Outdoors
Sponsored by

Houston elk hunter killed in CO

4,986 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gunny456
water turkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://cbsaustin.com/newsletter-daily/texas-man-dies-after-hunter-mistakes-him-for-an-elk
Sully Dog
How ****ing incompetent do you have to be?
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Sully Dog
Also, why the **** does california have black powder and bow seasons overlapping. This just seems like it's asking for this type of accident.
TarponChaser
Man that sucks. I didn't know the guy but evidently had several friends in common because some friends posted the GoFundMe for his family. I hope those yokels who killed him have the book thrown at them.
cupofjoe04
AG
Sully Dog said:

Also, why the **** does california have black powder and bow seasons overlapping. This just seems like it's asking for this type of accident.

This happened in Colorado, not California. This actually happened about 70 miles from me. If you are archery elk hunting in CO, there are lots of people with firearms in the woods with you- that is something you need to understand. Grouse hunters with shotguns, bear hunters with rifles, and elk/deer hunters with muzzloaders are very common. Less common are the sheep, mountain goat, and moose hunters with rifles- but they are out there too.

IMHO, it's not the overlapping seasons that made this a problem- it's the fact that Orange isn't required by bow hunters, even when muzzloader season is happening. A bow hunter should have orange on if they are sneaking into a calling bull during muzzloader season. Especially if you haven't seen the bull yet.

I'm not saying this incident was the bow hunters fault, but you gotta know sneaking around the woods in dark clothes on public lands, while any Tom/Dick/Harry could be out there with a firearm looking for a deer, elk, or bear… that comes with risks. Orange helps mitigate those risks, and I'm not convinced that orange bothers the elk at all. An orange camo hat can save your life (I believe orange camo is not legal for firearms, but it would be legal for a bow hunter where no orange is required).

That being said- this is 1,000,000% on the person who pulled the trigger. You have to be able to clearly identify your target. No excuses for this at all that I can imagine.
14TheRoad
AG
This is terrifying. Felt really vulnerable last year processing and packing out a couple of elk in Colorado. While I had a blaze orange hat on I stripped off my pack and jacket which both have orange on them because I was sweating so much. For this year I picked up a blaze orange light fleece that I can wear while processing and packing meat.
Sully Dog
Yeah, that's what I meant. My general anger level at California sometimes takes over.
Sully Dog
cupofjoe04 said:

Sully Dog said:

If you are archery elk hunting in CO, there are lots of people with firearms in the woods with you- that is something you need to understand. Grouse hunters with shotguns, bear hunters with rifles, and elk/deer hunters with muzzloaders are very common. Less common are the sheep, mountain goat, and moose hunters with rifles- but they are out there too.

I get what you are saying, and there should be some onus on the archery hunters, but the states that I hunt in don't overlap rifle and archery times exactly for this reason.
DayAg!
S
Did a lot of squirrel hunting during deer season and it was mandatory to wear orange when you went outside at the hunting area, even if it was just to take the trash out. I know it flies in the face of our freedoms but some people are too stupid to go hunting.
O.G.
Sully Dog said:

How ****ing incompetent do you have to be?
Having guided before, believe me, this is on par for a lot of "hunters".
jrrhouston98
AG
Greg's sister is one of my wife's dearest friends. I learned about this early Saturday morning. The family is devastated, but have heard it was most likely instant death so he didn't know what hit him. They take solace in knowing he didn't suffer. Please keep them in your prayers.
cupofjoe04
AG
Sully Dog said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Sully Dog said:

If you are archery elk hunting in CO, there are lots of people with firearms in the woods with you- that is something you need to understand. Grouse hunters with shotguns, bear hunters with rifles, and elk/deer hunters with muzzloaders are very common. Less common are the sheep, mountain goat, and moose hunters with rifles- but they are out there too.

I get what you are saying, and there should be some onious on the archery hunters, but the states that I hunt in don't overlap rifle and archery times exactly for this reason.

Absolutely, with you 100. I wish CO would change. I feel they should not overlap them, or require blaze orange on anyone hunting public lands during muzzleloader or rifle seasons.

