Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Mountains Called

3,131 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by docb
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Ags weren't the only ones living it up in Colorado during the last couple of weeks. It was opening week of elk and mule deer season and I was in the hills.

Cold at night, warm during the day, can't draw it up much better than that. The hot weather had us sitting a lot of water holes and we saw plenty of wildlife. Deer, elk and bears. I only had a bear tag so that assured me of seeing everything else in big numbers.

No burn ban this year meant we could have plenty of story time around the fire at night. Lots of stories were told and some of them may have even been true. There's something primal about staring at a fire, it's just something you're supposed to do.

This trip was pretty special because I managed to talk my dad into going. He camped and hunted with us for a week. It was cool being in the woods with Pop and having nothing to worry about except for killing time. Memories like that will last a while.

Speaking of camping ... this ain't exactly roughing it. It's not 5 star but it's not far off.

When you're sharing camp with some Red Raiders, you've got to make sure and claim your ground.

Public land has it's moments, good and bad. Here's the bad. This guy came strolling through about prime time just making sure he scared everything in 2 counties off. He wanted to come chat ... I didn't have much to say.

Here's the good. This guy strolled by within bow range. Here's another chance to point out I didn't have a deer tag. It hurt a little.

Someone hunted here before me, a long time before me.

I didn't pull the trigger but we ended up with a few bears and a cow elk on the ground as a group. Heavy packs and late nights make for some good stories. Go in light and come out heavy.

The night before we left, the weather was perfect so we went ahead and took the tents down. There's something to be said for sleeping under the stars. It's about as good of a night of sleep as I can remember.

More of the views ...

Good trip, good weather, good company and then the Aggies didn't ruin it on Saturday. Not much to complain about!

Schall 02
AG
Beautiful pictures. Well done!!
O.G.
Incredible. Thank you for sharing.
SanAntoneAg
AG
As usual, great pics.
Naveronski
AG
Beautiful country.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Hooo…lyyyy…crap.

This is pretty awesome. Almost made me feel like I was watching Outdoor channel in Hi Def looking at this. Awesome post.

So how are you at taking pictures of hog/armadillo hunts…??
phorizt
beautiful pics. What unit was that?

I was supposed to be up there on my first elk hunting trip this week. Of course my son go covid last week so I had to stay home.
bam02
AG
Incredible!
Duck Blind
AG
Geez. And I choose to live in Fulshear.

Great pics. Thx!
Blue Duck
AG
Ha! I bet we could make that work!
Blue Duck
AG
We were in Unit 78
normaleagle05
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

Hooo…lyyyy…crap.

This is pretty awesome. Almost made me feel like I was watching Outdoor channel in Hi Def looking at this. Awesome post.

So how are you at taking pictures of hog/armadillo hunts…??

Here's an example....
zooguy96
Title fail. Was expecting different types of mountains.
matthewj042
txaggie02
AG
Incredible trip report and pics as always. Well done. That looks awesome!
chocolatelabs
AG
Awesome Report.

More details on bear hunting. you just watched a water hole and waiting for the bears to show?

did you have to draw the bear tag?
Blue Duck
AG
You do have to go through the lottery process for a bear tag.

Bear hunting for us revolves around either finding food sources or finding water in dry years. There were berries everywhere this year so it was hard to pinpoint one spot but the water sources weren't that plentiful. If you hang around water long enough in a dry year, you'll usually see a bear.
AgEng06
AG
chocolatelabs said:

Awesome Report.

More details on bear hunting. you just watched a water hole and waiting for the bears to show?

did you have to draw the bear tag?
As Blue Duck mentioned, you have to draw for a bear tag if that's your stand-alone license. If you already have a big game tag for the unit (deer or elkO, you can also add-on a bear tag for your same method of take during your allotted season (archery or muzzleloader).

Ex: I had an archery elk tag for that unit, I could add on an archery bear tag for $100.
AgEng06
AG
Also, fantastic pics and write-up, OP. I always love your posts.
TarponChaser
As always, love your pics and trip reports man.
dr_boogs
AG
What a trip, amazing photos, as always. Thanks for sharing!
InfantryAg
AG
Blue Duck said:

You do have to go through the lottery process for a bear tag.

Bear hunting for us revolves around either finding food sources or finding water in dry years. There were berries everywhere this year so it was hard to pinpoint one spot but the water sources weren't that plentiful. If you hang around water long enough in a dry year, you'll usually see a bear.
looks like your camp was a better food source than berries!
docb
AG
Heading to my mountain home on Monday. But I hunt fish.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.