Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recommendation for OTC RED ant killer

1,866 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cromagnum
clarythedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My deer lease has numerous Red ant mounds (not fire ants) that we would like to get rid of that are in our camper and barn area. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a killer that I can get at a Lowes/HD/hardware store that will kill the mound? I am thinking that a good dose of Seven dust on each mound might do the job, but not sure if that will kill the mound or not. Thanks for any advice on this, its greatly appreciated.
txyaloo
AG
You can get Bifen granules at Tractor Supply that will kill them. It's called Wisdom.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wisdom-lawn-granular
OnlyForNow
AG
I know termidor kills leaf cutter ants. I think a granular broadcast will kill red ants.

Although their native ants… so hate to kill em but understand you want then gone from your camp site.
Log
AG
Why? Red Harvester ants are non-aggressive and seed eaters. Plus they are native, and food for what few horned lizards are left.

We've got colonies on my family's farm that are probably hundreds of years old. All of them are interconnected as well, so if you kill one mound, you may end up wiping them all out. There are 6-7 mounds that are a hundred yards apart or so just out back of our house, and you can clearly see the pathways they travel between mounds, especially during the dry and hot parts of the summer when the vegetation dries up.
Whitetail
AG
Side story...We put in a pool in our back yard. The deep end was located precisely where a large red ant mound was. Pool company dug ~7ft deep...next day the little booger's mound looked like it was the day before but -7ft elevation. I'm now curious how deep the mounds go...It must be a lot deeper than our pool.
txyaloo
AG
Log said:

Why? Red Harvester ants are non-aggressive and seed eaters. Plus they are native, and food for what few horned lizards are left.

We've got colonies on my family's farm that are probably hundreds of years old. All of them are interconnected as well, so if you kill one mound, you may end up wiping them all out. There are 6-7 mounds that are a hundred yards apart or so just out back of our house, and you can clearly see the pathways they travel between mounds, especially during the dry and hot parts of the summer when the vegetation dries up.
Same. I just leave them alone even in the yard. They've really made a resurgence around here the last few years. Hope some day the horned toads make it back to my part of the state. 30yrs ago they were everywhere here.
txrancher69
AG
When they show up in my yard or hay fields I use Amdro (Tractor Supply or Wal Mart). It does a good job, although you need to check after a week or so. Sometimes there are a few survivors that need a second dose,
CowtownJD
Man I just used the Orthene powder for fire ants and it killed the hell out of them at our lease. Got it at Home Depot.

Extremely effective and only need a very small amount.
BlueSmoke
Log said:

Why? Red Harvester ants are non-aggressive
They DO NOT like lady fingers and black cat firecrackers. Ask me how I know, and how I got my ass chewed out (of many times) as a kid....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
BlueSmoke
CowtownJD said:

Man I just used the Orthene powder for fire ants and it killed the hell out of them at our lease. Got it at Home Depot.

Smells like death, but works well.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Apache
AG
When I was a kid we had a red ant mound next to the house. I'd gather seeds off the native grass & put in a pile nearby just to watch them work.

Good food for quail as well. Another vote to leave them be.
B-1 83
AG
Amdro is labeled for them. Works well.
EskimoJoe
A magnifying glass always worked. How many kids can you round up
clarythedrill
Log said:

In our camper area, which is fenced in and contains seven campers, there are at least 10 large red ant mounds. We have small kids and dogs out there at times and they can not do much outside due to them eventually getting on them and causing trouble. On the lease there are probably thousands of large red ant mounds that are thriving, so killing the relatively few in our hang out area will not put the slightest dent in the population around there and makes life much better for the little ones and the puppers.
clarythedrill
CowtownJD said:

I use that for fire ants. It works great but does stink to high heaven.
chris1515
AG
Extinguish brand poison.

Put 2-3 heaping spoonfuls on each bed.

We had a hay field that was overrun by them. I bet I killed 100+ beds using that approach.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
A pear burner is always fun!
txyaloo
AG
Apache said:

When I was a kid we had a red ant mound next to the house. I'd gather seeds off the native grass & put in a pile nearby just to watch them work.

Good food for quail as well. Another vote to leave them be.
I've noticed quail have come back over the last 10-15 years on our place as the red ants resurged. Pretty cool to watch nature recover.
Caladan
If you are by now still wanting to kill them, and are willing to use Amazon and have something shipped to you, then you might try Demand CS. Spray over and around the mound, and down their trails. I've used it to good effect on leaf-cutter ants.

You could also add in an insect growth regulator too, especially if you are going to also spray around the house.

C
O.G.
Let'em Walk.
Bird Poo
AG
I heard a rumor that native Americans would dig up the mounds for seeds. Is that true?
Antman92
AG
Amdro all day long. Kills them in 7 days or less and is registered to use on them in rangeland.
Antman92
tlepoC
AG
Leave them. We have so many at our property that I reached out trying to get horny toads as a refuge. For something so endangered, the conservation organizations really aren't trying to help them proliferate. "Illegal"
chris1515
AG
PearlJammin said:

I heard a rumor that native Americans would dig up the mounds for seeds. Is that true?

Thinking of the tools they would have had available, I'm not sure how they could accomplish that without being stung many times. With these ants, not worth it,
Tx-Ag2010
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Log said:

Why? Red Harvester ants are non-aggressive
They DO NOT like lady fingers and black cat firecrackers. Ask me how I know, and how I got my ass chewed out (of many times) as a kid....

The holes on their mounds were just too tempting... just had to be quick if you were lighting a grey fused black cat. Looking back I'm surprised we made it through childhood with all our fingers and vision in tact.
1991sir
We buy Surrender at our local feed store. Works great for us.
clarythedrill
I used the Ortho Orthene type, brown bottle with a yellow lid. I doctored 12 mounts Friday evening, and it took care of them nicely.
Cromagnum
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.