Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Backpacking Trip

1,216 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgLA06
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
11m old BMC. He's been running while I mountain bike 4-5 times a week b/n 6-15 miles depending on the day for the last 3 months.

Me and him are going on an 80m trip over 5-6 days next week. I'm a little concerned that he's carrying his own food. His starting weight is about 9lbs. What do y'all think?

Tried to post a pic but I don't have stars anymore. He's a little over 55lbs now.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I give my dog the light but bulky items to make more room in my pack for dog food.

Rain gear, puff jacket, socks, etc.
Woods Ag
AG
Good thought. I may adjust to that.

The trail is over 10k feet the whole time with lots of water crossings, so whatever he has is getting wet.
AgLA06
AG
Stuff sack and wet bag.
CBarrett12
AG
This is Amazing...Whereabouts are you going? Very cool!
Woods Ag
AG
Uinta Highline Trail - from Leidy Peak to Hayden Pass. Didn't want to do the first 20m as there is little to no water normally and we've been extremely dry this year. Little snow, not much rainfall this spring.

Normally this is a late July/August trail, but I've got the itch and bc of the lack of precip, it should be fine. Got a little packable pole, going to try to knock out the mileage from 5:30-2pm and then fish the afternoons
McInnis
AG
I'm taking mine with me on a backcountry trip to the Wind Rivers in late July. Been working with him to get him used to the pack which doesn't seem like a big deal to him so far?

I haven't decided on what to do for his shelter at night in case there is bad weather. He's too big to sleep under my tent rain fly. I guess take a tarp, some string and make an A frame for him? Anyone have any ideas on that?
LRHF
AG
McInnis said:

I'm taking mine with me on a backcountry trip to the Wind Rivers in late July. Been working with him to get him used to the pack which doesn't seem like a big deal to him so far?

I haven't decided on what to do for his shelter at night in case there is bad weather. He's too big to sleep under my tent rain fly. I guess take a tarp, some string and make an A frame for him? Anyone have any ideas on that?

We've done this a lot in the past. We would use a 2 person tent with an awning and the dog got the area under the awning.

I also use hammocks with a rainfly and dog can sleep below you
Woods Ag
AG
I've got a Big Agnes 3person tent that fits 2. I just plan on the dog sleeping in the tent with me and I'm going to hope he doesnt tear my down quilt or poke a hole in my pad.
AgLA06
AG
Woods Ag said:

I've got a Big Agnes 3person tent that fits 2. I just plan on the dog sleeping in the tent with me and I'm going to hope he doesnt tear my down quilt or poke a hole in my pad.
You could protect them with Tyvek
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.