Outdoors
Sponsored by

Father's Day Grilling/smoking

3,858 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCStalk
Stringfellow Hawke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of doing Tomahawk steak. Anyone have a suggestion of where to get them? Live in Katy.

Also open to other suggestions.
smstork1007
AG
most of the bigger, nicer HEB's have prime Tomahawk every time i've looked for them. Sometimes even have them in Wagyu if your looking for that.
drummer0415
AG
HEB on Pin Oak usually has them. If not, go to Cherry Block Butchers on Hwy 90. It's a new family owned butcher shop that just opened recently.
Max Power
AG
I'm not in your area but Costco has tomahawk ribeyes on special occasion, might want to check there.
BCStalk
I've been buying mine at Sam's and they have been great. Highly recommend reverse searing it.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
BCStalk said:

I've been buying mine at Sam's and they have been great. Highly recommend reverse searing it.

I do like that cooking method!
dr_boogs
AG
How long and at what temp for a bone in like that? What's your internal target for the initial smoke? Was that tomahawk about 1.5 in thick?

I've done 225 a bunch and I seem to easily hit my reverse sear internal temp of 95 deg even after just 20-30!mins. That's with a grate thermometer and internal meat probe. I prefer the finished product after sear to be rare to med rare. Thanks.
BCStalk
A little under 2". Set on counter for an hour. Smoked on the pellet grill at 225 (grate temp closer to 200) for about an hour until it hit 110. Seared on a cast iron griddle for 3-4 minutes a side on a little butter. Finished temp was 130. My last one I pulled at 100 and it ended up browning the outer layer more when seared than I cared for so I'm going to pull the next one at 110 again. I also did another sear over flame that was pretty good, but I like the crust from cast iron more. This was the one I pulled at 100.
dr_boogs
AG
Cast iron is the way to go for sure. Thanks is for the info.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Check out meat masters off Fry rd. I don't buy a lot of stuff from them but have for work functions and also have a few friends that use them frequently. I've never been disappointed but HEB has good stuff, too.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Picked up elk tenderloin today from Meat Masters and going to look tomorrow for some tomahawks. HEB pin oak did not have any but expecting a truck around 10 AM.
bevokilla
AG
HEB has them and if they aren't in the case, if you ask they usually have them in the back. I did a reverse sear on the BGE for mine and it was fantastic.

Baby Billy
AG
This one came from Sam's a few weeks ago. Another vote for reverse sear

Rattler12
BCStalk said:

A little under 2". Set on counter for an hour. Smoked on the pellet grill at 225 (grate temp closer to 200) for about an hour until it hit 110. Seared on a cast iron griddle for 3-4 minutes a side on a little butter. Finished temp was 130. My last one I pulled at 100 and it ended up browning the outer layer more when seared than I cared for so I'm going to pull the next one at 110 again. I also did another sear over flame that was pretty good, but I like the crust from cast iron more. This was the one I pulled at 100.

Way over cooked ....imho
BCStalk
Agreed. When I pull at 110 from the smoker, I get a better medium rare. That one came out more medium than I prefer.
lotsofhp
AG
Is a tomahawk it's own cut of meat or is it like a ribeye or something with the bone still on it
B-1 83
AG
Paying $12/lb for bone and trendiness. Genius on the part of sellers.
1990AG
AG
B-1 83 said:

Trying one for the first time today. I'll report back whether or not it's worth it to me. I didnt pay $12/lb though

RushHour
B-1 83 said:

Do you expect me a post a pic of a normal de-boned ribeye on Insta? Get real. I have followers to please.
FSGuide
I picked up 2 huge bone-in ribeyes today (non tomahawk style) that I will reverse sear tomorrow.
TarponChaser
Just did picanha with homemade chimmichurri, grilled asparagus, and grilled mushrooms with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Too hungry to take pics but it was awesome.
MadDog73
AG
I am new to smoking meat. Bought a pellet grill couple of weeks ago. Do you have the cast iron griddle in the smoker or is it on another grill. Thanks.
1990AG
AG
Mine was a bit thicker that those above but did it the same way and it was phenomenal. 2 hours on the smoker to 110 and then 3 per side sear on the cast iron skillet. I actually did this in my grill so no issue with the smoke.

cupofjoe04
AG
Got home from work this morning, and just put a nice tri-tip on the smoker. Going to take it all the way to brisket land!!! Po Mans Brisket, quick and easy!

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Elk Tenderloin and Tomahawks going on the smoker around two.

clobby
AG
Inspired. Went to Kroger and bought one for the wife and I.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Cilantro lime chicken.

Been marinading for 2 days in vacuum bags. Trying some new techniques out for meat marinade.

FirefightAg
AG
Kroger had pork shoulders for 0.97 so I got a 9 pounder.

Brine inject
nealan
I grilled this

And some steaks
TheClaw07
AG
Reverse sear as well. Pull mine at 115 (oven for now but thinking about getting a pellet smoker), rest for 10 minutes the sear for a minute to minute and a half on the grill.

lotsofhp
AG
I reverse seared some super thick ribeyes but ended up over cooking them.

I've got a BGE with one of those set ups from the ceramic grill store. It lets you put a smaller grate down inside the firebox right above the coals. My 2 minutes each side seat I think was too much. It's crazy got down in there.
GSS
Put some pork belly on the smoker, after a six day cure. Smoked for two hours, pit at 180-190 deg.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
BCStalk
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.