Outdoors
Sponsored by

Blue Lacy Rehome

2,822 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCOBQ98
saltaggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I originally posted this in the classified section but some suggested posting it here. Thanks for any help

This is a very hard post for me to submit but I have to make an attempt to rehome my 1.5 year old blue lacy, Walker.

Walker has aggression issues, particularly in the evening and when we try to get him into his Kennel for the night. I have two young girls and I just can't have him around if there is any chance of them getting bit. Everything I've researched and spoken to the vet about points to him having anxiety and resource guarding.

98% of the time he is an amazing dog! Which makes this even harder. He's very intelligent, knows basic commands and is full of energy. He would be a GREAT working dog for someone with property.

I really hope that someone is able to take him in that has the knowledge, property size and time to work with him. My whole family is torn up over having to do this but I just can't put my children at risk.

I'm willing to drive a good distance within Texas to take him to a good home at no charge. Walker has been fixed, chipped, and has vaccines.

Please, if anyone can help it would be more than appreciated.

If you serious please send me a text to 713-857-7869. My name is Kevin.

Thanks
AggieFabricator
Just curious, but have you thought about investing in a legit trainer to work with him? I know it can run a grand or two, but it might be worth a look in to if you want to keep the dog.
TacosaurusRex
All I can do is recommend a good trainer. If you're interested please let me know, I would hate for you to lose a good dog.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
saltaggie06
Do you have any recommendations in the Houston area?
Woods Ag
AG
Man, I spent a lot of money on a trainer to work with our dog that had similar issues. She just hated kids and was scared to death you were going to steal her stuff. Really possessive, defensive, freaked out when something in the house was out of place or new.

Eventually the trainer just admitted that some dogs aren't going to change. I'm sorry to hear your going thru something similar.

We did everything, but eventually put her down when she attacked my kid.
will.mcg
AG
Sorry to hear that. That situation ain't worth risking injury to your children.

There are a couple of active Texas Lacy dog Facebook groups you can holler at. I would contact the breeder I got him from too. See if they want him. I'm not on Facebook anymore so I can't be more specific. I think one I used to be a part of was called Texas a lacy Game Dog. They have get together a for tracking & working cattle twice a year. They should be able to find a working home for Walker. I can find an email address for someone if you can't get them on Facebook.

Best dog I've ever had was a lacy. Going blind slowed her down a little bit.
bedofbrass33
AG
OP I'm sorry your dog is like that.

But you need to have the dog put down if it is not fixable.

True story. Blue healer rescue made up of crazy people takes in a dog. Either the surrendering family of the rescue people
can't bear to admit the dog is aggressive toward men and other dogs . My sister adopts the dog. The dog tried to bite me out of the blue while being rubbed on the back. He should have been put down by the original owners. Your dog you give up may end up biting someone else's kid.

It really sucks but please do the right thing.
coyote68
Blue Lacy's are wonderful dogs probably the smartest that I have experienced. They are are a true working dog that needs 1 boss and a job to do every day. They live and die by their instinct and are absolutely not safe around children. My experience is their instinct is to survive and they are fearful of anything that scares them or they perceive is taking their food. Lacy's love to be house dogs, but they are house dogs on their terms not yours. It takes a very, very experienced dog handler to understand how to deal with one. Be careful and get the dog away from your children. I know there will be some testimonials about how great "my" Lacy is, but the Lacy I was not bred to be nice, it was bred to control and catch other animals.
BCOBQ98
AG
Nothing to add except to say you are doing the right thing trying to rehome the dog. I went through this 3 years ago after my dog supposedly bit a neighbor, long story. I felt bad but in the end never regretted the decision. Ended up getting another dog a year later that was smaller and more appropriate for my situation. 2 years later all is great with new dog. I think we get breeds we think will be great but are in fact not appropriate for our lifestyles, myself included.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.