Outdoors
Sponsored by

Out of state boat title and registration

1,210 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by austinrb10
Dropshot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seeking guidance on titling and registering a used out of state boat. I'm located in Harris county and trying to find out what forms, fees and where to turn in the paperwork. Any help is appreciated.
smstork1007
AG
I'd make a call to TPWD and ask them this question, they have always been very helpful, will tell you what forms you need. You will be going to both a TPWD office for boat/motor and a Harris County Tax office for the trailer. Enjoy the new boat and get out and use it, hard to have a better time than those spent out on the water.

Edit to add.

Looks like you will need PWD 504, can download off the following link https://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/boat-registration.php
Dropshot
The only TPWD office is in Austin, will I have to travel there to do the paperwork?
smstork1007
AG
Houston (North)
350 North Sam Houston Parkway East, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77060
(281) 931-6471

Houston (South)
10101 Southwest Freeway, Suite 206
Houston, TX 77074
(713) 779-8977

I've always used the one up north, but both should work. Also, call those before to verify you have what you need.
Whoop Delecto
AG
austinrb10
AG
You will need to get the empty trailer weight unless weight is already on title. Meaning, get the boat off the trailer, take trailer to a weigh station, and have the ticket register weight and VIN. They will not accept boat and trailer weight even with pictures, manufacturer weight stamps, etc. I fought it for weeks by going to different tax offices and still had to do this. Fee is based upon sales tax, registration sticker, and county.

Boat has to be registered at a TPWD location accepting registrations. Go to their site to see which is closest to you. Even now, due to covid, some locations are not accepting registration applicants. Forms are also on the site. Get a blank piece of paper and place over boat serial number, and use pencil to copy over to paper. Everything will be lined out on the site.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.