Outdoors
Sponsored by

West of Denver camping suggestions?

1,135 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
normaleagle05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're heading up to the Denver area to hang out with some Aggie friends the week after the 4th. Want to do two nights or so of camping in the mountains within about two hours of Denver. We'll probably be camping Sunday/Monday nights. Reservable car campsites are probably booked full, which is fine with me.

What I'm looking for is good Forest Service dispersed camping gems or other areas that suite my situation. Have a Jeep and a small camping trailer to haul gear. We can pretty much go anywhere that is legal. Would like to have good light hiking and off-road trails readily available.

Help me get lost, OB.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Fraser is beautiful this time of year.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Grand Lake/West side of RMNP is one of my favorite places in the world. I haven't been since the big fire last year though so not sure how rough it's looking now.
aggieforester05
AG
Further than two hours, but steamboat lake is incredible. I took this two weeks ago. There was a lot of camping areas around the lake.

ETA: Pano

ConroeAg
SanAntoneAg said:

I've been wondering, is that pronounced "fray-zur" or more like "Frazier"?

Looks like the first one to me, but we're headed there and I've got family members who are calling it "Frazier". I have no idea myself.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Camp Hale is neat
MouthBQ98
AG
We usually just drive until we found a national forest and then pulled out into one of the roadside campgrounds once we found one we liked. Maybe they have names and are on a map now, but before wireless internet, you basically had to stumble across them or know they were there.
Ragoo
AG
Nice set up. Looking for something similar with the ability to extend the vertical arms with the tent at about 6' above grade.
normaleagle05
AG
I think I'm mostly hoping for someone's recommendation on a site they stumbled upon. I've done the same in the Ouachita NF but haven't explored Colorado like that.
normaleagle05
AG
I plan to put together a walk around post once I've got the trailer a little more squared away.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Make sure there's at least one fatty in the group that you know you can out run.
FJB
HydroAG
AG
Fraser is a very nice area of the state. For a camp ground that may be available, St Louis Creek Campground on County Road 73 is a no reservations campground. Easy access from there to hiking trails in the Fraser Experimental Forest. The Continental Divide is not far from there and you can hike a portion of the trail. Devil's Thumb trail leads up to the Divide and is a nice hike with great views from the top. Also easy to get to Grand Lake or Lake Granby from there also.
SanAntoneAg
AG
ConroeAg said:

SanAntoneAg said:

I've been wondering, is that pronounced "fray-zur" or more like "Frazier"?

Looks like the first one to me, but we're headed there and I've got family members who are calling it "Frazier". I have no idea myself.

It's always been fray-zur to me but I'm a flatlander Texan, what do I know?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.