Outdoors
Sponsored by

Concealed Carry

2,720 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MyNameIsJeff
G.W_Busch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!
So, I've had my CHL for a little over a year, and wanted to see if anyone had a specific caliber or style they enjoyed for their first concealed carry. Also, where's the best place to purchase if I'm wanting a used one? Thanks.
TxAgPreacher
S
9mm. Something high quality without a manual safety. Glock, Sig, Springfield, ect... something that when you pull the trigger it goes bang every time.

Best advice I've heard is get something that isn't too big for you, so that you'll carry every day.

As for used... good luck.
agsalaska
AG
Ruger LCR in .327 Federal. Load it with .32 mags.
MisterShipWreck
I have owned 3 digits of guns in the last 30 years... My advice... Go to a range and rent some guns. Locally in BCS, Champion only charges $5 for each gun rented.

Otherwise, you will just end up with someone elses favorite gun. And, you may not like it. How it feels in the hands does not always translate into how it shoots.
gibberish
AG
I am medium sized build 5'9" 165lb so my favorite is a either a S&W 642 or 351C, and the Phlster enigma has opened up more options to me like the G19 or G48 with HS 507K.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Shield 9mm in a belly band works best for me (wear a lot of golf shorts and golf shirts). Mine does have a safety. I always practice every magazine dump with an engaged safety. Hopefully have some muscle memory built up, god forbid I ever need it. Good luck, get in the groove of putting your holster on every time you put your wallet and keys in your pocket. Hopefully you'll end up with a drawer less full of holsters that you bought and didn't like, than I do…..
harge57
AG
Get the smallest one you are comfortable with. Recommend a single stack 9mm like the ruger lc9. There are a lot of good options in that size now.

I have carried for about 10 years and carried a p2000sk for a long time but only when I had a good belt.

I carry my ruger lcp in 380 twice as much as anything else now since it is so much easier to carry and I can carry it in workout clothes or pocket carry.
SMM48
AG
G43 was my starter. G19 now.

And you have an LTC op. Which means you can conceal or open carry. You don't have to worry about printing from a legal/conceal point of view. That is different than concealing so don't let people know you are carrying point of view.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
I've been carrying for over a decade now, and have tried a bunch of different pistols. All of them I liked for one reason or another, most of them I stopped CCing them for one reason or another. Try anything you can get your hands on, see what you like, then see what fits you where. As long as it's minimum .380acp, you'll be fine.
Bob Lee
AG
08N.Ftw.Ag said:

Shield 9mm in a belly band works best for me (wear a lot of golf shorts and golf shirts). Mine does have a safety. I always practice every magazine dump with an engaged safety. Hopefully have some muscle memory built up, god forbid I ever need it. Good luck, get in the groove of putting your holster on every time you put your wallet and keys in your pocket. Hopefully you'll end up with a drawer less full of holsters that you bought and didn't like, than I do…..

I like that combo. I carry a HK P30 SK with a belly band, but I'm kinda fat and it's not hard to notice if you know what you're looking for. I like the shield as a smaller option.
jellycheese
AG
For me, I'll carry any pistol that fits the following criteria:

* 9mm
* Striker fired
* No manual safety
* Replaceable sights
* Glock 19
El Chupacabra
Hello fellow firearm enthusiast!

I prefer to pocket carry a snub nose SA/DA revolver with the hammer cocked and no holster!

The advice to go rent or borrow as many guns as you can is solid. Find one you like and are comfortable with. 9mm is a fine cartridge for concealed carry, and the options are endless. A hammerless revolver in 357/38 is a good option too.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
G.W_Busch said:

Howdy!
So, I've had my CHL for a little over a year, and wanted to see if anyone had a specific caliber or style they enjoyed for their first concealed carry. Also, where's the best place to purchase if I'm wanting a used one? Thanks.
If you don't have endless amounts cashflow....I would standardize on a common round that is easy to shoot out to 10-15 yards and doesn't cost a zillion dollars to enjoy the activity of shooting. For me, it's the 9mm. 9mm is a good balance of availability, price, accuracy/range, stopping power, round counts in a magazine, gun choices. I switched to a CZ-P10C from a Glock 19. Glock lost my biz with the BS out of box crap that requires you to spend more money changing out sights / triggers / Grips, etc. It's BS Glock. CZ does it right straight out of the box and it's more accurate. I would highly encourage you to by an Optics Ready version, so that if you ever want to switch to a Red Dot Sight, you can, and won't have to send your slide in for milling work.

If you are brand new to shooting, I would stay away from the micro pistols. Find something where you can first learn to shoot with a full grip. CZ-P10C, Glock 19, Glock 48, Walther PPQ/PDP, S&W M&P Compact 2.0, Sig P320, HK VP9, CZ-P07, Berreta PX4 Compact, Sig P226....All roughly 15 round magazines with compact size for concealment, but you can get a full grip on them without your pinky dangling off the bottom.

08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Agree with your thought process, just Sub 308 for your 270 and it's a solid starting point.
F4GIB71
I strongly concur on trying several. Use the advice offered here for your choices but the one that fits you not someone else. A quality hostler is also important. I use Crossbreed and Comp Tac but there are many good ones out there.

