Outdoors
Sponsored by

Solar panel talk

3,952 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgLA06
herbie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
may have missed but what type of batteries were installed. i remember the maintenance on our batteries for our MW radio sites was a pain. but that was before the advent of lithium batteries
chaca5151
For those that need help with the math. Heres the break down for our system.

75k solar/batteries + 18 for 24k generator that will literally run our entire house including AC units = 93k

93k - 27.9k (30% rebates, yes real numbers we got the check shortly after install) equals..

65.1k total solar investment

Now 65.1k- 30k start up for pole from road to our house plus the additional cost and travesty of having to clear 20ft of clearance through our entire property. Never even priced out the additional cost to clear because that was a no go for us.

We paid 35.1 over the startup cost of grid to be off grid

Now 35.1/15yrs/12 months = $195/month

And we keep our house cooled any where between 68-71 all summer long.

It was a wise investment for us.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
TAMUallen
AG
chaca5151 said:

75k solar/batteries + 18 for 24k generator that will literally run our entire house including AC units = 93k

93k - 27.9k (30% rebates, yes real numbers we got the check shortly after install) equals..

Now 65.1k- 30k start up for pole from road to our house plus the additional cost and travesty of having to clear 20ft of clearance through our entire property. Never even priced out the additional cost to clear because that was a no go for us.

Assuming everything lasts 15 years...

What's a realistic life of batteries on a solar system in constant use?
chaca5151
TAMUallen said:

chaca5151 said:

I'll let you know if 15 - 20 years.....
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
Prince_Ahmed
TAMUallen said:

chaca5151 said:

Between 5 to 15 years. Up to the 15 year side if the batteries aren't discharged because they're more of a backup, and on the five year side if they are regularly cycled some extent, especially in the heat - i.e. by someone living off the grid in Texas.

Best case with lithium-ion still isn't much over 15 years.
Ikanizer
AG
I have a DIY grid connected solar panel project on my cabin in Colorado. They reconcile the balance once/year in the spring and this year I got a check for $35. One year it was $7. It's fun to watch the meter run backwards but its mainly a hobby project. Switching to propane makes more economic sense (until they outlaw it for residential use).
cavscout96
AG
I was referencing propane, not NG
winmck
S
malenurse said:

MaxPower said:

Correct. You could probably wire it such that you can feed the grid or flip a switch to power your house when the grid is down, though no one installs enough to power their entire house during peak demand. I had my house spec'ed out and would have had to cover half my roof to come close to 100%.

If you are going off grid then you'd need a battery for storage so you can overpower on solar during the day, store some and use it at night.
Most neighborhood HOAs will not approve this.

HOA's can't restrict solar installations. There is a state law
AgLA06
AG
Ikanizer said:

I have a DIY grid connected solar panel project on my cabin in Colorado. They reconcile the balance once/year in the spring and this year I got a check for $35. One year it was $7. It's fun to watch the meter run backwards but its mainly a hobby project. Switching to propane makes more economic sense (until they outlaw it for residential use).
I'd like to know more about this please.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.