I guess I'm encouraging other archery hunters to go above and beyond the law- as the CO laws don't seem to protect us enough as written.
cupofjoe04
AG
I remember your post from this weekend. Praying for the family for sure. How are you and your wife holding up? I know this stuff can have an effect, even if you weren't particularly close personally.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Who the hell shoots 'at something' with a black powder rifle.

You figure that if you are hunting black powder you'd be advanced enough to where you wouldn't get excited and shoot at anything that moved.

I thought the whole idea of black powder was that you only had one shot, and you had to pick your shot and use precision to get a clean kill.

And this dude just blasting anything that moves? Wtf?!
HumbleAg04
AG
67 year old idiot.
Skillet Shot
Heard the guy went to Kingwood, very sad and tragic incident.

This is one of the reasons I very rarely venture out onto public land and thank God we have family land I can hunt.
jrrhouston98
AG
We are doing well. My wife was a wreck for a couple of days, as she was really having a hard time since she is so close to his sister. The hardest part is the sister lives in Taipei and had to travel back here alone. Even worse, when she returns to Taipei she will have to quarantine alone for 2 weeks. The separation from her husband and 2 young kids is hard enough, but throw this in there and it's devastating. I can't imagine grieving alone without my wife by my side.
The family will receive his body this weekend, and services are planned for Monday and Tuesday. And yes, he is from kingwood. He was just married a couple of years ago, but fortunately for the widow there are no kids.
duddleysdraw88
AG
You're a total dumbash if you pull a trigger without 100% identifying your target!

It's not a bad idea to throw orange on your elk antlers while you are field dressing it. Because you just never know!
Sully Dog
I'm sure we will all be praying for her.
El Chupacabra
HumbleAg04 said:

67 year old idiot.
Hope they throw the book at that dumbass old Fudd.
Central Committee
AG
I have never understood mistaking a human being for a deer/elk.

It is one thing for a stray bullet to miss the target and accidentally hit someone down range, but how in the hell do you mistake a person for an elk???
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
TarponChaser
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Who the hell shoots 'at something' with a black powder rifle.

You figure that if you are hunting black powder you'd be advanced enough to where you wouldn't get excited and shoot at anything that moved.

I thought the whole idea of black powder was that you only had one shot, and you had to pick your shot and use precision to get a clean kill.

And this dude just blasting anything that moves? Wtf?!
You'd be surprised.

I get that it's different but I used to be on an East Texas "club" lease. There were lots of older dudes who used every bit of vacation they had to hunt every single possible day regardless of method. These were guys who used crossbows during bow season and black powder as well. Just so they could hunt more days.

I won't say that all of them would be like the dumbass here who killed the guy but a couple of them sure would.
JSKolache
AG
Central Committee said:

I have never understood mistaking a human being for a deer/elk.

It is one thing for a stray bullet to miss the target and accidentally hit someone down range, but how in the hell do you mistake a person for an elk???
Prolly didn't see him at all. Shooter is just working his elk call trying to bring in a animal close, hears some movement nearby, gets excited, gets jumpy, and bam. It happens occasionally with turkey hunters on public land as well - calling in "turkeys" that actually turn out to be other dudes who were trying to call in turkeys.

Incidents like this is why hunter safety courses became mandatory, but some people clearly still don't identify their targets first.

Re: blackpowder "technical" technical shooter comments above ... I have a different take. Blackpowder rifles are not FFL firearms & there is absolutely a niche market for them (and archery) by categories of folks who can't own true firearms. I'm not implying the shooter here was a prohibited person, just providing counterpoint that blackpowder shooters are inherently talented marksmen. I bet a lot of them are, but there's also plenty of amateurs with smokepoles.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Sad. It's really mind boggling how one can mistake a human for an Elk, unless you've literally never seen an Elk in real life before. The size difference is not even in the same stratosphere.

