Outdoors
Sponsored by

I'm gonna be traveling through a few eastern states, where do I need to eat?

4,443 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wodanaz
longeryak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Add DSSOLVR and Achetype to the brewery list.

My favorite IPA ever is Shiva from Asheville Pizza and Brew. Old school IPA but somehow creamy.
longeryak
Asheville breweries map
zooguy96
Cookout. LOL. They're average at best.

Bojangles for breakfast. They're pretty good. They've got sweet tea down.

Can't really recommend much in Knoxville that's right off the highway. There's a hole in the wall place called Victor's Tacos that's on UT's campus. They make good tacos (more So-Cal - but good). Culver's has good burgers (local chain). There's a local place called Double Dogs that has burgers, hot dogs, etc that is pretty good.

Knoxville has a pretty bad food scene. When someone here recommends an "authentic" Mexican place, I know that the salsa will taste like tomato paste and the queso will be cheddar cheese from a can.

We went to a food truck area park recently - and this is what "passed" for a steak burrito. Meat had zero spice - tasted like they boiled it. Rice was mushed together - looked and tasted more like polenta - but not even that good. I spit it out.

Bibendum 86
AG
Loveless Cafe outside of Nashville,
longeryak
zooguy96 said:

Culver's has good burgers (local chain).
Culver's is a Midwest based chain that started in Wisconsin. They have ~800 locations in 25 states including Texas. When I'm in the Midwest it is as close as it gets to Whataburger. Just have to tell them no mayo add mustard. https://www.culvers.com/locator/view-all-locations
I Am A Critic
Bibendum 86 said:

Loveless Cafe outside of Nashville,
Hard pass. It's nothing more than an overrated Cracker Barrel. Plenty of better food closer to Nashvegas. Pancake Pantry is awesome for breakfast.
zooguy96
longeryak said:

zooguy96 said:

Culver's has good burgers (local chain).
Culver's is a Midwest based chain that started in Wisconsin. They have ~800 locations in 25 states including Texas. When I'm in the Midwest it is as close as it gets to Whataburger. Just have to tell them no mayo add mustard. https://www.culvers.com/locator/view-all-locations

I had no clue. Thanks. I just always go through the drive though.
dtkprowler
AG
SALISBURY, NC: HAP'S GRILL

Awesome chili dogs!
zooguy96
I am considering opening a food trailer. I have a past in the food industry in college. Just something to do on weekends. Plus, the local food truck scene sucks.

I think I could do very well (I do tacos at the school fall festival to make $$ for my dept, and I get rave reviews).

I make my own salsa (it would be labor intensive) and I think I'd want to do street tacos and fusion tacos. Steak, chicken, and fish tacos and tandoori chicken tacos. Chips and queso if I could find an easier white queso recipe. Keep the menu simple.
marcel ledbetter
Some thoughts. Carolinas. Have awesome selections of pork at the grocery stores. I didn't know they made pork chop chops 2" thick. I felt my cholesterol rise involuntarily. I haven't tried to many east coast beers,but the options out here are severely lacking compared to the Pacific northwest.

Also,no one sells the two pint bottles or growlers here. A big $4 bottle of beer is a much better way to experience new beer compared to blowing $11 on a six pack.

Also, Carolina style pulled pork is all about the sauce. It's a no brainer. Buy/make a good rub, identify your favorite sauce and combine the three when the pork is smoked and you're golden.

Also, I'm in the Appalachian mountains in Tennessee tonight and its a little different than the area around Charlotte. It's much more peaceful here.
TarponChaser
Culver's burgers are fine for fast food but their frozen custard desserts are legit. Frozen custard is basically ice cream with more fat and sugar IIRC.
AgEng98
marcel ledbetter said:

Also, I'm in the Appalachian mountains in Tennessee tonight and its a little different than the area around Charlotte. It's much more peaceful here.

Smokies Cuban Cafe in Pigeon Forge is legit, if you're down that way. Also go to the knife store.
marcel ledbetter
I saw Culver's. I didn't even recognize they were a restaurant at first due to the architectural style of their building. They looked totally lifeless, more like a mortuary. While I was stuck in that miserable I-77 traffic, I decided they weren't trying to attract out of state business with that repellant architectural style. That said, had I known their burgers were a close second of Whataburger, I'd have eaten there every day!
Varmintcong50
Littons in Knoxville is legit. Excellent desserts.
marcel ledbetter
The Improper Pig in Ft. Mill, SC was good. Pulled pork is easy to make and they did a good job. The variety of sauces they offered was interesting and pretty good.
87IE
AG
In Memphis hit up Uncle Lou's

I'm not a fan of Memphis BBQ
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
AggieChemist
AG
I haven't had a butterburger in a while. Any place that lets you sub in fried cheese curds for fries is ok in my book.
marcel ledbetter
Highland Brewing in Asheville makes a pretty good beer.

Where do I go in Memphis for their style of bbq? That uncle Lou's looks really good, too.
AgEng98
marcel ledbetter said:

Highland Brewing in Asheville makes a pretty good beer.

Where do I go in Memphis for their style of bbq? That uncle Lou's looks really good, too.

Germantown Commissary
Three Little Pigs
Central

These three are the ones we frequent.

Interstate for the bbq spaghetti - their big sampler can feed three people. Good variety.

Pass on Rendezvous and Corkys
Texasyankee
Bojangles.

Carolina pulled pork sandwich with sweet slaw on top.

marcel ledbetter
Where can I get good bbq in Louisville? I don't need brisket. I'd rather try what these guys are good at.
AgEng98
I'm sure there's probably a decent place, but get a Hot Brown at the Brown Hotel - its the state dish at the place it was invented.
Sully Dog
EskimoJoe said:

just load up on Whataburger and take it with you
yankee chicago food
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Wodanaz
AG
Germantown Commissary still the move in Memphis? Trying to make dinner plans tonight.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Mt. Pleasant SC
https://www.pagesokragrill.com/

www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
Wodanaz
AG
Uncle Lou's next time. Have been highly disappointed with Central BBQ and Germantown Commissary now. Banana pudding may salvage the stop. We'll see.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.