Outdoors
Sponsored by

Philmont in 2021....

9,818 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sully Dog
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad they're open, but in addition to masks required at base camp, masks also being worn while horseback, and any trek meeting another trek, just on the trail....gotta put on masks. Supposedly New Mexico rules. Unbelievable.
The BSA brass needs to grow a pair....but the trend has been just the opposite.
.Added: can you imagine the cleanliness of a mask, stashed someplace in a pocket or backpack, after a few days on the trail?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Troy91
AG
That does sound the official New Mexico state rules.

I wonder if the published rules will be strictly enforced. My guess is no.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not supposed NM rules. Definitely NM rules. Last I check, BSA can't move Philmont.

Hopefully they are revised before I go in August. But if not, I suspect I'll somehow make it through this harrowing mask ordeal. Perhaps not unscathed, but alive.
DiskoTroop
BSA has had brass in a long time.
harge57
AG
Yay Science!
ursusguy
AG
I am on "staff" at Philmont in about a month for a week. This is most certainly the NM state rules. During lead up staff meeting they made no bones about it, they really don't care what state you are from, you are coming to NM and they would follow NM's regulations.

During staff arrivals, they had a few coming in from around the country that did test positive during check in. They had procedures in place and everything went smoothly. Once on the ranch, staff was asked to not leave Colfax County.

I'm headed to summer camp with my son tomorrow. For the camp, masks are optional. They were one of just a handful of councils nationwide to conduct summer camp last year, and did so very well (also on the Council's Risk Management Committee, I see the data). Our troop's charter organization has requested that our troop use mask when mixing with other units. Alright, that is their call and didn't change our numbers at all (30 youth, 12 adults).

Philmont is supposed to be reviewing covid policies monthly with the state, I believe around the 15th. I hope they can back off a few things, but of not the masks have never been an issue to me. The kids are still having fun. Hopefully I'll see a few bears.

ursusguy
AG
At least in Base, yes they are.
Ol Jock 99
AG
harge57 said:

Yay Science!

You misspelled politics. But, their state, their rules.
ursusguy
AG
Different side note, finger and toes crossed, the forestry folks are on full alert for fire issues.
Windy City Ag
AG
My boy just got back from Camp Tom Hale and they did not wear masks in any setting, New Mexico gonna New Mexico.
TexasAggie73
AG
Have a great time. My son served on staff 3 years and I did a trek in 1966 and professional training school in 1976. Love staying at Casa del Galvin next door.
ursusguy
AG
Yep, I did stretch of 7 summers (plus a Fall/Winter/Spring) back in the late 90s/early 2000's. Most of that time as the Bear Researcher (with "field ecologist" tag in 03). I am going back as a Visiting Forester for a week. I get to sit at Hunting Lodge, and teach crews about fire ecology at the demo forest by Cito Reservoir.

Dad was a Ranger in 67, 68 and a comm driver in 69.
TexasAggie73
AG
My son's first summer was in 2003. He did health rechecks for two seasons and was a driver his third.
chap
AG

GSS
My son was on two treks, I was on the second one (1995). Great times, the boys all remembered the good stuff, forgot about the complaints they had during the trek.

I can (kinda) see being careful in base camp, people arriving from all over the US. It's the "on the trail" stuff that seems ridiculous. Basically 100% outside activity.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Old RV Ag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Not supposed NM rules. Definitely NM rules. Last I check, BSA can't move Philmont.

Hopefully they are revised before I go in August. But if not, I suspect I'll somehow make it through this harrowing mask ordeal. Perhaps not unscathed, but alive.
Well, it is pretty hard to move a ranch with mountains, streams, and trees!

P.S. Chope Phillips would have fallen over laughing at that one!
jwoodmd
CT'97
AG
Word from those who just got off the trail is masks are only being worn in base camp. Once you are on the trail and in program camps it's personal choice. Not sure if that's an actual rule change or just the difference between the written rule and the enforced rule. All year long they have said rules can and will change as they go through the summer.

My crew leaves in 10 days. We are pretty excited.

