to be in agreement….

spreading disease in a public resource is not one of our rights as property owners

I'll have to admit that my opinion on "deer farming " is changing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.