Outdoors
Sponsored by

New to Hunting

7,021 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Adel
Adel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello All,

My name is Adel from Houston, TX and I am new to hunting. I found this form and looks like I could get some help.
I wanted to start with small game and wanted some inputs on where can I hunt for either Rabbits or Squirrels in or around 100miles of Houston area(Public land hunting only).

It would be great if someone is generous enough to let me accompany them on their hunting trip for me to watch, help out and learn. (willing to split cost and help out wherever needed)

Same goes with Fishing, Never fished but would love to start. (willing to split cost and help out wherever needed)
I already have my hunters-ed, appropriate license and firearm(.22lr).

Any help is appreciated!
Howdy Dammit
AG
I have no advice for you in the Houston area. But public land and Texas don't exactly mix. You'd probably be better off trying to make friends who own a little bit of private land. Hunting and fishing are some of the greatest joys and memories in life. It's a shame it's so hard to find a place to do it these days. Leases used to be a dime a dozen back in my old mans day.
TacosaurusRex
Welcome to your new obsession. Unfortunately I do not have any contacts in the Houston area, but like you I had to start on my own. This forum has been a great help, and I will take this opportunity to remember a TexAgs legend, NW80.

I was lucky enough to have a couple of friends in high school who had places, and I was able to get my feet wet. When I wanted to start getting serious though, I started paying for guided hunts. I would buy a doe hunt, and I would always say to the guide, whatever your thinking, just say it out loud. Doesn't matter how insignificant you might think it is, just say it so I can listen. Now 15 years later, my freezer is full after every season and I have a couple of different places to hunt, this will be the the hardest part unfortunately.

Good luck!
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
dummble
AG
SHNF fits your squirrel bill, you will need a hunting license. that's about all I know

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/
Sully Dog
Start by buying 1,000 acres in Doss /OB
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
RCR06
AG
You could do some guided hunts or fishing trips. More expensive, but you will probably be more productive and learn more from people who do this all the time. This is of course if you can't find someone to take you along.

The public hunting pass(that was linked above) in Texas is around $50 and gets you access to quite a few places, but can be limited depending on where you are located. I know of a public hunting property near me that allows squirrel hunting, but only with a shotgun. So just be prepared for some of those kinds of restrictions.
VegasAg98
AG
Good luck and it is extremely addictive. I've pretty much taken it to a ridiculous level of obsession. I'm newb myself after a 30 year hiatus.
Oruc Reis
AG
Look into joint your local Stewards of the Wild chapter!
rather be fishing
AG
dummble said:

SHNF fits your squirrel bill, you will need a hunting license. that's about all I know

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Do the NF lands also require an annual pass like the State hunting land?
phorizt
You might look into this:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/mentored_hunting_workshops/

Also ignore the people who discourage you by talking about limited public land hunting ops in TX and how bad public land hunting is. Yeah it isnt Montana but there are places to hunt and I wasted 15 years not hunting bc I listened to those people. I started hunting again several years ago(not in the Houston area) and have hunted public land only and had some amazing experiences.
angryocotillo
AG
Email me at username@gmail.com
montanagriz
S
Lots of public land to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Go to tpwd website. Purchase an annual public hunting license. You will get a book with land and rules for each piece of land.

In addition, look up army corps of engineers and find land on their website as well to hunt
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
what is public land hunting etiquette?

4 groups of hunters show up to the same public land, then what?
CS78
Motracicletraficificker said:

what is public land hunting etiquette?

4 groups of hunters show up to the same public land, then what?

#1 is respect he who got there first. Even if that means you have a bad hunt.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Adel, post up again, please. Tell us a little more about you. This board gets bots and other random driveby posts, so let us know you are legit.
Adel
Hello,

Okay, I'll start by saying I am not a bot and can pass the captcha test haha.

A little background on me. I work as a Software Engineer and have always enjoyed being outdoors as my father taught us the importance of nature. My late grandfather was an intensely eager and an avid hunter. My father however could not follow this passion throughout due to career commitments.

I've always wanted to learn to be an outdoorsman and a hunter but my quest to be one has been proving to be very difficult as I have no background/experience or friends who share the same. I am here to make connections/friends to be able to experience and enjoy more of it.

I have tried to reach out to many officials and fellow hunters but had no luck for the past 2 years. I have been trying to network with fellow hunters as well but there's so much I can learn by going through their stories.

