Outdoors
Sponsored by

A good day to smoke

2,298 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bbr4132
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got some ribs and chicken on the Pit Boss today. What y'all cooking today OB?
AG
Whatever the cook's assistant is serving in the officer's mess.

A little more tea, anyone? No?

Then you may return to your posts.
MPD280
Have a brisket point and two meatloafs going on the WSM. My amazing bride wants burnt ends for her dad tomorrow. No sub or I'd post the pics so far.
JAG03
AG
MPD280 said:

Have a brisket point and two meatloafs going on the WSM. My amazing bride wants burnt ends for her dad tomorrow. No sub or I'd post the pics so far.

Can you buy just the point or did you separate it yourself?
CowtownJD
Yes, you can just buy the point.
tsuag10
AG
I smoked about 20 lbs of pork butt on my WSM this morning to make pulled pork sammiches for lunch. We had a big group of hungry college kids over.

I like cutting the whole pork butt into a few slabs about 2 inches thick. Then I season them all up and cook to 205. Rest for 30min - 1hr and then shred.

I find that cutting them into slabs helps them cook faster and they have more surface area for seasoning and smoke. It also eliminates the super long, stringy pieces of shedded pork in a sandwich.

I Like Mike
AG
Thats actually a pretty good idea. How long they take to cook?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Tomorrow's menu, will be Tomahawks and Elk tenderloin!! Will post pics as I cook. Any suggestions for the Elk!!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not smoking, but grilled hot wings.

Half wings have been soaking in Louisiana hot sauce for 48hrs.

Others are just seasoned for the rest of the family.

Will toss them in some Kikoman Sweet and Sour sauce.

Wife made her famous jalapeño potato salad. It's a good day
I Like Mike
AG
Ribs came out pretty good on the Pit Boss. Still got a learning curve but they passed the taste and tenderness test.
tsuag10
AG
Usually 4-5 hrs. This was probably way too much meat for my 18" WSM, so I put a lot of smoke on it for about 3-3.5 hrs and then covered it with foil and finished it off in the oven at 350 for about 1 hr. I rushed it more than I wanted to but I was still able to hit 205 internal temp.
agfan2013
AG
Celebrating Father's Day early with the in laws, they wanted some smoked queso, so that's what they got. I'll admit, I was skeptical but it turned out pretty dang good and you can definitely taste some smoke even though it only take 45 minutes to cook.

Finished product:
dallasag00
AG
Recipe please!!
zachsccr
AG
Steaks and chicken quarters today.
Brisket tomorrow.
JimmyHouston
AG
That queso
BCStalk
dallasag00 said:

Recipe please!!

This
agfan2013
AG
dallasag00 said:

Recipe please!!

So here's what we used, but you can use your own favorite queso recipe, I know there are some purists that don't like using the velveta cheese block.

[url] https://www.thebarbecuelab.com/smoked-queso/#recipe[/url]

Anyways, instead of cooking in a crockpot or whatever you dump everything into a 9 X 13 aluminum pan and smoke at 250ish for 45-60 minutes in a bbq pit. It definitely will pick up a hint of smoke and changes the flavor slightly, everybody at the get-together really liked it and said it was nice to change it up.

bbr4132
tsuag10 said:

I smoked about 20 lbs of pork butt on my WSM this morning to make pulled pork sammiches for lunch. We had a big group of hungry college kids over.

I like cutting the whole pork butt into a few slabs about 2 inches thick. Then I season them all up and cook to 205. Rest for 30min - 1hr and then shred.

I find that cutting them into slabs helps them cook faster and they have more surface area for seasoning and smoke. It also eliminates the super long, stringy pieces of shedded pork in a sandwich.

I cut them into 1.5-2" slabs and take them off around 190, then eat them like a steak. Probably my favorite way to smoke pork.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.