Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bear kills guide near Yellowstone

4,146 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 45-70Ag
TailG8TR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sad........sounds like it was a terrible way to go ..........

Bear kills guide
flyingaggie12
AG
What caliber is enough for a grizzly?
giddings_ag_06
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

45-70 and several Bullets into the chest
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
until the bear stops moving plus +2
TailG8TR
AG
More follow up info. Died of stroke on Saturday.......

Bear attack victim dies of stroke
cbr
AG
lol, the poll at the bottom "are you concerned about bear attacks enough to not use national parks"

jesus, no. i am concerned enough about dip**** government wonks and idiotic firearms rules to not use national parks.

combat wombat™
AG
Why would he be defending a moose carcass? I'm thinking that if the grizzly bear wants the moose carcass, I'll let the grizzly bear have it.
Alte Schule
flyingaggie12 said:

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/grizzly-bear-attack-in-montana-stopped-with-9mm-pistols/

Warning: Graphic injury photos
Ag for Life
AG
combat wombat said:

Why would he be defending a moose carcass? I'm thinking that if the grizzly bear wants the moose carcass, I'll let the grizzly bear have it.
I think it's just a horribly written article and the bear was defending the carcass.
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

Supposedly the FN FiveseveN pistol will stop one. Assuming you hit it in the head.
combat wombat™
AG
Ag for Life said:

combat wombat said:

I think it's just a horribly written article and the bear was defending the carcass.

That makes WAY more sense.

One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We actually fished on the Madison in that area last year. A fly fishing guide we fished with out of Twin Bridges told us really good fishing but lots of bears. This guy was probably further in than we went though.
AgResearch
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

577 tyrannosaur
Mas89
AG
flyingaggie12 said:

12 gauge slugs
ursusguy
AG
While you can't carry into federal facilities, the individual park regulations simply match the state regs.....until you discharge the firearm.

That being said, I still advocate for spray over firearms for most folks.
Serious Lee
flyingaggie12 said:

friend of my dads killed one about 25 years ago that charged him. took 4 shots with a 7mm rem. last one went perfectly in the head to where it broke its neck. i wouldnt be comfortable with anything less than an RPG
bdgol07
AG
Two options..

A buddy slower than you

Or

.22. Shoot your buddy in the leg and run
rockin_gh
AG
I carry a 5 shot revolver in .500 Linebaugh when I could be around bears. Might not be enough, but hope I never have to find out.
McInnis
AG
As in hunting shot placement trumps all else. This article discusses bear defense with firearms and documents several cases of 9mm's being used successfully.

Bear defense
cbr
AG
ursusguy said:

While you can't carry into federal facilities, the individual park regulations simply match the state regs.....until you discharge the firearm.

That being said, I still advocate for spray over firearms for most folks.
the old 'why not both' meme comes to mind.....
McInnis
AG
I do carry both. If I had time to choose I would likely use the spray first, depending on the circumstances. But I learned a lesson about spray last fall - be able to deploy it as quickly as you could a gun, and with one hand if you need to.

I was hunting elk with a guide who blew a cow call into some timber. We heard a whoofing noise and saw a brown blur coming at us pretty fast. We were required to carry bear spray by the outfitter and I had mine on my right hip. We started yelling at it and I pulled the can but then quickly realized that I couldn't get the safety latch off with only my right hand. My left hand was on my rifle sling and I really didn't want to let it go. So the bear spray went to the ground and I was bringing my rifle up when the bear turned and went the other way. I'll always have to wonder if I could have found that bear in my scope in time. I'm glad I didn't have to find out. That was quite an exhilarating 3 seconds.
AgsMnn
AG
McInnis said:

That was quite an exhilarating 3 seconds.

And the bear didn't get theirs.
McInnis
AG
He kind of did. The guide told me an elk had been killed in the area the week before and figured the bear was still feasting on it. He definitely accomplished his mission, we left him to his meal.
C@LAg
giddings_ag_06 said:

flyingaggie12 said:

for those of us that carry a 9mm on us, how many bullets is that
The_Waco_Kid
AG
About three more mags than you currently carry
.357 magnum is the only 9mm worth carrying.
giddings_ag_06
AG
C@LAg said:

giddings_ag_06 said:

flyingaggie12 said:

for those of us that carry a 9mm on us, how many bullets is that

All of them
agsalaska
AG
When I lived in Alaska we carried a Mosin Nagant Carbine a lot. It found its way into the trips quite a bit. We carried that gun deep into bear country but never shot anything. I actually found that gun again the other day rusting in my shed. I lost the bolt to it years ago. Those things were/are everywhere up there. I also carried a .S&W 629 that I still own and shoot.

Looking back on it I think the I would want a bazooka.
rootube
AG
Here's a better account of the incident.
Sully Dog
Thanks. Still not clicking on that cesspool website.

My sisters FIL was a hunting guide for grizzlies in Wyoming in the 50s. They used 30-06 at the time and he said none of them went down with a single shot. They usually took 3
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
45-70Ag
AG
Only been elk hunting twice with my father in law. He shot an elk one afternoon and it was left over night.

The next morning the guide said a bear had been in the area and we waited for what seemed like forever before approaching the elk to get it out of there. The guides dogs were going crazy, said they could smell the bear.

I remember the guide saying he had lost several dogs to bears and that eventually the best dogs always get killed.

That's about as paranoid as I've been that afternoon, deployment didn't have me that on edge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.