Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog growled at my wife

25,582 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bpriefert
RDV-1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was out of town, so I didn't see it happen. But my wife said my dog Hilda growled at her, and she was scared.

I'm struggling with this because I love my dog, but can't have her scaring my wife.

Dog in question is a roughly 5 to 6 year old pit mix who is powerful, super stubborn and completely focused on me, but that is not violent. I've heard her growl at our cats, but the cats ignore her (they share a water bowl, sleep next to each other, etc.). I think she picked it up in the pound - she has barking displays with some other dogs, but when actually confronted she runs and cowers.

I think I either need to have the dog put to sleep, or arrange so that she is always at a kennel when I go out of town.

Opinions?
Picard
AG
Put it to sleep and never ever get another pit.

powerbelly
AG
Kill the dog. It shouldn't even be a question.
Wodanaz
AG
Your wife said she was scared and a dog is a dog. Lots of emotions can skew those facts, but it's a wrap on this one in my opinion.

Unless your wife is a b**** then they prolly both gotta go.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Pits aren't wired to be mans best friend. Get rid of it and don't have a bad accident on your conscience
AgLA06
AG
Well, I guess you now know the pack order in your house. And I don't necessarily blame the dog.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm a wife and a HUGE dog lover. We have 3. This is a big nope for me. It would take me a lot to make that decision but once this happens I'm out until the dog is gone.
GSS
One incident, that you didn't even witness, doesn't seem to be enough info to put a dog down.
How long have you had the dog?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Wearer of the Ring
AG
None of us ever want to read the "if only i had ..." thread.
FJB
AggieOO
GSS said:

One incident, that you didn't even witness, doesn't seem to be enough info to put a dog down.

I'm in this camp. Our dogs growl sometimes, and it's not a huge deal. It's how they tell you they don't like what is going on. Every dog and situation is different, but there's not enough info here.

Maybe the dog is a time bomb. Maybe your wife should take notes from the cat.
PharmD4
AG
Probably just need to separate them, keep her outsidejust give her plenty of food and water.

Not sure what you should do with the dog though
F4GIB71
I'm a big dog lover but never got the pit bull attraction. A friend's adult son had one that my friend had been around many times over a couple of years. The dog suddenly attacked my friend for no explicable reason. Another friend's young son was riding his bike in their neighborhood when he was attacked severely by one. Sorry, but see no redeeming value in the breed
RDV-1992
GSS said:

I've had the dog for roughly 5 years.

I said in the OP that she's 5 or 6. But if I've had her for 5 years she's around 7 years old.

She's part pit, part lab.
KT_Ag08
AG
If this was a kid and not your wife it wouldn't even be the same discussion. It's no different.
brew82
Instead of putting your dog down, you could take your wife to the vet and put her to sleep.
BCStalk
Too many good non aggressive dogs that need a forever home. Put it down and get another. Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs, but the risk vs reward just isn't worth it with a known aggressive breed.
AggieOO
KT_Ag08 said:

If this was a kid and not your wife it wouldn't even be the same discussion. It's no different.

My dog growled at my 2.5 year old about an hour ago. My daughter was hitting him with a Tupperware lid. Guess who got in trouble...it wasn't the dog.

Context is everything. The dog was voicing his displeasure with being hit with a plastic lid. He wasn't being aggressive.

If the OP had left the breed off his post, I'd guess he'd be getting some different responses. Either that or I I'm going to have a bunch of people telling me I need to put down my 9 year old weim, who has never bitten either of my kids.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Which one to muzzle.. so many decisions

trouble
AG
Was your wife hitting the dog with Tupperware?
powerbelly
AG
AggieOO said:

KT_Ag08 said:

My dog growled at my 2.5 year old about an hour ago. My daughter was hitting him with a Tupperware lid. Guess who got in trouble...it wasn't the dog.

Context is everything. The dog was voicing his displeasure with being hit with a plastic lid. He wasn't being aggressive.

If the OP had left the breed off his post, I'd guess he'd be getting some different responses. Either that or I I'm going to have a bunch of people telling me I need to put down my 9 year old weim, who has never bitten either of my kids.

The breed matters.
AggieOO
We can agree to disagree.

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.
Martin Cash
AG
GSS said:

It's a pit bull. That's all you need to know. The breed should be exterminated.
CactusThomas
AG
AggieOO said:

]

Yikes
GSS
Martin Cash said:

GSS said:

It's a pit bull. That's all you need to know. The breed should be exterminated.
It's a pit bull/Lab mix, that he has had for five years.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
AggieOO
CactusThomas said:

AggieOO said:

]

Yikes

I agree, she shouldn't have been hitting him.
drummer0415
AG
Put your dog to sleep, then go adopt another pit, and put that one to sleep too. Keep repeating until all the pits are gone.
03_Aggie
I'm gonna need to see a picture of the dog. If this thing looks like a lab then I think we need to go ahead and lump them in with the pits and started the extermination.
AeroAg1
AG
RDV-1992 said:

I was out of town, so I didn't see it happen. But my wife said my dog Hilda growled at her, and she was scared.

I'm struggling with this because I love my dog, but can't have her scaring my wife.

Dog in question is a roughly 5 to 6 year old pit mix who is powerful, super stubborn and completely focused on me, but that is not violent. I've heard her growl at our cats, but the cats ignore her (they share a water bowl, sleep next to each other, etc.). I think she picked it up in the pound - she has barking displays with some other dogs, but when actually confronted she runs and cowers.

I think I either need to have the dog put to sleep, or arrange so that she is always at a kennel when I go out of town.

Opinions?
I'll go against the grain here but why did the dog growl? Food/water scenario or did she just run up to the wife and growl out of the blue?
powerbelly
AG
AggieOO said:

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.

The breed matters. Different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. I have a Rottweiler and the first time he is aggressive towards my family will be the last. Pittbulls are no different.
SMM48
AG
I woulda shot that sob in the back yard. Growling at my wife..yeah bullllsh$:&
03_Aggie
powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

The breed matters. Different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. I have a Rottweiler and the first time he is aggressive towards my family will be the last. Pittbulls are no different.

What about labs? He said it is part pit and part lab? Maybe it's like 5% pit and 95% lab.
powerbelly
AG
03_Aggie said:

powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

What about labs? He said it is part pit and part lab? Maybe it's like 5% pit and 95% lab.

It's a dog from the pound. I doubt he has any idea what is, but it's enough pit to lead with that
AggieOO
powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

I don't disagree that different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. But a specific breed doesn't automatically make a particular dog aggressive, which you obviously know as a rottweiler owner.
03_Aggie
powerbelly said:

03_Aggie said:

powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

It's a dog from the pound. I doubt he has any idea what is, but it's enough pit to lead with that

I mean nobody is throwing out part lab without it looking somewhat like a lab.
cupofjoe04
AG
AggieOO said:

Context is everything.

I agree with everything in your post, for sure.

But I would contend that breed, and that breed's history, is part of the context. Without knowing the wife, the dog, or what actually happened- people are giving advice based on the context we have. And with pit in the mix, that changes things.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.