Mistaken for a Deer, maybe...but an ELK. WTF. Trigger happy hunter needs to own up and be held accountable for not identifying his target first. So sad.
Gunny456
AG
Age does not have anything to do with it. During our 28 years of doing hunts on our ranch I had two instances of hunters damn near killing my wife and myself from supposedly "unloaded rifles" both were "superman hunting and rifle experts" with egos the size of Texas....one was 25 and the other was 29. They were smarter than anybody according to them. Just plain dumb mistakes.
cupofjoe04
AG
Gunny456 said:

Age does not have anything to do with it. During our 28 years of doing hunts on our ranch I had two instances of hunters damn near killing my wife and myself from supposedly "unloaded rifles" both were "superman hunting and rifle experts" with egos the size of Texas....one was 25 and the other was 29. They were smarter than anybody according to them. Just plain dumb mistakes.

This x 1000. Ego, arrogance, ineptitude. Those are the problems.
Gunny456
AG
Yes sir.
WillieBrownsBratwurstBun
AG
There is absolutely no reason for this to ever happen and the shooter's excuse is 100% CYA. They probably were both calling back and forth to each other but you NEVER, EVER shoot at anything you cannot fully identify.

In my opinion the legal ramification for this murderer is far too lenient. He negligently killed a man. A human bears no resemblance to an elk. And I haven't read what tag this individual had but if it was a bull only tag he should get life in prison because not only do you have to identify the animal but you also have to ensure the antlers meet the restrictions.
AgEng06
AG
WillieBrownsBratwurstBun said:

There is absolutely no reason for this to ever happen and the shooter's excuse is 100% CYA. They probably were both calling back and forth to each other but you NEVER, EVER shoot at anything you cannot fully identify.

In my opinion the legal ramification for this murderer is far too lenient. He negligently killed a man. A human bears no resemblance to an elk. And I haven't read what tag this individual had but if it was a bull only tag he should get life in prison because not only do you have to identify the animal but you also have to ensure the antlers meet the restrictions.

Even if he had an either sex tag, I believe the area he was in still has antler restrictions for a bull... therefore he still needed to fully identify the animal.
S.A. Aggie
AG
14TheRoad said:

This is terrifying. Felt really vulnerable last year processing and packing out a couple of elk in Colorado. While I had a blaze orange hat on I stripped off my pack and jacket which both have orange on them because I was sweating so much. For this year I picked up a blaze orange light fleece that I can wear while processing and packing meat.

If you're packing out meat every year I need to go hunting with you!
Gunny456
AG
Being involved in law enforcement for over 50 years I have seen lots of sad "accidents". I have witnessed lots of dead folks due to the negligence of someone. In most of those instances not only were lives ruined of the victim and their families but also of the lives of the person making the mistake and their families as well. This man will have to live with this forever and his life is over as he knew it due to one bad mistake.
By comparison, the majority of the deaths I have seen or experienced have been traffic fatalities caused by negligence, with a very large number of those caused by cell phone usage and texting. With a few exceptions noted, most of those people get off very light in punishment.
I agree fully with your post and this incident, while being very tragic, is actually pretty rare considering the number of hunters and shooters in the field at any given moment. Whereas we will experience, on the average in Texas, about 600 traffic deaths this year strictly due to texting while driving. One is just as negligent as the other and punishment should be equally as harsh for both.
We should pray for both the victim and his family as well as the man who committed this incident and his family.
F4GIB71
My senior year at A&M, I worked part time in the college of Architecture (Building Construction, now called Construction Sciences major). I got to drink coffee in the faculty lounge with my profs. I remember one talking about him going deer hunting. That night, the hunters were sitting around talking about how their days went. He said two Yankees were talking and one said that he didn't see anything but got "one sound shot and two movement shots". Sadly, this is probably not limited to Yankees.
blackgoldag11
AG
Greg was an awesome guy and I was actually with him for lunch a week before this incident happened. He was so excited about this trip as it was the first time he had drawn an archery tag. He was preparing for months prior for this hunt for success and I know many at the company he worked and those in our industry who knew him are devastated this happened to such an awesome guy. Just can't believe that someone could mistake a person for an elk and I hope his wife and family are able to cope with the loss of Greg.
cupofjoe04
AG
This is great perspective- thanks for sharing.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be punished for negligence like this. But, I think, in the case of true unintentional negligence, I don't think there is anything we can do to them more than they already are going to suffer with this for the rest of their lives.
chet98
AG
F4GIB71 said:

"one sound shot and two movement shots"
Holy **** that's a scary thing to hear someone say!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.