Outdoors
Sponsored by

Aggie Ring and Lab

5,398 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by combat wombat™
a.froman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok guys, I come to you all because I think my lab might have ingested my Aggie Ring last night. I didn't notice it missing until this morning. I have searched everywhere to no avail. Unfortunately I have noticed in the past that he has tried to grab the ring off my night stand. I left to run an errand last night and my wife didn't notice but I have a feeling he grabbed it when I was gone. I have talked to a vet and they said it is after the fact on being able to induce vomiting, so they said he should pass it. My question is has anyone else had this occur and did the dog eventually pass the ring and if so what was the timeframe? Also did anyone else's dog have issues occur? So far he is acting normal which is good. Thanks
RingOfive
AG
Sounds like a real $hlty situation you got yourself into.
CanyonAg77
AG
This, too, shall pass.
AgBQ-00
AG
Good news is an xray would be able to see it easily unlike a kong ball chunk that one of mime swallowed a few years ago.

BTW: Are you the sausage king of Chicago?
txags92
AG
I hope everything comes out all right!
txags92
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Good news is an xray would be able to see it easily unlike a kong ball chunk that one of mime swallowed a few years ago.

BTW: Are you the sausage king of Chicago?
If you have any kind of a metal detector or pinpointer, you should be able to run it over his belly to see if it is in there.
a.froman
AG
Unfortunately, no metal detector. I appreciate the replies.

Yes, yes I am the Sausage King of Chicago
rootube
AG
Middle aged suburban dad ring dunk. You will still wake up smelling like dog **** but this version sounds way less fun.
Roc96
AG
This exact situation happened to me in January of'97, the day before the ice storm in College Station.
1). How big is the dog? If it is a full grown lab, the dog may pass it. Mine did not.
2). The vet can give the dog a medicine to help the dog vomit it. The ring was too heavy for my dog, Roc, to vomit.
3). They can use an endoscope to retrieve it. My ring was lodged at the pyloric sphincter, and all Roc's food was passing through the ring, into the intestine.
4) The ring will have chemical damage to it. Take it to the ring office and ask them to send it back to Balfour to be cleaned or repaired.

5). It won't look like it used to, even after they work on it.
Roc
rootube
AG
Roc96 said:

This exact situation happened to me in January of'97, the day before the ice storm in College Station.
1). How big is the dog? If it is a full grown lab, the dog may pass it. Mine did not.
2). The vet can give the dog a medicine to help the dog vomit it. The ring was too heavy for my dog, Roc, to vomit.
3). They can use an endoscope to retrieve it. My ring was lodged at the pyloric sphincter, and all Roc's food was passing through the ring, into the intestine.
4) The ring will have chemical damage to it. Take it to the ring office and ask them to send it back to Balfour to be cleaned or repaired.

This is why the lord made labs so adorable.
a.froman
AG
Thanks Roc.

He is a almost 2 years old and over 70 lbs so hoping he will pass it. The vet I talked too thought it was too late to induce vomiting. Guess we will wait a few days to see if it passes as long as his demeanor doesn't change
AgResearch
AG
Enjoy the poop ring like the keys from Gone in 60 Seconds
mandevilleag
AgResearch said:

Or the pot from Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke.
CaptnCarl
AG
Are you THE sausage king of Chicago?
agfan2013
AG
If you originally had a natural finish, hope you dont mind antiqued now.....
Gilligan
AG
I hope he takes big noticeable poops!

Good luck. I hope everything comes out ok!
WestGalvestonAggie
He'll probably be fine. Just keep an eye on him, but I had an English lab swallow a solid steel deadbolt that fell out of my front doorknob once. The actual SOLID STEEL BOLT itself. It fell out of the broken knob, hit the floor next to him, and before I could reach to pick it up he pounced and it was GONE! I can't even begin to imagine why he did that, but he pooped it out the next day. Labs are idiots.
CS78
I wonder what great dane taste like.............
Aggie369
AG
I think now it's actually a natural finish
CSTXAg92
AG
Be sure to post results
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

This, too, shall pass.
Absolutely true story time:

TAMU Galveston, 1982 Biology Class, Dr. Kanz.

We had a massive party and one of the village idiots swallowed the quarter while chugging. We immediately pounced with a myriad of potential internal digestion and poison issues. Apparently it worked because in Biology the next day he asked the hypothetical question: "Dr. Kanz, what would happen if someone swallowed some object that was not digestible?"

In his sport coat with elbow patches and pipe (not lit mind you) in hand, paused, looked to the ground then up at all of us in the classroom, he said "as they say, all things must pass". It brought down the house. Thanks for the memories.
jeremy360
There are apps on your phone that turn it into a metal detector. A real coarse one, but they do work. Can find a nail in a wall. Would thing a big ring would do it too.
CrottyKid
AG
I would take the dog in for an xray before I started sifting through poop for 2 weeks only to find that he carried it to another place in the house and dropped it.
hph6203
AG
I imagine it uses the induction charging hardware in your phone to detect magnetism of the object. Nails are interact with magnetic fields and would get picked up fairly easily, gold not as much.
wheelz
AG
Roc96 said:

It's worth more though just like those shatted out coffee beans.
Co-Host - Able Outdoors
a.froman
AG
Update: So far still no ring. If he doesn't pass it by the weekend, we will probably take him in for the XRay. Need to make sure he swallowed it as well as make sure nothing negative is going on. Any idea how long this passing process might take?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
DeadCiv
AG
It'll all work out in the end.
TarponChaser
mandevilleag said:

AgResearch said:

Or the pot from Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke.

Or the heroin suppository from "Trainspotting."
Moon Shadow
Radiograph (X-Ray) the abdominal area.
A man's Aggie ring should be pretty easy to spot on the radiographs.
Not there start looking around the house or start soaking and straining old feces from the yard.
Good Luck!!
SteveBott
AG
OP I had a Lab that thought June bugs were candy. So peak season I would turn on the garage light and let the dog chow down. She was a vacuum.

I noticed the bug in her poop a couple of days later
RM1993
AG
I'd think a cheap metal detector from academy would run less than an x-ray. Plus, if it's in there you can then use the metal detector on his poop rather than sifting through each pile for the next week or so.
Old Sarge
AG
RM1993 said:

I'd think a cheap metal detector from academy would run less than an x-ray. Plus, if it's in there you can then use the metal detector on his poop rather than sifting through each pile for the next week or so.
This. Plus they can be handy to have around.

The metal detector I got my son for Christmas several years ago has come in handy a couple of times. Once to find nails from a roof replacement (the magnets do not get them all), once to find a needed power washer tip that flew off into the grass to keep a project going, and one to find some metal fragments in an old garden we were cleaning up before tilling.
a.froman
AG
Aggie ring has been found. It was not in the dog. He had taken it off the nightstand and it was halfway across the room under a desk. Appreciate all the help and insight
el_scorcho
AG
Shoot. Was hoping to see a poop encrusted ring in your finale.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.