Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog needs a job!

1,306 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cupofjoe04
hook60
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a 2 yr old lab that is meant to be a working dog. He needs a mission. Any ideas what I could get him into? I have plenty of time to volunteer with him (therapy dog?). He has an incredible nose, but I'm guessing there are not any part time drug or cadaver dogs. Any ideas?
Txgunrnnr
AG
hook60 said:

I have a 2 yr old lab that is meant to be a working dog. He needs a mission. Any ideas what I could get him into? I have plenty of time to volunteer with him (therapy dog?). He has an incredible nose, but I'm guessing there are not any part time drug or cadaver dogs. Any ideas?
Here you go.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2021/04/15/busch-dog-beer-taster-job-20-k-prize/7234416002/
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
MouthBQ98
AG
There are tracking clubs and you can train them to track and then do volunteer work.
MrWonderful
AG
Why not train him to be what he is, a retriever? Don't have to hunt him to have a trained dog. Most of the training elements (handling off leash, etc) are beneficial to have in a dog anyway. Pretty easy to do yourself (to a point) and will scratch that itch he has.
hook60
MrWonderful said:

Why not train him to be what he is, a retriever? Don't have to hunt him to have a trained dog. Most of the training elements (handling off leash, etc) are beneficial to have in a dog anyway. Pretty easy to do yourself (to a point) and will scratch that itch he has.
Why do you have to be logical? It makes sense, but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone (adding value to the community and keeping him busy). I may get him up to par on hunting and leave the beer testing up to me.
aggiespartan
AG
We live near a place that does agility and other sport classes (like scent training) for dogs. Our puppy loves it.
texAZtea
AG
Retrieve for disabled vets?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Alamo Area Search and Rescue or a similar nonprofit in your area
highvelocity
AG
second working with a veteran organization or training him to be a tracking dog. advertise tracking services for wounded animals. the good dogs get talked about pretty quick.
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
MrWonderful
AG
Haha sometimes the obvious answer is the right one! I worry about stamina issues and overheating if you do SAR with a lab, most hospitals have a weight limit on therapy dogs cause although labs are awesome, they think they weigh as much as a lap dog.

If you really want to mix it in with volunteering, maybe do something like big brothers and big sisters? Mentor a kid and play with the dog all at once. Might have a kid who is scared of dogs though so that could be a swing and a miss too.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Not to derail, but I have an 8 year old lab that needs all day entertainment. She hasn't slowed down one bit and my wife and I struggle to wear her out! She is the definition of Energizer Bunny!
cupofjoe04
AG
MrWonderful said:

Haha sometimes the obvious answer is the right one! I worry about stamina issues and overheating if you do SAR with a lab, most hospitals have a weight limit on therapy dogs cause although labs are awesome, they think they weigh as much as a lap dog.

If you really want to mix it in with volunteering, maybe do something like big brothers and big sisters? Mentor a kid and play with the dog all at once. Might have a kid who is scared of dogs though so that could be a swing and a miss too.
This is a great perspective and suggestion.

Young labs don't make great therapy dogs, to be honest. You will find lots of places won't allow a dog of that size. I'm assuming you are asking because this dog has lots of energy- so us it in a constructive way. Mentor a kid and train the dog together. I'm sure a local dog trainer might even be willing to donate some class time or an afternoon to show you guys some pointers. You might introduce a kid to a career that changes their life...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.