Outdoors
Sponsored by

Copperhead deterrent

5,177 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Fightin TX Aggie
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What about using shock collars to teach dogs to back away from all snakes? I am not sure of the feasibility of what you would use to substitute for a snake oh or if you could just use a non-venomous snake, but copperheads tend to be very slow and freeze in position whereas nonvenomous snakes I've seen tend to move fast so unless you put them in an enclosed area I don't know how you would do the training.
AzAg80
AG
There are rattlesnake training classes for dogs. The snakes are defanged, and they use a shock collar on the dog. Teaches them to avoid based on scent and on the rattle. Was very effective on my dog based on subsequent encounters with rattlers. Not sure if they have copperhead avoidance classes but might be worth checking into.
JP76
My Hispanic friends swear by putting garlic all over the yard

Every copper head I've ever killed was either under wood, metal or close to wood or a brush pile

Decay
AG
JP76 said:

My Hispanic friends swear by putting garlic all over the yard

Every copper head I've ever killed was either under wood, metal or close to wood or a brush pile

You'll just end up with garlic flavored snake
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Guinea fowl.

These things don't do as much as everyone claims in my experience. I have a pic somewhere of my flock of guineas staring at a rat snake and eating grass seed around it. Really what they do, along with chickens, is keep things stirred up. They are in and amongst bushes and grass and such which keeps snakes away. You just have to be ready to accept the new problem you will have which is, well, chickens and guineas. Lol. These GD things are into everything. **** on your porch. **** on your picnic table. Eating your garden. **** on your Blackstone. **** everywhere. Your days of barefoot walking outside are generally over. Hahahaha

Both myself and my daughter have been bitten on the feet by copperheads. I'm honestly not sure which I like less…chickens eating my tomatoes or the snake bite.
nortex97
AG
No one has suggested 12 gauge?
ChampsAg
I put one in each corner of the backyard and space out a couple in the front yard. We are on about an acre. I put one in the front flower bed because my wife HATES snakes.

I probably over cover the yard but with the wife working outside and the kids playing outside, I err on the side of caution.
aggieland09
AG
I didn't see it posted but outside cats kill rodents and snakes as well.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
This is a great post. I'm assuming the guineas have also eaten up the ticks?

Did you teach them to coop, and do you harvest eggs?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.