I just got back from merit badge camp at Bear Creek here in Texas and the only place masks were actually worn was in the chow line and while getting food. Other than that I didn't see a single mask worn. The camp director and program director were somewhat stressed about their up coming national inspection and how they would handle the various masking requirements and recommendations from all the different entities that had authority over them.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
ursusguy
AG
Yep, I'll be working out of a little pavilion about 75 yards behind where that photo was likely shot from. I've seen a lot of bears on that lake shore.

The TSI (timber stand improvement) work that the scout had been doing as conservation projects for 20 plus years likely saved the ranch in 2018. There was a lot of extreme and unusual fire behavior with the 2018 fire. The fire ran into Cito and the TSI site as a hot crown fire. The openness of the TSI site effectively forced the fire out of the crown and back on the ground, at which point in time they could actually tackle the fire.
ursusguy
AG
That would make perfectly good sense.
GSS

Maybe they posted this for the New Mexico bureaucrats...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Burdizzo
AG
CT'97 said:

Word from those who just got off the trail is masks are only being worn in base camp. Once you are on the trail and in program camps it's personal choice. Not sure if that's an actual rule change or just the difference between the written rule and the enforced rule. All year long they have said rules can and will change as they go through the summer.

My crew leaves in 10 days. We are pretty excited.

I just got back from merit badge camp at Bear Creek here in Texas and the only place masks were actually worn was in the chow line and while getting food. Other than that I didn't see a single mask worn. The camp director and program director were somewhat stressed about their up coming national inspection and how they would handle the various masking requirements and recommendations from all the different entities that had authority over them.

My son goes to Bear Creek tomorrow. Doing the Ranger program so he can get most his Scout rank stuff knocked out.
AgLA06
AG
I've been in Ruidoso 2 weeks out of the last month. Definitely not the policy there or on the Mescalero.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The BSA continues to disappoint.

Philmont '06
Eagle '07
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
ursusguy said:

Different side note, finger and toes crossed, the forestry folks are on full alert for fire issues.

Would you mind emailing me ( in profile) I have some questions about Philmont medical staff opportunities.
ursusguy
AG
This one has little to do with BSA
TexasAggie73
AG
They get most of their medical staff from the medical school at Kansas. Been a partnership for years. They send in medical students and faculty to handle the serious work. They do hire other to do rechecks and other light work. My son had just graduated from high school his first year and he medical rechecks. Not sure what other positions they fell in the health lodge with medical backgrounds. My son's last year he was a driver and would pick up people in the back country and transport them to the health lodge or to medical facilities that they had arrangements with.
MookieBlaylock
AG
My son is there right now

Yet to see him in a picture with a mask

ursusguy
AG
I had a reputation when it came to hauling Health Lodge patients. I usually drove the most beat up truck in the backcountry, it would beat me up.....and I usually avoided HL pickups. That being said, in true emergencies, I would actually call in to haul someone in (insulin pump went out, 85 year old super healthy dude completely locked up from gout, advisor knocked out by poorly felled tree, foot facing the wrong way at ankle, testicular torsion-that dude was absolutely miserable driving in).
TexasAggie73
AG
I'm just grateful that Philmont got to reopen after the fire and the pandemic closures.

Hope your son continues to have a great time.
MookieBlaylock
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

I'm just grateful that Philmont got to reopen after the fire and the pandemic closures.

The pics def reflect the fire

He seems to be having a blast
CT'97
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

TexasAggie73 said:

The pics def reflect the fire

He seems to be having a blast
Surprising that those with real on the ground experience seem to have a different opinion than those sitting behind they keyboards doing nothing.
Texas A&M - 144 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.
harge57
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

harge57 said:

Yay Science!

You may have missed my sarcasm.

I have been in NM for a couple hunting trips in the past year and none of the small towns i went through were even remotely following the state rules.
jwoodmd
harge57 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

harge57 said:

Yay Science!

I have been in NM for a couple hunting trips in the past year and none of the small towns i went through were even remotely following the state rules.
But, but, that doesn't fit the narrative he's trying to use.
AgLA06
AG
jwoodmd said:

harge57 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

harge57 said:

Yay Science!

But, but, that doesn't fit the narrative he's trying to use.

Are we in the same conversation?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.