Outdoors
Sponsored by

The pit boss Lockhart

3,991 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TarponChaser
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Platinum-Lockhart-WiFi-and-Bluetooth-Wood-Pellet-Grill-and-Smoker/961906172

This looks neat. You think I could smoke sausage or cure bacon in the top?

Thanks for all the help y'all
maddiedou
AG
You are gonna have to make a decision one of these days otherwise all your meat will be freezer burn
maddiedou
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I'm bad at making long term expensive decisions

Heck I dated my wife for like 8 years before we got married
Maximus Johnson
AG
Following. If I buy an easy bake it will be between this model and a grilla. Really like the idea of being able to smoke sausage on this grill.
Aggie118
AG
anyone know anything about the basic Pit boss pellet smoker 700 square inch? Thinking about pulling the trigger.
texags08
AG
Gravity fed wood/charcoal is the way to go. Smoked a pork butt for 11 hours with real wood smoke, then cranked it up to 600 degrees to grill some poppers and dogs. I haven't used mine as much as I should, but it basically replaced my stick burner and likely will get rid of the gas grill too.

On the 11 hour smoke I used 3/4 of the hopper and only had to tend to spritzing the pork. Held temp within 5 degrees the whole time. Left in the middle of it for 3-4 hours and monitored temps from WiFi.

I have a Masterbuilt, but I know other brands are coming out with them as well.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
TX_AG_10
AG
Another vote for the Masterbuilt.. I love my 560.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I think the grill linked is trying to do too much for not enough money. Anything that will truly do it all will be much more expensive. Lower priced do it all stuff usually doesn't do anything well, or it will do one thing pretty well and everything else half assed. What this grill will do best, no clue.
SharkinAg
AG
I have a regular big pit boss. Can't remember the model. It works but I wish I spent twice as much and got a rec tec.
rather be fishing
AG
Just buy an offset stick burner and do it like real bbq is supposed to be made.
Maximus Johnson
AG
rather be fishing said:

Get off the internet and send smoke signals like messages are supposed to be sent
rather be fishing
AG
Shallowminded14 said:

rather be fishing said:

Get off the internet and send smoke signals like messages are supposed to be sent
butthurt pellet grill owner alert
AgEng06
AG
texags08 said:

Gravity fed wood/charcoal is the way to go. Smoked a pork butt for 11 hours with real wood smoke, then cranked it up to 600 degrees to grill some poppers and dogs. I haven't used mine as much as I should, but it basically replaced my stick burner and likely will get rid of the gas grill too.

On the 11 hour smoke I used 3/4 of the hopper and only had to tend to spritzing the pork. Held temp within 5 degrees the whole time. Left in the middle of it for 3-4 hours and monitored temps from WiFi.

I looked the Masterbuilt up, and it's really interesting. I was looking into getting another gas grill anyway, so I may pick up a 560 to see if I like it.

Which model do you have? Any real pros/cons you've found with it?
TX_AG_10
AG
In my experience, the safety switches are the biggest flaw. There are 3, one on the grill door, one on the hopper door and one on the ash bin door. When any of these open, the kill the fan. I've bypassed them all. It's very easy to do, just twist the wires together. You do have to be mindful of opening the hopper chute when at hot temps.. That will turn in to a furnace and shot up flames pretty quickly. You can always turn the grill off and turn it back on if you need too. Some people install manual flip switches to kill the fan as needed.

Most charcoal seems to burn pretty good. B&B lump can sometimes get bridged/stuck in the hopper. Briquettes run great. I layer wood chunks in the hopper as well as in the ash bin.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

So you use the wood chunks/chips for the smoke, the briquettes or lump provides the heat, correct?
CorpsTerd04
AG
Don't know about the Lockhart but the Platinum Series Laredo 1000 is great. I have enjoyed mine and have no issues. Performs as advertised.
The Wonderer
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Proof that you cannot commit to where to put your meat
TX_AG_10
AG
That's correct. I've found the most success on long cooks with B&B Char-logs. They burn long and don't have much ash. I normally buy the bags of wood chunks at HEB. I normally find my self adding 1-2 chunks every 1-2 hours. I did a 14hr brisket cook and never had to refill. In my experience the Kingsford briquettes burn pretty quick.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The Wonderer said:

Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Proof that you cannot commit to where to put your meat

I have only put my meat probe into 1 piece of ham, that's the dedication I have to finding the right one.

TarponChaser
Buddy of mine just got one a couple weeks ago and he's loving it.

His "other" pit is a 30' long competition-size stick burner. I'm gonna be helping him out cooking over Memorial Day I think- we're selling briskets as a fundraiser for our boys' baseball team.
Racer X
AG
Nice looking but likely made in China

https://smokergrillgirl.com/who-makes-the-pit-boss-smoker/
TarponChaser
Racer X said:

So?
texags08
AG
AgEng06 said:

texags08 said:

I looked the Masterbuilt up, and it's really interesting. I was looking into getting another gas grill anyway, so I may pick up a 560 to see if I like it.

Which model do you have? Any real pros/cons you've found with it?

I got the 560. They are refreshing their lineup, so the older ones are cheap. Only real con so far is that the app doesnt give me a graph on the probe temp for the meat. Just shows the temp.

I guess a con/inconvenience is the way the smoke exits. There is just a slit in the back, no stack. I'm looking for ways to funnel that in one direction.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
txags92
AG
TarponChaser said:

Racer X said:

So?
Guess there isn't anything wrong with it as long as you are ok with the big guy getting his 10%
AgsMnn
AG
Looks cool, and looks like a PIA to assemble though.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
TarponChaser said:

Buddy of mine just got one a couple weeks ago and he's loving it.

His "other" pit is a 30' long competition-size stick burner. I'm gonna be helping him out cooking over Memorial Day I think- we're selling briskets as a fundraiser for our boys' baseball team.
he got the lockhart?
TarponChaser
Yup
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.