Outdoors
Sponsored by

Humminbird SI transducer help

748 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by winmck
WestTexAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Humminbird worked great all morning long while trolling, and sometime halfway through the day began doing this. It starts with a few lines every now and then, and then it actually got worse than what you're seeing. Before trailering, I powered in again and it seemed to run ok and didn't have any "misses" or "gaps" in pinging. Has anybody had this happen or possibly know why it is happening?

FriscoCoon
AG
Yes, mine did once, a few weeks back, but hasn't done it since. I have no idea why. Mine is a humminbird as well.

Gunny456
AG
Is it a Helix? Humminbird is having some software issues with them. Do they go away if you speed up a little? If so could be some air bubbles coming off the hull.
Mine did that and Humminbird support had me check software. All ok now.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I had it happen the other day.

Don't know the fix if there is one.
WestTexAg12
AG
So I think I found the issue
When we went back out on the lake this morning, the unit was working perfectly. About 30 minutes in, it started doing it again.

I had heard about interference (EMI) before on transducers and attempted some on-the-fly testing to see what was happening.

I realized that I had been using my aerator on my live well, alternating between auto and manual. When I shut my aerator off, my unit worked fine. Once I turned my aerator on, the transducer began doing this again. I also ran my bilge pump a couple of times and noticed that it was doing it. So now I know that it is either a voltage issue or an interference issue.

Well, about an hour later, we had hooked a couple of fish and I shut my engine off. When we were ready to go again, I started up my engine and my Helix shut off. Never had that happen before.

Another hour goes by with it acting up a few times, but only when my aerator or bilge are on. Finally, I killed the engine to work some jigging. When I went to start up my engine again, nothing happened. I had a dead battery. I switched my crank battery with one of my trolling motor batteries and everything started up perfectly and ran without an issue. Not a single bit of interference happened.

I now know that I either have a bad battery or bad alternator, and that when the helix has reduced volatage, it will still work, just very shotty like the image.
Stat Monitor Repairman
This makes sense.

There are some marine engines that have a dedicated wire directly from the battery to the ECM for this reason.
winmck
S
Hmmm, my Simrad started acting strange yesterday and we had the live well pumping, which we don't normally use. I bet that was my problem as well.Thanks for the tip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.