Outdoors
Sponsored by

DVM question

1,776 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OE_Ag11
OE_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question about labradoodle. He hasn't really been eating the last few days. Might get him to eat a couple of bites. When we entice him into eating more with treats or something else like beef broth he will eat the bowl of food. Then go and throw up. Thrown up food is all chewed up and it's not like he has had any lack of energy. Been in and out of the pool and running like crazy the last day and a half.

And suggestions on what we should look at or do?
Thisguy1
Change the food?

Sometimes not eating and throwing up when they do can mean they've got an obstruction but they're usually not very energetic when it gets to that point. Does his stool look ok?
OE_Ag11
AG
He is my fiance's dog. So I haven't seen him go since he was at my house last Wednesday. That one was normal looking and good sized.

Haven't really been paying attention to him go this weekend since he's been getting to hang out in the yard a lot since he hits the pool right away and we get tired of dying him off so he can come inside.
OE_Ag11
AG
He's been on this food for more than a year. And then the first bit of throw up before we got him outside was very dry. Just swept it up with a broom and didn't even get the carpet wet. The second, which I'm guessing was the rest of it outside was wet, and really light colored. Looked like the kibble had soaked in water for a few min. Which makes sense cause he threw up maybe 5 min after eating
aggiedata
AG
He could be overheating. Keep him inside in the AC awhile.
OE_Ag11
AG
This was after he was inside all night and morning. So not overheated in this case. They have the big swamp cooler fans, cover porch with other fans and the pool so was in good shape all yesterday as well. Wasn't like he was ever sprawled out with the tongue hanging out not being able to cool off just panting.
OE_Ag11
AG
Will add he is on neutro large breed food
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Not a vet but recent onset of lack of Interest in food could mean intestinal blockage caused by swallowing something like a nerf dart.

You mention that the pup is able to eat a little. Is the pup pooping?

Would take to a vet to get ultrasound or X-ray to rule out. Blockage is medical emergency.
Dr. Pete
Summer time heat can, does and will suppress appetite. DO not change his food. Do not soup it up. You've got to monitor for stool and if this persists another day it's time to have him examined. Pound of prevention vs cure deal
Dr. Pete
Dr. Pete said:

Summer time heat can, does and will suppress appetite. DO not change his food. Do not soup it up. You've got to monitor for stool and if this persists another day it's time to have him examined. Pound of prevention vs cure deal
. "Oh you know the thing"
OE_Ag11
AG
He has had lots of backyard time so we haven't been paying attention if he has been pooping or not. We are trying to pay attention more to see.

We did find out he stole some of one of the other dogs food and as far as we know he kept it all down. He also went back and ate some of the barf that didn't get cleaned up outside and once again haven't notice him throwing up. Just weird that he has done it a few times now this weekend. But he also trys to drink half the pool as he swims around so we figured that might have been causing it before. But this morning we kept him out of the pool before we fed him.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

He has had lots of backyard time so we haven't been paying attention if he has been pooping or not. We are trying to pay attention more to see.

We did find out he stole some of one of the other dogs food and as far as we know he kept it all down. He also went back and ate some of the barf that didn't get cleaned up outside and once again haven't notice him throwing up. Just weird that he has done it a few times now this weekend. But he also trys to drink half the pool as he swims around so we figured that might have been causing it before. But this morning we kept him out of the pool before we fed him.

Well keep an eye out and consult a doctor. I work in EMS with limited ability to assess what is actually going on with patients. Since the patient in this case cannot talk, it makes it more difficult. Definitely make an appointment sooner that later. Keep us updated please.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Sounds like our Lab's symptoms. Have your vet do a stool work up on Giardia. Parasite that dogs can pick up and can really do a number on them. Can pick it up from the pool and bird poop, etc. it can in some cases kill your dog if not caught. Hope you find out. I am not a vet, just dog owner.
OE_Ag11
AG
So far so good with dinner. Hoping it was just the excitement of being ip around her parents dogs and the pool and everything else.

Will keep an eye on him tonight and tomorrow
OE_Ag11
AG
How long does something like that take to set in. Hasn't really been around any dirty water for a few weeks before this started.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Doesn't have to be dirty water. The sources are numerous. Google it. We couldn't figure out what our Lab had. Mostly lethargic, eating then a little later vomiting, followed by bouts of diarrhea. Our AGGIE vet ran cultures on Giardia and it came back positive. My advice is have this possibility ruled out because it can be pretty bad if you don't catch it in time. It can also be passed to humans. Hope it's not this.
OE_Ag11
AG
He hasn't be lethargic at all. Quite the opposite, was like the energizer bunny. Hoping it was just a fluke the last few days. Will watch him close tomorrow.

Ate his whole normal serving when we got home tonight. And then was looking for some more.
OE_Ag11
AG
Pooped normal this morning. So guess was just too excited or drank too much pool water before he ate this last weekend. Will keep watching him this week but guessing it wasn't really anything
Mark Fairchild
AG
Good to hear. They do love the pool!
Cromagnum
AG
Could be many things.

Blocked GI tract from eating something they shouldn't have.
GDV.
GI ulceration.
I would think if it was microbes, it would be running out the back end too.

Go see your vet!

Disclaimer: I'm not a vet, but my wife is.
Noname124398
I would bet it is just due to the heat. Dogs typically slow down on food intake during the hotter months. The dog probably over-ate due to the added broth, chugged water, got over-excited/hot, and barfed.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difference between vomiting and regurgitating. Vomit is going to consist of digested food and stomach bile, and noticeable stomach contractions and retching. Regurgitation is going to consist of undigested food (whole kibble) and saliva. Vomiting is usually a sign that something is not right with the dog. Regurgitation is a totally normal process for dogs however and should cause less worry than vomiting. This is how they reject waste from prey animals (ex: feathers from a bird it just ate), or just getting rid of things that it does not need (like too much kibble and broth).
OE_Ag11
AG
Definitely would be regurgitation. There was no darker yellow color or anything like that with vomit, due to the bile.

thanks for all the replies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.