Please be assured that my location will not be a problem for any sort of experience. I will come whenever-wherever given an opportunity.
Adel
Hello,

I just did. Please check you email. Looking forward to hearing from you. thank you.
Milwaukees Best Light
CS78
It might help if you shared your contact info.

What type of experience do you have with guns?
O.G.
You came to the right place. You might get some snark and sarcasm here...but you can also get real answers too.
I will leave it up to you to decide which is which.

MOST of the other outdoor forums on the interwebs are pretty much trash anymore. I don't even bother with them.
VegasAg98
AG
Really good folks on the OB. Some of whom have already responded on this thread. That's based on personal experience.

Adel
CS78 said:

It might help if you shared your contact info.

What type of experience do you have with guns?
Here is my Email: adel.darvish.ad@gmail.com
I will share my cell number over email, hope you understand.

I wouldn't say I am a professional but I am able to handle firearms. Been to indoor and outdoor ranges shooting handguns to higher caliber bolt actions and a few fully automatics. About to get my new .22lr and will be practicing with that as latest.

Adel
VegasAg98 said:

Really good folks on the OB. Some of whom have already responded on this thread. That's based on personal experience.

Indeed!
cahoots
Adel said:

a few fully automatics

Now that's how you OB
Noname124398
Sam Houston National Forest is about an hour north of Houston and will provide endless squirrel hunting opportunities.

First of all, you will need an Annual Public Hunting (APH) permit along with your hunting license which runs about $50. This will give you access to the SHNF as well as many other public hunting lands throughout TX.

Second, you will need to scout. Before putting boots on the ground, utilize satellite imagery to key in on potentially productive areas. Two apps/programs that i use often are Google Earth Pro (downloadable desktop version, not web version) and OnX (phone app).

I use Google Earth Pro to first key in on areas that look promising so i am not just wandering aimlessly looking for squirrel habitat. The historical imagery feature that is unique to Google Earth Pro is very valuable and the reason you will want to use the desktop version rather than the web version. I use the OnX app once in the field to keep me from getting lost (which is much easier than you might think). OnX gives you the ability to download maps for offline use and track your route so that you can navigate back if you end up lost. Your regular maps app will not load without phone service so that is useless if you get lost.

When searching satellite imagery for squirrel habitat (or deer/pigs), you are going to want to locate Oak bottoms (acorns). Oak bottom is pretty much synonymous with a creek bottom, so locate the creeks and you will likely find the oaks. You can also use your satellite imagery to find them. Typically there is a pretty noticeable contrast in the shade of green that will tip you off as shown below.

https://i.imgur.com/13eM66V.jpg
*not sure why pic isn't showing. I see it on my end.

Once you have found a few spots that look promising, double check them against the boundary map to ensure you are in a legal area (https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/resources/905.pdf) then go check them out. Take your gun in case you see some. If the first spot you look sucks, move on to the next one. Repeat until you have found the squirrels.
Adel
cahoots said:

Adel said:

a few fully automatics

Now that's how you OB
May I know what OB stands for?
cahoots
Outdoors Board. You can try to save money by driving an old truck, shooting grandpa's 30-30, taking vacations to your local city park, basically maintaining status quo, but you won't get that advice here. You'll be buying a custom rifle, 338 AR, Delta Force-quality thermal, 4 week safaris across southern Africa, and new RV hauling your custom Ford Raptor before you know it.
JSKolache
AG
Sam Houston National Forest is massive and nearby & is probably your best bet. I've never hunted there, so have no good recommendation on areas
Gilligan
AG
Squirrels?

Slowly opens back door and rifle muzzle emerges.
VegasAg98
AG
Couldn't resist...

CS78
I was able to meet up with Adel today. He was in for a hard introduction to fishing. Setting lines in the dirty-sota river bottom. He asked what to bring. "Boots you can get muddy, bug spray, and something to drink". Lots of mud, skeeters, and sweat!

Hadnt been out in a few days. Where'd the water go?

Took some snatching on but finally got it moving.

Adel had no problem helping out with baiting hooks.

Didnt take long to get on the board.

About 40 hooks set and waiting on morning. Will update tomorrow.

SanAntoneAg
AG
You are a good man, CS78.
tamc93
AG
Congrats!

Did he noodle it?
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Adel
Today was one of the best days I've had in a very long time! and a first for me with Catfishing, thanks to Casey and his friend Patrick. Casey is a great guy and even better as a mentor. Super cool person to hang out with.
Can't wait for tomorrow to hopefully get and fry up some fresh fish!!
Adel
SanAntoneAg said:

You are a good man, CS78.
Indeed, he is!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.