Outdoors
Sponsored by

Second dog question

2,697 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cevans_40
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering getting a second dog. We have a 1 year old Redbone Coonhound that has been great and we are considering getting her a buddy to play with (A bluetick coonhound), especially when my wife and I are at work. My wife works near the house so she can stop in at lunch. Our Redbone doesn't seem depressed or anything but I do think she'd love to have a companion of the same species around and we have heard that they are definitely a pack oriented breed. We want to do it while she's young and still full of energy herself.

Wanted to hear from those who added a second dog to the mix.

Did you find it was beneficial for your current pup to add a friend?

Did you find that it doubled the cost of getting another dog or not so much since you already have a bunch of the supplies needed etc...?

Did you find it was easier to train a pup while having another dog around?

Thanks!

MouthBQ98
AG
Our subsequent dogs learned a lot of behavior from
The older dogs, and it did make some training easier. The dogs will sort of develop a "culture" of behaviors.
SunrayAg
AG
Our GSP was BSC until my daughter brought home a stray puppy one day. At first she didn't seem to like the new puppy. Now they are inseparable. It seemed to help her tremendously to have another dog around.

As far as the expense goes... There is no such thing as a free puppy.
dubi
AG
We had a 1 year old pound pup that had been abused; she was very withdrawn and hid from us. She benefited greatly when we adopted a 2nd puppy.

Do it!
Spoony Love
AG
Is that Redbone fixed?

If not, are you planning on breeding her?

Nothing to do with your questions but we have a fixed male and I absolutely love him. In combo with our blue heeler, they are a great mix. Just really wanting to add another red.
Aggie118
AG
She is fixed however I can give you the breeder located in Palestine, TX that I got her from. She's an incredible dog with great temperament.
Aggie118
AG
Spoony Love said:

Is that Redbone fixed?

Nothing to do with your questions but we have a fixed male and I absolutely love him. In combo with our blue heeler, they are a great mix. Just really wanting to add another red.

http://www.coonhoundcrew.com/
Doc Hayworth
Redbones are great dogs. Mine got along very well with all breeds except for chocolate labs. Anything that resembled that color, she hated with a passion.
aggiespartan
AG
We have an older dog and a hound puppy. I think she would have really benefited from another puppy because she has so much energy, but we can't do 3 dogs. She's a handful, but she really enjoys playing with other dogs.
Aggie118
AG
Doc Hayworth said:

Redbones are great dogs. Mine got along very well with all breeds except for chocolate labs. Anything that resembled that color, she hated with a passion.

In my opinion, most underrated breed.
Spoony Love
AG
Thanks. We may be contacting them soon.
dr_boogs
AG
Good looking dog OP. Aggie vet approved! She needs a buddy!
SteveBott
AG
I prefer my dogs 5-6 years apart. But your home and your dog(s) so go for it.
88planoAg
AG
Oh love redbones! We had a mix from the pound that was probably mostly redbone as an only dog, adopted as a 1-2 year old. Waited (too long probably) she was middle aged when we added our Blue Lacy. They got along great but she couldn't keep up with the lacy.

She has since passed and our Lacy is 10 but you would never know it. We just got a redbone, purebred this time but rehomed from a young adult who wasn't really ready for a puppy. The lacy loves having a playmate and the puppy did well with a big sister from the beginning. Wouldn't have wanted to have her as a young pup by herself.

Aggie118
AG
Since were posting pics..

Bassmaster
AG
We got this little guy last summer as a companion for our 9 year old Boxer, and because my kids had never had a puppy. Despite now being bigger, stronger, faster, and dumber, he has always understood that the old one is the alpha. We've never had any issues and they are best buds.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Two labs now. One is a little over 2 and the other is 7 months. They're only 10lbs apart right now... they're very good together despite having polar opposite personalities and drive. They do a good job of keeping each other busy and there is not nearly as much destruction as I anticipated.

Good luck!
aggiespartan
AG
Here's our hound with way too much energy even though you can't really tell from her pictures.
Ulrich
The last thing I want is a second dog learning from the one I already have.
jagged
AG
We have a golden and a GSP, both under a year. The golden on its own would be lazy and easy to deal with. The GSP is a high-energy psycho and often either annoying the golden, stealing his toys or amping him up into wrestling match. They both go crazy when we have people over so we have to lock them up usually. Think it all depends on their temperaments and how those intersect.

Expense-wise it's pretty much double and working from home with both of them has been a fair amount of work. They eat dirt, sticks and tear up the grass/landscaping so it's hard to just let them stay outside. Also the amount of poop is astounding, it's like a shovel-full everyday.

I like having both personalities, and the GSP is a real going Jessie that fetches like it's his damn job and can jump like he's Michael Jordan. The golden has his head in the clouds most of the time and would take or leave having his brother GSP on a given day I think.

Obviously they are young so we'll see how it goes with getting them fixed and getting them in training collars but may have to do some pro training too.

ChemAg15
AG
Someone once told me that getting a second dog is like buying your first dog an xbox
mpl35
AG
Aggie118 said:

Spoony Love said:

Is that Redbone fixed?

http://www.coonhoundcrew.com/
That is where I got my redbone back in 2005. had to put her down in 2015 due to cancer. She was sweet and a beautiful dog...except for the allergies.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats a good looking dog.
mpl35
AG
Oh. And my redbone liked being alone. Or with us. But not another dog. She didn't really want the new friend!
jopatura
AG
I also like a little more age difference in my dogs, but it's not an insurmountable problem.

I would train separately to begin with, then reinforce together.

My dog liked that we brought in a younger dog. It calmed his anxiety down, he stopped marking in the house, and you can tell he's a lot happier.

Cost goes up. You might have leashes and cages, but the dog still needs to eat and see the vet.
Aggie118
AG
Going to pick out the pup today. For those of you who have gotten a second dog, do you think it matters whether the second dog is of the same or opposite sex?

Thinking about changing things up and getting a boy since we already have a girl. We've never had a male dog before.
Rattler12
Aggie118 said:

Going to pick out the pup today. For those of you who have gotten a second dog, do you think it matters whether the second dog is of the same or opposite sex?

Thinking about changing things up and getting a boy since we already have a girl. We've never had a male dog before.
One squats to pee and the other lifts a leg....we have 2 of each and that's about the only difference
Seriously77
We added a 3 yr old rescue to our little pack a few yrs ago that is extremely dominant and the other 2 dogs are still scare of her. She belongs in a one dog family as she is a great dog just down right mean to the other dogs. The other two are buddies but this female lets them know who the boss is and they know it. Not the greatest situation, she is over 10yrs old now and as mean as the first day we got her.

One eventually will be the alpha so careful what u mix in.

cevans_40
AG
SunrayAg said:

Our GSP was BSC until my daughter brought home a stray puppy one day. At first she didn't seem to like the new puppy. Now they are inseparable. It seemed to help her tremendously to have another dog around.

As far as the expense goes... There is no such thing as a free puppy.

Are we the same person?

Ours was a stray that showed up and my youngest daughter would not let us get rid of. He plays hard enough with our GSP to keep her somewhat under control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.