Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hog bait?

2,342 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
Wildman15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's your recipe? The most recent one I've heard is apple corn, lone star beer, and then either big red or kool-aid
Corps_Ag12
AG
Jello packets, corn, a little water and a little diesel to keep the deer from eating it
TacosaurusRex
Corps_Ag12 said:

Jello packets, corn, a little water and a little diesel to keep the deer from eating it

Same, except with kool-aid. Never thought of using jello packets, but will keep it in mind.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
SteveBott
AG
This but add a beer and throw in misc food scraps for a week. Open the top at your risk after a couple of days.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Corn
SharkinAg
AG
Add some yeast too
COSciAG
Always used koolaid, rotten fruit, any other food scraps.
BCStalk
Diesel and corn
CS78
Always wondered if any of these are actually any better than corn or just work because a hog is the only thing that will eat it.
TX AG 88
AG
i haven't done this, but i keep reading that the diesel won't deter the pigs but will keep other animals/rodents away from it...
S.A. Aggie
AG
Corn soured on Big Red
TacosaurusRex
S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

This is very San Antonio of you. You're just missing the barbacoa
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
S.A. Aggie
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

LOL!!! But it works!!!! BTW, I'm a briskets man. Don't really care for barbacoa.
New Boot Goofin
AG
In a 5 gallon bucket: corn, 3 packets of yeast, 2 cheap strawberry jello packets, 2 liter of cheap strawberry soda, fill the rest with water and let sit for 2-3 days. Use an auger to dig a couple of 3 foot deep holes, fill holes enjoy.
The Fall Guy
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

TacosaurusRex said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

LOL!!! But it works!!!! BTW, I'm a briskets man. Don't really care for barbacoa.

BALSPHAMY!!!!
TexAggee05
AG
04TXAg007 said:

In a 5 gallon bucket: corn, 3 packets of yeast, 2 cheap strawberry jello packets, 2 liter of cheap strawberry soda, fill the rest with water and let sit for 2-3 days. Use an auger to dig a couple of 3 foot deep holes, fill holes enjoy.
How far in advance do you fill the holes? Morning before a night hunt?
BrazosDog02
AG
Most of the folks whining on next door neighborhoods seem to have pretty good luck with St. Augustine. Usually after installing, the hogs show up. You could try that.
dodger02
AG
I was expecting a "White Claw and Luke Bryan" response a bit earlier in this thread.
New Boot Goofin
AG
Usually give it a day. Once they find it they will continue coming back until they root up every bit of it.
Warsteiner
SanAntoneAg said:

Corn

This
KISS
Rattler12
S.A. Aggie said:

TacosaurusRex said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

I just learned from Patti Jindrich that there's apparently 2 kinds of barbacoa.......her's looked extremely good and was made out of good cuts of beef,,,the other is the cheek and head meat that is very San Antonio
BuddysBud
AG
Rattler12 said:

S.A. Aggie said:

TacosaurusRex said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

I just learned from Patti Jindrich that there's apparently 2 kinds of barbacoa.......her's looked extremely good and was made out of good cuts of beef,,,the other is the cheek and head meat that is very San Antonio

Is that real barbacoa and fake barbacoa?

Real barbacoa is "slimy yet satisfying."
Wildman15
AG
BCStalk said:

Diesel and corn
sounds interesting, but a little concerning. I've got a lot of cattle and wildlife that will most likely come in contact with it as well.
TacosaurusRex
Wildman15 said:

BCStalk said:

Diesel and corn
sounds interesting, but a little concerning. I've got a lot of cattle and wildlife that will most likely come in contact with it as well.

It's not the most convenient thing in the world, but we dig a trench about 6-12 inches deep, depending on the soil. Then cover the corn mix in the trench. The idea being that it keeps it from the cattle and causes the hogs to do what they do and rut it up. It also keeps the hogs around longer because they just can't eat and run.
T. Boone Pickens
B-1 83
AG
04TXAg007 said:

A beer will work for the yeast component and adds extra smell
Shoefly!
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

TacosaurusRex said:

S.A. Aggie said:

Corn soured on Big Red

What the @#$%!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Corn and some Hogwild
Corps_Ag12
AG
JeremiahJohnson said:

Corn and some Hogwild

Used to do this but hog wild is a lot more expensive than jello packets
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.