One thing that too many don't consider is the belt. I carried for years before I discovered Nexbelt. First they ratchet at 1/4" increments so you can get it just right. If you go with them, be sure to choose one of their EDC options as they are stiffer than their standard belt. I bought one and, while adequate for carry, is not as good as the EDC which I have several.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
For a first carry gun, I like the J frame.

Buy an air weight/any of the lightweight models, and get some 38 wad cutters.

They won't recoil too much, they have adequate penetration, and they're reliable (which is not guaranteed in a pocket gun)

And, whether you chose to belt carry or not, pocket carry always has its place.
ArmaLite
Carried a handful of different styles and calibers.
Ive come to the conclusion that I personally want comfort then quantity of rounds more than size of caliber.

Presently I am carrying the Hellcat. 9mm with a high capacity for its size.
Ive found that when I carry a larger gun I find myself leaving it at home or the car more as its just inst as comfortable.

Above all, you need to be comfortable drawing a shooting. Practice practice practice.
CowtownJD
G43
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I agree with round count over power, within certain bounds.

Accuracy and penetration trump anything else, and once someone is carrying full-size, going up in caliber makes sense, to me.

Personally, I'd rather carry a G20 or G21 than a G17 - the extra rounds just don't seem that useful, and I don't find the G21 or G20 any more difficult to shoot. (Or, I did. My hand are now jacked, and I carry 5.7x28 pistols for my full-size ones)
G.W_Busch
AG
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty comfortable with a 9mm, but was also looking to get something smaller for when I'm going out in gym shorts or in downtown Austin. Any suggestions on smaller handguns that aren't going to be obvious that I'm carrying? Thanks again
JSKolache
AG
Good idea starting used. It will be cheaper & it's almost guaranteed you'll change your mind later, upgrade, downgrade, etc. Good machines like a quality firearm last a long time with basic care & cleaning, and resale value is high. I always buy used if possible.

I've been through 4 CC pistols over appx 20 yrs. Current daily is a G42. Smaller (slim and short grip) is better for me, but I found there is such a thing as too small. The smaller you go, the less sight picture you'll have & more barrel/wrist snap when firing -- both of which lead to poor shot placement. G42 is best all arounder for me thus far, but I'm certain there will be others in the future...
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
J frame with wad cutters. Get one with fiber optic or XS sights/have one installed.

I have a Rohrbaugh and a p3AT. They run, but I can't hit anything with them.
Cassius
9mm for sure.

I carry a SW MP Shield. It's more accurate than my Glock 17.
agsalaska
AG
For me, I can only pocket carry. I can't stand anything hooked onto my belt. Drives me nuts. Phones, tool belts, whatever. Can't stand it.

And pocket pistols are too small. The only answer for me is a j frame revolver. I use a 32 mag and a 38, depending on my mood. If not I would never carry.
UTExan
Revolver fan here. I carry a Ruger SP101 in 9mm at a 2 o'clock carry under an oversized shirt. 2-3 reloads in speed clips in the pocket and we are good to go. The revolver is a bit heavy at 27 ounces, but the short barrel and slim width make it ideal and it really soaks up the recoil. Alternative carry guns are my Makarov and Glock17, which is more difficult to conceal and draw.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
AgDaddy08-11
S
I have a Khar PM9. I carry between 3-4 o'clock. Sometimes it's pocket carry in cargo shorts. Seven shot with one in the pipe. Very happy with it.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Desert Eagle.

That's one great big old pistol.
I mean, fifty caliber.
Made by bad-ass Hebrews
MEengr03
I pick my 340PD over my G43 all the time.
bigfoot10s
AG
Shield 9 in a JM4 QCC holster is my go-to EDC.
MisterShipWreck
Since you asked about small handguns... I have found that the M&P Shield has much less recoil than any of the other micro 9mm handguns. The Shield shoots like a much larger handgun. I don't know how S&W did it.

I have an original Shield, and a 4" performance center one as well.

Just realize that a larger handgun is generally more fun and easier to shoot at the range. I typically carry a Glock 19, 5th generation.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I think the first post nailed it pretty good here. I don't think there's any reason to carry anything other than a 9mm this day and age.

There are so many good carry options in small sizes that really negate any need to carry a .380 - G43/X, Sig P365 or 320 compact, Hellcat, Shield, etc. And I'd much rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 7 rounds of .45 with today's ammo. I see a lot of recommendations here for revolvers. I love revolvers, but getting into a gunfight with 5-6 rounds is almost as terrifying as getting into a gunfight at all.

Any of the above firearms with a compact rail mounted flashlight (I think this is essential in a carry piece) in a good holster is a great carry gun. The addition of a red dot only increases their capability. I highly suggest you find a store/range that allows you to try different firearms. Champion in College Station will let you shoot 5 rounds through any of their rental guns for $5.

Regardless of what you carry, practice. I think that's the single most important thing you can do. Be able to draw and put rounds on target in under 2 seconds. Shoot against a timer. Take a defensive handgun course. Sign up for a local USPSA match. Watch videos of defensive shootings (Active Self Protection on youtube is a great channel).

FWIW, I carry a G43X, G26 (had it a while, kind of obsolete with the 43), and a G19X.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.