Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pre 64 Winchester model 94

3,065 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stbabs
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About to purchase a pre64 model 94 from a reputable dealer in San Antonio. I'm worried it's priced too cheap (what a good problem to have). Any glaring items I should look out for?

TIA
tlh3842
AG
Did you check the serial number? You can find a document online that shows the first serial number from every year for Winchester guns.

Whats your definition of too cheap? Some just don't realize the current market, so a normal price a few years ago would be crazy cheap today.
SquirrellyDan
AG
tlh3842 said:

Did you check the serial number? You can find a document online that shows the first serial number from every year for Winchester guns.

Whats your definition of too cheap? Some just don't realize the current market, so a normal price a few years ago would be crazy cheap today.

Serial number checks out, bought it for 620 which I thought was well under market.

I'll post pictures later today.
tlh3842
AG
Its definitely a good deal depending on condition and how old. But its also something people arent as familiar with, so nice find.
CS78
Check the bore condition.
Gunny456
AG
Squirrelly... Current Blue Book on a 1894 Mfg from 1940 to 1964 in 90% Condition is $650.00 unless it is in .25-35WCF. You would add 100 or double the value.
90% means it hardly has any blue wear, and a really nice bore and is considered very good to excellent under NRA value.

Edit to add... 95% is 750.00. Blue Book Values are considered retail pricing by most dealers.
A.G.S.
AG
CS78 said:

Check the bore condition.
^this

I inherited our family '94, bought new by great grandad around 1920.

When I put a light down the bore the rifling was almost non-existent due to all the fouling.

About 3 months of intermittent cleaning to get it back fresh.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Couple of photos…..

Jason C.
AG
That's a beautiful weapon. I know nothing about lever guns but I want one now!
Ag_of_08
AG
That is a beautiful rifle, dang...
SquirrellyDan
AG
Jason C. said:

That's a beautiful weapon. I know nothing about lever guns but I want one now!

Thanks, I know nothing about them but always wanted one. Now I just need to find some ammo, can't wait to shoot it.
Gunny456
AG
So how old is it by the SN? Nice gun.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Congrats! I'd say that was the going rate, maybe a good deal, 5 years ago. Now it's a great price.

Good time to start hand loading! I load these https://oregontrailbullets.com/xcart/30-cal-170g-rnfp-gc-309-100-coun.html over 4895. Classic load for a classic rifle. Mine are .309 though, looks like you can specify now. The right way to choose is to slug your bore, not sure how you do that on a lever action
RebelE Infantry
AG
Somewhat related- I would like to get my grandpa's 1948 Model 94 tuned up and restored. It's fully functional but would like someone to go over it and bring it back to tip top shape.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm in Houston but would travel for the right reputable guy.

Thanks
Gunny456
Gunny456
AG
Check out. www. Turnbullrestorations.com
Gunny456
AG
If it is decent shape and has a good bore It might be better to just get it tuned up internally but not mess with the stock or bluing if you want it to be more valuable.
Turnbull restorations are world class and will make it like new.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Awesome, thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm not so much concerned about the value as I am making sure it's in good enough shape to keep taking deer when I hand it down to my grandkids (God willing).
Gunny456
Aggieangler93
AG
Nice find squirrel!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Saltwater Assassin
AG
Damn that gun is beautiful!
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
midnightyeller
AG
I have my dad's model 94 that he bought new in 1961 after he graduated from A&M. Mint condition and cherished
boulderaggie
AG
Was my first rifle.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Gunny456 said:

If it is decent shape and has a good bore It might be better to just get it tuned up internally but not mess with the stock or bluing if you want it to be more valuable.
Turnbull restorations are world class and will make it like new.
The guns on Turnbull's website look absolutely beautiful. I emailed them for a quote and now I see why....their restoration starts at $4500, and that's if there are no parts that need to be ordered/replaced.

If I spent that much I'd never shoot the damn thing.
pdtnation
AG
I'd be a buyer if anyone has one for sale.
stbabs
AG
Graduated HS in 65 and treated myself to a pre-64 Model 94, about 61 vintage as I recall. Perfect condition.
Paid $65 bucks. Still have it. Maybe 2 boxes of ammo thru it in its lifetime.
My Aggie roommate borrowed it and got busted night hunting in the Navasota bottom somewhere.
Took about 6 months to get it back outta impound.
Oh well, a gun with no history is kinda boring!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.