Outdoors
Sponsored by

Night scope recommendation

1,468 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mbaag08
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a coyote problem. I don't see them but I hear them close to the house at night. Thanks
SMM48
AG
Budget?

So we can recommend something at least 3k over that.

Can go thermal route. Or night vision route.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Budget is extremely important here....
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
smstork1007
AG
jmazz
AG
I have this one I'll sell or trade:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078FHGXRT/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I just don't get to use it much.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Location? How much you want for it? May be interested if OP isn't
Wodanaz
AG
SMM48 said:

Budget?

So we can recommend something at least 3k over that.

Can go thermal route. Or night vision route.

Stiffens my nethers
jmazz
AG
B/CS. No clue on price…$50 less than that Amazon price so $300?
CS78
You just wanting to have fun or wanting them gone? MB650 is very effective.

rab79
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I have a coyote problem. I don't see them but I hear them close to the house at night. Thanks
Why is that a problem?
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
rab79 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Why is that a problem?

I don't know, maybe because they're viscous baby killers who eat family pets and terrorize people?
GeorgiAg
AG
rab79 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Why is that a problem?
They wake us up at night making a racket and the dog goes nuts. It's been going on for two weeks now. Maybe they'll move on, but I doubt it.

I also just want a night scope, so using this as an excuse to get one.
rab79
AG
GeorgiAg said:

rab79 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Why is that a problem?
They wake us up at night making a racket and the dog goes nuts. It's been going on for two weeks now. Maybe they'll move on, but I doubt it.

I also just want a night scope, so using this as an excuse to get one.
If you are in the country they will move on shortly if they are like our local pack, can't say anything about city coyotes maybe Ursus would know. Or you could just fire two blasts in the air with your shotgun, I hear that works.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
SMM48
AG
Budget?
GeorgiAg
AG
$500 or less
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Used wraith or pard would be the best bet.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
FrioAg 00
AG
What's the best I can do for ~$1-2k?

I've got a different problem, but one that could also use a thermal look at what's on my property at night.

I would be within 500 yards of what I want to see.
GeorgiAg
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

What's the best I can do for ~$1-2k?

I've got a different problem, but one that could also use a thermal look at what's on my property at night.

I would be within 500 yards of what I want to see.
Illegal immigrants?
jpb1999
AG
jmazz said:

I have this one I'll sell or trade:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078FHGXRT/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I just don't get to use it much.

I would recommend this with an upgrade to the IR light. Mine works good enough out to 150 to 200 yards or so...
FrioAg 00
AG
Similar. Thieves breaking into a property when I'm not there. Got about $20k in stuff so far.

I've locked it down now (hardware and monitored alarm), but when it's just me out here I don't mind sitting out in the field, drinking beer and waiting to see if they show up.

I suspect they are coming through the field, not the road.
GeorgiAg
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Similar. Thieves breaking into a property when I'm not there. Got about $20k in stuff so far.

I've locked it down now (hardware and monitored alarm), but when it's just me out here I don't mind sitting out in the field, drinking beer and waiting to see if they show up.

I suspect they are coming through the field, not the road.
That sucks. I live in a rural area. Guy a mile or so from me had a car parked in his driveway. He didn't see this but suspected that it was the case - they were breaking into his detached shed and truck. He called the sheriff and was told "it's not illegal for people to be in your driveway." He shot off a few shotgun rounds in the air and the sheriff's deputy asked him if that was "shots fired." Yes, he said, and then they said they'd come out. They stole some stuff out of his shed and truck.

Ridiculous. I have a great high window on my house near my bedroom that I can see my barn and most of the entryway to my property. A night scope would be good for that too.
FrioAg 00
AG
The thieves brought tools and unscrewed a panel of my barn, took some vehicles and a trailer plus some tools. They left many others still there - so I am sure they plan to come back.

There were some other clues they had come back a couple of times.

Like I said, the alarm, cameras and such should lock things down now - plus locks and cables that would slow them down and prevent smash and grab tactics.

But when I'm out here on unexpected nights by myself, I hide the truck and keep watch for them. Thermal scope would add some value since I suspect they'll be coming from the back.

GeorgiAg
AG
I know it's illegal, but I think booby traps ought to be legal for stuff like that.
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Dog got bit by a coyote right off TC Jester in Timbergrove a little after midnight yesterday. He was off the leash in a residential lot that's not developed yet. I didn't know it was a coyote until I ran at it to back it off the dog who was running towards me the other direction. Pretty wild. Was able to get a really clear picture of it from a distance before it ran off for good (the iPhone night mode is impressive). Dog went to the emergency room vet, got some stitches, punctured the muscle on the back leg, but he's fine. Certainly could have been a lot worse if not dead.

Would love to sit on my balcony and pop a coyote running up and down the power line or railroad strip of land. The amount of human activity and development around makes me apprehensive to set a trap out there, but there's plenty of space and places to hunker down if I wanted to shoot one. Problem then would be potential 911 calls for a gunshot. Not sure what the best route is but it sounds fun.

Should add a neighbor told me they saw what they thought was either a husky or German Shepherd out in this area from their balcony a week prior*. Have to assume it's the same coyote. Surprised how close they're roaming to 24 hour construction going on on Hempstead Highway underpass, railroad workers back a bit further, people all around.
GeorgiAg
AG
Yeah, I know you can just let them be. But when I was a kid and lived in Cali, one of my neighbor's dog got eaten. I guess it made an impression on me. It was a smaller dog and they were dumb enough to let him out at night. You could see big packs of them roaming the golf course.

You just generally don't want them around if you have small pets. Plus, as a kid I learned if they linger around too long, they get even more dangerous.

mbaag08
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Used wraith or pard would be the best bet.
TheEyeGuy sold me a PARD. Bought replacement batteries from a vape shop. Can't wait to use it this season!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.