Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gold Prospecting in Texas.

2,628 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cupofjoe04
Post removed:
by user
rab79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Looking it up online shows that places like the Llano River can yield small results.. I'm guessing it's a similar story across the state. Maybe a little here and there.

Have any of you ever had luck in this state? I'm not saying to give up your honey holes if so, just wondering if it is a completely futile venture.
you will need access to private property
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Mas89
AG
Interested if anyone has had luck also. We have a lease on the River West of Llano. Have always wanted to bring home a trailer load of the red crushed granite that is in the creeks out there. Really cool rock outcroppings and rock fences built by the German settlers to keep in their livestock.
Post removed:
by user
C@LAg
I find it is easier and quicker to mug old people around Sun City in Georgetown and take their fillings.
Swarely
Go west young man
cupofjoe04
AG
rab79 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Looking it up online shows that places like the Llano River can yield small results.. I'm guessing it's a similar story across the state. Maybe a little here and there.

Have any of you ever had luck in this state? I'm not saying to give up your honey holes if so, just wondering if it is a completely futile venture.

This.
Most people focus on the Llano and its tributaries. But very little is all I've ever heard of. Also rumored was some gold in a creek in Bastrop County. But I'm thinking if the Spaniards didn't find gold worth while in all their efforts- it just ain't there in anything much more than trace amounts.

Very fine gold is hard to learn on for the hobbyist. It can be very frustrating, even when you know for sure it's in the dirt. Much more so when prospecting relatively blind.

If you really want to just test out panning for some gold- get a 3lb bag of concentrates from Gold Bay. They will provide you will several hours of fun, a little gold in every pan (if you do about a cup of dirt at a time), and a gram of gold in your jar at the end of the day. It's actually really pretty fun.

There are TONS of paydirt companies out there, and many are ripoffs. Dave at Gold Bay is straight forward about what is in his bags. I bought a bag 2 different times for my kids to have fun with as we learned to pan, and for something to do during frozen winters. Both times we got slightly more gold than advertised. It was a really fun experience, and helped us learn and be confident as we hit up some local CO creeks and found a little of our own.
SanAntoneAg
AG
rab79 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Is there a law that prohibits panning in public waterways i.e. navigable streams?
Doc Hayworth
That would depend if someone has ownership of the bed of the navigable stream by way of the Small Bill. If they have ownership, you may not be able to pan, without permission.
Independence H-D
You can do the same with aggregate from Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas. They will ship it to you.
Sponsor Message: Experience Our Name, Independence Harley-Davidson | The Party
Mas89
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Ever thought about getting a detector that ranges well for Gold and poking around out there?
I have thought about it but haven't gotten the detector yet. I doubt our ranch owner we lease from would like that but we have cousin who own a nice ranch East of Art where we could.

The crushed red granite out there in their creeks sells for around $80 per yard in the Houston area. IMO that is more of a sure thing than gold. They have discussed buying a big truck and trailer and hiring a driver to take a load a day back to Houston.
aggiedata
AG
Follow a certain Labrador around for a few days. Guarantee you would find more gold there than anywhere else in Texas.
Post removed:
by user
cupofjoe04
AG
It's super fun to find some, and especially with kids!

This is after a few hours of sluicing in a Colorado creek, and panning the concentrates. About 10-12 flakes and tiny nuggets. We found some flour gold too after meticulously panning again.
Not profitable by any stretch, but very fun!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.