Outdoors
Sponsored by

Back into hunting - rifles, calibers, glass ?'s

1,522 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JeremiahJohnson
Run N Shoot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It has been a long 11 years since I last hunted and during that time I sold off the rifles and gear to feed an AR obsession so I am starting from scratch. I am looking to see what recommendations there are with any new calibers or even rifles that are moderately priced ( maybe $800 or less?) and then decent glass that will not break the bank.

Rifle: Left Handed ( yeah I know). Past rifles were Browning , Ruger and Savage. Any others to look at? Looking at the Savage 110 so far. Stainless barrel with synthetic stock.

Caliber - loved the Savage 7mm-08 most of all. Trying to keep the caliber somewhat mild in the event my son / daughter want to try it out. Is the 7mm-08 still going strong?

Glass- had a Cabelas Alaskan in 3x9x40 and seemed to do the trick for my purposes. Probably will stay in the $400 range?

Use- most likely exotic hunting with my the kids. My son loved to go with me and just see animals so I anticipate my daughter would like that as well. Primarily meat hunts and just an opportunity to spend some time together.

Thanks for any info to fast forward me to 2021!
AnScAggie
AG
7-08 is a great round. Savage 110 is good, a friend just bought a Weatherby Vanguard.
BCStalk
Ruger American Predator can be had for under $500 and is a tack driver. Glass I would go with a Leupold VX3
dr_boogs
AG
Tika T3 is definitely worth a look. I'm a lefty and have it in LH in 7-08, absolutely love it. If you're around BCS and we can arrange a meet up, will gladly let you take her for a spin.
jtp01
AG
My 7-08 is one of my favorite shooters. It just seems to always stay true. Some moderate distance shooting 300+ yard shots and with the proper holdover and windage seems to perform well. My 13 year old has claimed it as his own.

As mentioned earlier the Tikka T3 is a fantastic rifle.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
.284 is a good caliber. .277, .264 and .243 are good ones too
TX_COWDOC
AG
Give the 7mm Mauser (7x57) a look. Time tested cartridge. Mild recoil. Comparable to 7mm-08. When time came to build my first rifle last year, I used a lefty stainless action with standard bolt face so I settled on the 7mm Mauser. Shoots sub MOA with the cheapest ammo out there ...PPU.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
SockDePot

Weatherby

Leopold vx3 4.5-14x50

Will be all you ever need
tamc93
AG
Run N Shoot said:

Thanks for any info to fast forward me to 2021!

2021 - Find ammo first then buy the gun.

Welcome back to the obsession.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
CTGilley
AG
Do you have ARs in calibers other than 556? Hit with those first?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I would go Tikka over the Savage. Smoother action. Caliber is just personal preference.
I currently hunt with a 6.5 PRC, but .308 would probably be better for ammo availability.
TX_COWDOC
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

I would go Tikka over the Savage. Smoother action. Caliber is just personal preference.
I currently hunt with a 6.5 PRC, but .308 would probably be better for ammo availability.
How many pelts do you have to trade for a box of 6.5 PRC ammo right now, Jeremiah?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Pelt count is getting too damn high. I am better off shooting my Hawkin Rifle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.