Outdoors
Sponsored by

East Tx pond water clarity management referral

1,737 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gunny456
Long range Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a place just east of Lone Oak/Greenville in Hopkins County. Have 3 ponds that drain one into the next. All 3 used to be clear water (tea colored east tx clear) since mid 90s until about 2011 when I had the middle one dug to 30 feet deep. It's been chocolate milk ever since. I assume all three were line w clay and we obliterated the clay liner, and the remedy is to drain, line w fat clay, and fill. But before I do it I need a lake Mgmt consultant thoroughly familiar w pond clarity issues in the area of my place. Any recommendations?

Pond in question is about 100 yd diameter
Thx
Gunny456
AG
Long range. I am WFS from TAMU a lot of years ago. I do not consider myself an expert, not even a little bit. We had the exact same issue on our 4 acre lake on some property in MO.
I pulled out some old notes and book I had from class in Limnology.
I was really baffled of what to do and I read to take 5 quart glass jars and fill each with a sample from the lake. Then it said to set them in a dark cool place for a couple of weeks to see if the clay particles settled out.
If they did not clear up it meant the clay molecules had attached themselves to the water molecules or some such and could not settle out because of that.
In my case the samples would not clear up and stayed muddy. It then said to add a small amount of gypsum and shake the jars and then see if it would settle out. In my case it did. Something about the gypsum bounding to the clay molecules allowing it to settle.
I then talked with a MO fisheries biologist who also confirmed my results. I then bought gypsum and distributed it in our lake. In about 4 weeks it went back to the green color.
Then we found that clay was washing in heavy rains from a field that had been cleared.
I covered that drainage part of the lake bank side with rip rap rock to filter the run off and it has been ok ever since.
Maybe this might help you I hope.
The gypsum was easy to get. For my test jars I just put some gypsum from Sheetrock in them and it worked.
Can't tell you how much we put in the lake as the fisheries biologist handled it.
Long range Ag
AG
Thank you for the reply! Yes I'm aware and have done the jar test, no self settling/clearing. Next step is adding gypsum, alum, etc. But I figure ultimate solution is line pond w fat clay. We will see
OnlyForNow
AG
If you really went 30 deep in the pond, you could have hit a small natural spring or perched water table. The inflow of water in those cases will also add to turbidity.

A liner won't fix that.
aggiedoc100
AG
Lochow ranch lake management would be able to help you. Aggie owned and operated based out of Bryan but have a crew that works out of Tyler. They cover NE Texas and have been working with my lake in Hopkins county. Very professional and knowledgeable
"They say I'm apathetic, but I don't really care" Robert Earl Keen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Burdizzo
AG
Gunny456 said:

Long range. I am WFS from TAMU a lot of years ago. I do not consider myself an expert, not even a little bit. We had the exact same issue on our 4 acre lake on some property in MO.
I was really baffled of what to do and I read to take 5 quart glass jars and fill each with a sample from the lake. Then it said to set them in a dark cool place for a couple of weeks to see if the clay particles settled out.
If they did not clear up it meant the clay molecules had attached themselves to the water molecules or some such and could not settle out because of that.
In my case the samples would not clear up and stayed muddy. It then said to add a small amount of gypsum and shake the jars and then see if it would settle out. In my case it did. Something about the gypsum bounding to the clay molecules allowing it to settle.
I then talked with a MO fisheries biologist who also confirmed my results. I then bought gypsum and distributed it in our lake. In about 4 weeks it went back to the green color.
Then we found that clay was washing in heavy rains from a field that had been cleared.
I covered that drainage part of the lake bank side with rip rap rock to filter the run off and it has been ok ever since.
The gypsum was easy to get. For my test jars I just put some gypsum from Sheetrock in them and it worked.
Can't tell you how much we put in the lake as the fisheries biologist handled it.

This is the same chemistry behind lime stabilization of clay soils. Science!
Long range Ag
AG
Perfect! Thank you Aggiedoc. I'm also an MD, we oughta meet up at the new bbq place in Lone Oak sometime.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I've had good luck with Epi/Dma to settle east Texas ponds. I know a few people that use Dadmac
WestTexasAg
AG
Gunny456 said:

Got the same problem. About to try the same approach. Thanks!
Gunny456
swampstander
AG
We had a half acre pond that never cleared up after it filled. Talked to one of my WFSC profs about it and he recommended adding organic matter to it. My father in law rolled a round bale into it and the pond cleared up in about 6 months.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Southwest Aquatic
Gunny456
AG
Explain further please. More info if you can. Thx!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Those are the typical polymers used by water treaters to settle sediment in holding ponds. I assume that is what a pond treater would use. Some ponds I have seen people pump behind their boat and let the propeller mix it up
Gunny456
AG
Thank you sir!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.